Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick note to say that i had my first drive in the R8 today from Guildford Audi. Should be noted than i am basing this on my current car which is a Gallardo.

First things first, had excellent service from Russell there, the best i have ever been treated by an Audi dealer so thumbs up to him :)

Impressions of the car:

Looks: very very nice, not as nice IMO as the Lambo, but looks very aggressive and understated.

Build Quality: Awesome, love all the bespoke switch gear, and it just feels so well put together, the demo car is pretty highly specced with full leather options and alcantara roof.

Noise: Dissapointing, way too quiet for a car of this nature, its a crying shame that V8 isnt much louder with a serious exhaust note, just take a listen to the new M3 as an example.

Acceleration: Good but not great, its crying out for the V10 IMO, dont get me wrong its not slow, but i found that the chassis was so capable it just feels held back.

Handling: This is what got me, the general ride is great but when you really start to throw it about the car absolutely comes into its own, magnetice ride on and the things just flys around corners with amazing grip and stability. I went down several country lanes that i know well and the composure was breathtaking, with awesome down shifting through that great manual box.

So just my quick thoughts, i was overall very impressed with the car and look forward to my V10 arriving in about 18 months, i couldn't go from the lambo just yet as the grunt isnt there yet to give that real surge of power.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was blown away by the cars handling at the Rockingham driving day. I think part of the problem , if you can call it that, is that the car is sooo well behaved at speed that it doesn't feel as quick as it is. You don't want to be having an underpants accident on your nice ne leather upholstery. Personally I thought it sounded great. Any louder and I think it could get wearing on a long run, and besides you can always open the window mate! October still feels a long way off...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Elliot,

My dealer is Mayfair Audi, the same dealership as Guildford. I drove the same car you have just driven, some 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately, this was when it was at West London Audi and the roads near there are full of cameras. Got some really surprised looks from some cops sniping at traffic with a laser gun (I saw them long before and was not speeding).

Yup, very quiet inside, but try opening the window just a tad, and the sound is music !!!!!

I have been in an F430 and found it too loud on longer journeys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How many of you chaps have been to Oulton or Rockingham for the driving experience? Two of us travelled down from Aberdeen! but thoroughly enjoyed the day. We are keen to go on further Audi driving courses as the tuition given was great. The sight of twenty R8's sitting in the pitlane waiting to get thrashed was awesome, but the car is just such a star. I came away blown away by the whole package. Looks, performance, comfort, noise.If any of you are a while off getting your car, and the chance comes up to go , I would urge you to go. It's also handy for seeing different trims leather , rooflinings etc. It really helps to finally spec your car. I am so jealous of you chaps that already have yours.never was good at the patience thing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Make no mistake the R8 is loud from the outside. BUT, from the inside (cabin) it is much quieter. I plan to solve this problem by removing the Silencing Vavle and maybe larger CATS. Problem solved!
Wait for the Milltek system then. Its true that the sound inside is not loud. But it's very noticeable.

At first I was thinking is was too quiet inside, but it's very comfortable for a longer trip en when pushing it hard the sound is really hard enough for me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I thought the same, that it is surprisingly lacking in engine noise from inside the cabin, but from outside it turns heads for sure! A friend of mine had a Ferrari F360 Modena and he had to put a crash hat on to stop getting a headache on long journeys it was so debilitating.

The car is so sure footed and capable that it does not feel that quick at times, but I do the same journey from home to work across country, last night was the first time in the R8 and I can tell you at the speed I was travelling it would have been a white knuckle ride in my 911 with max concentration, in the R8 it was an unruffled and really enjoyable experience and you felt you could push well beyond normal limits (well for me anyway). The chassis is clearly capable of handling a lot more power, but the V8 is enough for me just now! The road handling capabilities are amazing on corners that I would have held my breath on previously the R8 is on rails.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well out of all the comments it was the sound that caused most discussion :) how interesting! Maybe i should have wound down the window on my test drive!! Dont get me wrong it sounded nice, just compared to the lamborghini it was very very quiet, thats not all bad, im just used to hearing the exhaust open up at 3500 revs with an almighty roar :)

Still tempted to go V8 and then P/ex but cant help but think in 18months time the value will have taken a real whack.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They thought it was far more reserved than the lambo!

What does interest me though is that the ride height of the car is about the same as the gallardo, but with a longer wheelbase it was a real problem on my drive, it cleared the ridge with 2mm to spare, way to close for my liking!!

I dont understand why Audi do not offer a lifting kit as per the gallardo, which then negates any worries whatsoever in car parks speed bumps etc. Strange....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts