Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The car is certainly the number 1 thing, but to me another big ticket item is the sheer experience of owning such a beast. I've got one being built now, and the experience is starting - with the arrival of the first of the freebies from Audi USA: the hardcover R8 book. Pictures below.

It's a seriously impressive package of a very large custom made box (with magnetic latch and 3D imprint) in a custom pouch. It came with a letter addressed to me and a special "tool" to lift the book out of the box. The book is full color and over an inch thick with the story of the evolution, design, and construction of the R8. It's' a great coffee table book.

I was surprised to read that an R8 is built in just 2 1/2 days. It's built at 14 stations where it's worked on for 45 minutes per station. The design considerations and difficulties they ran up against when building it are interesting.

While some people have had bad experiences with greedy dealers, I for one did not. I had to wait a year, but the dealer treated me very well and is charging MSRP. So my experience so far is good and getting better. This is from an NSX enthusiast who has given up on Honda ever producing a reasonable replacement for the NSX - I'm moving over to company who is on the way up, and has the passion to produce a serious enthusiast's sports car. So far, so good. Keep it up, Audi!

·
Registered
172 Posts
So you received this gift before the arrival of your R8? I need to get my dealer on the phone, I am getting my R8 in August but have not received even a letter from Audi USA.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Mine is scheduled for delivery in July. So it'll probably happen for you, as long as the dealer has actually added you to the factory's build list.

Mine should be one of the first '09s in the USA, I imagine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like a great book MT :cool:

Is it an Audi of America publication ? I certainly haven't seen any here in the UK and would love to get my hands on one.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a great book MT :cool:

Is it an Audi of America publication ? I certainly haven't seen any here in the UK and would love to get my hands on one.

It's doesn't have much publishing info in it at all, just a single page in back that says it was printed in germany in 2007. I assume it's from Audi Germany. The english in it is perfect American english (like "hood" instead of "bonnet"), so it seems to be translated for us here on this side of the pond.

Don't know why some get it and some don't. Searching the forum here shows some others have received it.

Didn't mean to make you guys feel neglected :eek:

mt

·
Registered
96 Posts
This should be a corporate gift to all R8 owners around the world. I got mine as soon as I put a deposit on it last year. The car will be delivered next Monday but the book certainly add to the pain of waiting. I know some other people from other countries getting the book as well so it should not be a US thingy.

·
Registered
148 Posts
About a month after the big book, I just got another package including a smaller book (24 Truths) as well as the very cool chrome/carbon fiber keychain. Seems like the gifts keep coming! The keychain is the same one they have on the Audi Accessories Site - selling for over $130.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Audi UK handed out what looks like same book, at end of first track days at Rockingham, which was before any R8s were delivered.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got the book after my car was delayed. as mentioned by resonate, we get nothing good in gifts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
First I received the book and now, about a month later, a similar large box containing an oddly designed desk calendar and a small chrome-plated solid aluminum model of an R8. I’m told the actual car is now on a ship to the USA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts