Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Audi R8 that was originally a US car, then brought into Canada and the instrumentation cluster swapped out to metric units. I want to return it to the US and swap back the instrumentation cluster to imperial (English) units. Any idea if you can re-burn the correct mileage into a used imperial cluster (assuming I can find one), or do I have to buy a new cluster from Audi?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve heard that if you order a new cluster, that Audi will preset it in Germany prior to shipping to the dealer. For a used one (part #420920980G or 420920980N), I’m hoping that the software can be accessed to make the necessary change.

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
I'm afraid that if you buy a used one, you will NOT be able to reset it to anything other than what it is (or making it contain "implausible data" - essentially useless) - these are tied to the VIN through an immobilizer part of the Instruments and BCM modules. While scanning the data is possible, rewriting it is not - there is a good reason for this - new modules that have zero checksums (at birth) are a slightly different story for coding though ...and are only programmable-settable once.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. Since i have been able to change the digital electronic readout from kilometres to miles on my existing cluster, is it possible to just swap out my current km/hr speedometer with a used mph imperial units speedometer (instead of the entire cluster)?

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
You can open the unit and swap just the dials.

Or you can swap the whole unit out.

From what Osman (R8 Stuff) has told me, it’s plug and play, and all the info in the computer transfers to the new cluster.
Perhaps this is only the case when keeping units the same, and not switching to Kph/mph.

I’d contact him and ask, as he has access to get you the dials, and knows how to swap things.

I’m swapping mine from the standard black to the white gauges.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hope you are right about the computer info transferring, as that conflicts with statements from some of the others in this discussion. White background looks slick! Let me know how the swap out goes. How do I contact Osman?

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
My comment was made ABOUT the computer (module) info, NOT merely the display of it ...

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Roger,

I tried re-reading what you posted.
For clarification

scenario 1: what the OP is wanting to do (changing his units out) is not doable without a brand new cluster from Audi?

scenario 2: swapping cluster from US car to another us car. Plug & play?
Does the screen not just read what is stored in the cars system? Or is that info stored in the actual cluster?

If so, that means that you can only swap a virgin cluster in via Audi and a used one is no good?

Used ones = open unit /Dials swap out only?

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Actually, I think this is not so difficult if all he wants is the dials from a US car - the range and sweep of the mechanical dials is the same I think - just the numbers reversed or perhaps the metric ones don't even have MPH. the digital readout can be switched back and forth so that isn't an issue in the first place - so your scenario 2 seems the correct best option AND the least electronically invasive if he's mechanically inclined enough and willing.

IIRC, the cluster DOES contain the actual ROM for the display mileage, BUT it is coordinated with BOTH the BCM (Body Control Module - central electronics) and Immobilzer (part of the Instruments module) where it looks at the registered VIN. You can easily change the BCM or Instruments modules outside the cluster but the installation coding must be done together and in a particular sequence to work correctly (and the keys need to be re-programmed too). This cannot be done with VAGCOM alone, needs VAS on line with Audi DE. And also IIRC, sometimes even disconnecting these with power may need a recoding on the same car, same cluster, same modules ...

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
Tried delete duplicate post but apparently cannot anymore ...

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Roger than you for the info.

When I swap mine out, I’ll be taking the whole interior apart to put back together. And this will be all done at an Audi dealership (Nemesis Autosport/[email protected] Wilmington)
So the entire build will be done by certified Audi techs.

Recoding keys isn’t an issue for sure.

Glad to hear I can just swap cluster out without having to break it apart to change dials and needles.

Thanks for the info!

Joel

·
Registered
400 Posts
I had my cluster replaced with the white one at the dealer. They used info from my current cluster to program the white gauges.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
RNLabas is correct on this.

Some further clarity:

The issue with replacing the entire cluster is that only an Audi dealership can code this with your immobiliser online. Otherwise, your car will never start again! Most are reluctant to do this for you - unless you buy the cluster from them. Approx $1,200

The other solution would be to open the cluster and replace the speedo dial itself - they are only plastic and can be easily swapped. You need to pop off the needles to access the dials, which are 3D plastic shells. However, this will NOT work in the OPs case as the scaling is different between MPH and KPH clusters. On MPH clusters the 12 o'clock position is 100mph (16 kph), on KMH it is 140kph (87mph).

Besides changing the entire cluster, there is only one other solution. There is a special custom made insert that we can obtain which installs on top of your existing speedo dial. This is correctly calibrated for proper translation from KPH to MPH.

Please also note that the temp gauges for US spec vehicles are in F. RoW are in C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts