Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 07 S4, I was able to swap the Sirius sat tuner module for an XM one as they had the same interface. (it's what I'm used to - I've had XM since they launched). This was really easy. You just swapped them out in the trunk. Is this possible in the R8? Not sure where the box is.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
In my 07 S4, I was able to swap the Sirius sat tuner module for an XM one as they had the same interface. (it's what I'm used to - I've had XM since they launched). This was really easy. You just swapped them out in the trunk. Is this possible in the R8? Not sure where the box is.
I pretty sure they both have a common interface. I have not swapped one for the other, have you checked with a car audio shop?

My 04 S4 had XM. The choice probably comes down to sales & marketing - who gives Audi the best deal for MY##.

The receiver is located under the parcel shelf. Note that the manual kind of supports a common interface theory by simply referring to the "Satellite Radio" rather than Sirius or XM.

http://thesaylors.net/automobiles/R8_Sat_Radio.pdf

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I finally got around to pulling my Sirius module out, and yup, the units are swappable. Slight difference in that newer (08+ I think) models (not just R8, across the board) were shipped with Sirius only and have a single connector for the antennae. Terk makes an adapter that people on other Audi forums have reported working with success (Terk XM-SP) to connect the single lead antennae to the dual lead XM module. Anyway, the modules themselves haven't changed in years other than there being both XM and Sirius ones designed to work with TPS and others not designed to mingle with TPS (there were communication issues with earlier ). As long as you have one that works with TPS you are good to go to use it in any late model A3, A4, S4, R8.

So, I have a 8E0 035 593 M (Sirius) and I am looking for an 8E0 035 593 E or 8E0 035 593 G (XM). Either will work. Anyone want to swap or sell me for less than the dealer? Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts