Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
i had my R8 now for almost 4 years and still loving it, but was thinking to swap to another car as the warranty is about to expire .

do you think it is a good idea? I am wondering if the car price would go higher by end of this year as Audi is looking for electric supercar which makes this car unique ?

i am thinking of the new Porsche GT3 .

share your thoughts please

Thanks

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
the GT3 is the only car I have and would consider selling my R8 for as well but in my case would cost considerable cash on top to make that deal and just never could justify it.
It is tempting though and I dont think you are wrong to consider it at all. Finding one without $50,000+ markup if you are looking for a new gen is another story :)

·
Registered
2020 R8 V10 Performance Coupe Ascari Blue
247 Posts
I agree with @dinkman I love my R8 and I am so happy with it but GT3 is only one car that keeps my head turning every time I see it on the road. Just to compare, when I bought the 2020 R8 performance for under $180K, 2018 GT3 was around $155K but now you can't get the same car under $190K. And the new 992 GT3 is going with a markup of (in some cases) $100k+ (San Diego Porsche had a car few weeks ago for $330K with a base price of $220K). With that kind of markups, if I need to buy a new car between R8 vs. GT3, I would still pick R8 for various obvious reasons.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I like the GT3 and had a chance to drive the 991.2 GT3RS a few times however its much slower on all around (my 991.2 carrera with upgraded turbos is much faster). It really needs to be in the higher RPM's to get it going (not just to enjoy it). It does feel more special every time its driven though but I feel like it'll get old after a while.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I like the GT3 and had a chance to drive the 991.2 GT3RS a few times however its much slower on all around (my 991.2 carrera with upgraded turbos is much faster). It really needs to be in the higher RPM's to get it going (not just to enjoy it). It does feel more special every time its driven though but I feel like it'll get old after a while.
That is my fear about a GT3. If you can’t drive it normally at 6k+ (Street only), it’s nothing to write home about. If I had the means to grab a 997.2 GT3RS and set up just for track duty...that would be a perfect car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sold my R8 but will not sell my GT3 touring......best car to me I have ever had....
Part of the reason is I absolutely want a manual. That's one reason why I sold the R8.
Thought about a gen 1 but just dont love the styling and dont want an older car either.

Some of you say that the GT3 can only be enjoyed in upper revs but I felt the R8 is boring if you aren't pushing it to upper revs and going way too fast.
Otherwise its just a very nice Audi but nothing super exciting to drive. But I think that can be said of most, if not all, fast powerful sports cars.
At least the GT3 can be a manual and more engaging.

Not at all hating on the R8! I really liked my car and in some ways I miss it. The V10 is awesome. But I prefer GT3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sold my R8 but will not sell my GT3 touring......best car to me I have ever had....
Part of the reason is I absolutely want a manual. That's one reason why I sold the R8.
Thought about a gen 1 but just dont love the styling and dont want an older car either.

Some of you say that the GT3 can only be enjoyed in upper revs but I felt the R8 is boring if you aren't pushing it to upper revs and going way too fast.
Otherwise its just a very nice Audi but nothing super exciting to drive. But I think that can be said of most, if not all, fast powerful sports cars.

Not at all hating on the R8! I really liked my car and in some ways I miss it. The V10 is awesome. But I prefer GT3.
Its much easier to sell a RWS than a V10+, its basically a base car. The V10+ actually feels decent in the mid ranges with its larger engine.. hop into a GT3 and its feels no faster than most economy cars under 5k RPM. The GT3 is and always be a special car, but lack of low to mid end torque makes it for a dull drive most of the time IMO. The Turbo S is a much more fun car on the street and capable at the track, or a GTS if you want RWD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks every1 for your feedback, any idea on R8 price if it is going higher ? as no info on newer version except fully electric .

·
Registered
'20 Kemora Gray R8 Performance
194 Posts
Here's my 2 cents. I love P-cars. The 911 variants, especially GT cars, are serious track weapons. The GT3/GT3RS are indeed precision track cars. The R8 Performance/V10+ is definitely faster in a straight line but not as engaging and lacks handling compared to a GT3. I personally couldn't DD a GT3 as some do and I much prefer the R8 as a Jack of all trades supercar. To each his own. As many have stated, the 992 GT3 is stupid expensive right now with horrendous dealer markups and there seem to be no shortage of people willing to get ripped off. If I really wanted a track weapon today, I'd look at the GT4RS and the GT2RS, which both are stupid expensive as well. A less expensive alternative is to buy a 911 GTS and mod/tune it. I once owned a 991.2 GTS that was pushing 600HP with bolt ons and a stage II tune. All it needed were ICs, a 3rd radiator, and better brakes, and it would have been a very potent track weapon. If you have an itch for a GT car, I don't think anything can scratch that itch unless you get the real deal, if you know what I mean.😉 Life is short and go with what speaks to you, if you can/are willing to pay to play!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

thats good feedback from someone who has owned both, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not a great time to buy any car right now especially higher end sports cars. Case in point, the local Porsche dealer has a 2019 GT3 for sale with an original MSRP of just over $160k. Their asking price? $225k. As far as buying a new one you can forget it unless you are a long time customer at your local Porsche dealership and also want to pay way above MSRP.

I had a 2017 R8 and loved it but decided on a GT3 and was fortunate to get one a few months before prices started to sky rocket. Both the GT3 and R8 are fantastic cars in each their own ways. We are fortunate to be in a position to wrestle with such a decision.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've owned two 911's (997.1 turbo manual & 997.2 turbo) so they always have a special place in my heart.

I love the performance of the 992 GT3 but I can't get used to the looks...maybe it'll grow on me but definitely not at the moment. And I've seen so many locally here already and I live in Ohio, not LA or Miami. They just came out and I already know of 4 people who have one and seen two others on top of it. Porsche is definitely cashing in on all the money in circulation nowadays.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Couple of observations not already mentioned. I'm UK based so not sure if this will differ in other countries
1) You aren't able to buy an halo Porsche models without already having a long and expensive history with the dealership. So unless you've already bought many new cars from Porsche you won't get a chance at buying a GT3 new from a dealer.
2) The Porsche owners club is VERY active and absolutely brilliant. I could join clubs meets, socials, drive outs, track days every Saturday and Sunday if I wished. The club is organised by county and so depending on where you're based you may have multiple regional clubs organising events to keep you busy weekday and weekend. I've been a member for two years and have had a very positive experience.

·
Registered
102 Posts
2) The Porsche owners club is VERY active and absolutely brilliant. I could join clubs meets, socials, drive outs, track days every Saturday and Sunday if I wished. The club is organised by county and so depending on where you're based you may have multiple regional clubs organising events to keep you busy weekday and weekend. I've been a member for two years and have had a very positive experience.
I couldn't agree more with this statement. We have PCA (Porsche Club of America) here in the US and it's a very active and organized group. I'm still an active member and their newsletters are always filled with local events. The group is very active and it's one of the best parts about owning a P-car. One of the best aspects (IMO) to the car community in general are the experiences and the friends you make.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I've owned two 911's (997.1 turbo manual & 997.2 turbo) so they always have a special place in my heart.

I love the performance of the 992 GT3 but I can't get used to the looks...maybe it'll grow on me but definitely not at the moment. And I've seen so many locally here already and I live in Ohio, not LA or Miami. They just came out and I already know of 4 people who have one and seen two others on top of it. Porsche is definitely cashing in on all the money in circulation nowadays.
you must run in a very exclusive group of people. i live in one of the richest areas of the country and havent seen a single one in person yet lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
you must run in a very exclusive group of people. i live in one of the richest areas of the country and havent seen a single one in person yet lol
Maybe.. But I've been in the Porsche community for awhile and those guys have tight-knit relationships with the Porsche dealerships here. Every time a new GT3 comes out, the same group of guys has to have it like it's the new iPhone.
Personally, I don't have the same deep pockets to grab a new GT3 every year. Almost bought a 991.2 manual GT3 in 2020 for $150k and that's more of my wheelhouse. That same car is now $200k 😭😭
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
'20 Kemora Gray R8 Performance
194 Posts
Just prior to acquiring my R8 Performance, I went to go test drive a new Cayenne. There must’ve been 5 very lightly used GT cars including one GT2RS in the show room. The GM approached me begging me to take one home and I’m not even a “VIP” at their dealership.😁 This was a couple of months before all the craziness started. Hindsight is always 20/20. I think in 2 more years, this bubble will burst. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Just prior to acquiring my R8 Performance, I went to go test drive a new Cayenne. There must’ve been 5 very lightly used GT cars including one GT2RS in the show room. The GM approached me begging me to take one home and I’m not even a “VIP” at their dealership.😁 This was a couple of months before all the craziness started. Hindsight is always 20/20. I think in 2 more years, this bubble will burst. JMHO.
lets hope so but i think its only going to partially 'pop'. while standard car market might come back down to reality once factories have enough workers and supply chain issues for parts calms down, there's been so much wealth generated as a result of the stock market the last two years that the high end part of the market will still remain competitive and challenging to find deals. also jmho

·
Registered
128 Posts
there's been so much wealth generated as a result of the stock market the last two years that the high end part of the market will still remain competitive and challenging to find deals. also jmho
Yup, took some profits and bought the 22 R8 on the spot for the wifey (even though I drive it the most LOL)...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts