Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know most R8 owner's see themselves as excellent hi performance drivers,.. nevertheless I urge you all to take advantage of the great car that you have, and try your car out with a quality organization like the Audi Club ( there are several other quality independent clubs in your area), on a local track for a few laps under some professional driving instruction. Then go have the time of your life! I promise you will discover the true character of the R8, and you will never look at the R8 in the same way again.Spring time is here, and all hi performance track clubs are in full swing for the Spring season. Take your wonderful car and go have a very educational and wonderful adventure.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
The guy who drove that R8 at the track in Birmingham is good. VERY good.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Thanks! Last weekend I met a fellow R8 owner at Road Atlanta, and gave him a ride and recorded the whole session. We had a very long wait on the grid, feel free to fast forward past that. It starts getting really fun at 9:30.

http://www.vimeo.com/3700623

mt

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
What was that Porsche with the wing that lapped you around 11:30? Man, that thing was GONE!

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yeah - he was really fast. That was a race-prepped (stripped / roll cage) turbocharged GT2. Had a few hundred more horsepower than me. There were 2 instructor's cars faster than me, that one and a ferrari challenge race car.

I had a very interesting student at that event. He was about 80 years old, could barely walk, hobbled around using 2 canes, and had parkinson's disease so his hands had major tremors. He drove a Ferrari 550 Maranello, and was amazing - screaming down the back straight at road atlanta at 130 MPH, running a perfect line, with both hands shaking with the tremors the whole time. He was awe inspiring. And there was this other guy who was a paraplegic, driving a volvo station wagon with hand controls!

mt

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I have a similar story regarding (dis)abilities - my absolute favorite.

My wife was ferrying our airplane to a paint shop and arranged a ride back with a friend, Dan, who had a Mooney. Dan is a retired NW Airlines pilot and in a wheel chair most of the time due to MS. Don invited the airport manager, Dan, to fly along & keep him company. Don uses double canes to walk!

So, Mary arrives before Don & Dan and is waiting in the coffee shop with a full view of the ramp. My wife is a "chatty Cathy" and can know an entire room in 30 min. When the guys finally arrive, everybody's watching as Don get's out first with his double canes (A Mooney is a low-wing, retractable gear A/C with one door) followed by Dan who slides out, sits on the wing, assembles his walker, and lowers himself to the ramp. As you might imagine, ALL eyes in the coffee shop are upon them in amazement. And Mary spouts, "well, gotta' go, my ride is here"! She said it brought the house down in laughter. This is no BS - a true story.

I recently saw a clip on a gal with NO ARMS that got her sport pilot license - flies an old Aircoupe (no rudder pedals) with her feet. Where there's a will, there's a way.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Sure looks like fun! Awesome footage.:D

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
AND, if you're hesitant to try your car on a track because the dealer might not like it or might void the warrantee, just show them that Audi suggests you track your car, right there in the R8 Owner's Manual! Very few other cars or car companies do that.

Page 173 of the owner's manual:

That's pretty cool!

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts