Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm so in love with my R8 in the UK that as I'm migrating to Australia I'm considering taking it with me. I've tried to think about selling it in the UK and buying something else in Australia but there is simply nothing that excites me, and re-joining the AU Audi waiting list seems daft!

What (apart from the 20% tax) would be reasons for NOT taking it? Do you think that because it is an import I'd struggle to sell it or trade it in? Could I possibly even make money selling it here as I see they are considerably more expensive here with the poor GBP to AUD rates....

...any thoughts?

Ben.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How bizarre,I am currently in Oz and thinking of migrating here..and having seen the prices of cars...a used 997tt is $330,000 = £115,000 (you can now buy for £75k in the uk) a new m3 is the equivalent of £85000..I am wondering the same thing.
You have a few more considerations...shipping costs will be high and do they sell r8's over in Oz as I have not seen any listed anywhere? so will insurance be an issue ?
Is that the tax rate on luxury vehicles 20% ? and is that based on its new value or its current used value ?
Keep me informed of anything you find :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Ben,

In Aussie you will pay Aud $ 280.000 + on Road cost $7.900.00 for a new one (M) delivery time 6-8 mths some dealers are selling now new R8's M.. $ 300.000 on road. Insurance at $300.000 if you have been good through a broker around $ 1.980.00 per year.
I would sell it and by another....

·
Registered
718 Posts
You might want to check with the Oz Embassy in UK, but I think that if you emigrate and have owned the vehicle for 6 months or more you get a "one time" car import tax free.

If so, better to take your UK car over to Oz. It costs around GBP £2,000 to send a 20ft container.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's tax free then I should ship it and could even ship it back to sell it later - yes hassle but I'm in back in the UK now and again.

·
Registered
163 Posts
some prices in oz..an m6 =£150,000..a used ferrari 430...£230,000 (the same car is about £110k in the uk)....if he's right about the taxbreak Im buying 2 430's shipping them over and selling one ..the prices here are simply outrageous..a 996 turbo is $169,000...£85,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts