Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if anybody else knew this, but I was curious about what we’ve heard about the Huracan’s successor and ran into this:

As we know, it will be a hybrid V8 whose turbochargers interestingly don’t kick in until 7,000 RPMs. But then I was stunned to read this:

According to Motor Trend, the turbochargers won’t engage until 7,000 rpm. If engine revs remain below that, it operates like its naturally aspirated. However, once the engine reaches that 7,000 mark, they kick in until the 10,000 rpm redline.
I did a double take when I read that. A 10,000 RPM redline, if true, will be amazing! Sure the V10 is gone but this could be as exciting—or even more exciting—of a replacement.

· Registered
Brilliant Red V10 Manual
417 Posts
Sounds impressive but nothing will be better than a NA V10 sound.

· Administrator
6,493 Posts
I'm on the list for replacement and have heard the above and not sure how I feel about it. Normally I would not want a car where turbo's did not kick in till 7K, but maybe the electric motor will give you the added power before turbos kick in? If so could be interesting.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

· Registered
938 Posts
Great to hear its not 100% electric. Hopefully they make it sound beastly to keep up the emotional side of things.

· Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
745 Posts
Production platform with a 10,000 rpm threshold? Don’t hold your breath. A rich history of of supercar forecasting that disappear into the ether.

· Registered
5,834 Posts
Today, is there an in production, road legal car that revs to 10k RPM?
GM T50 revs to 11500 and the AM Valkriei to 11000.

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So could the next r8 be hybrid ??
I suspect that the R8 will return as a Gen3 with the same drivetrain (albeit detuned a bit) as the Huracan successor.

I think that the Audi executives are full of crap. A new drivetrain is money left on the table if they don't put it into a new gen R8. They will backtrack a bit and say "nevermind, we are introducing an all-electric supercar but decided to make this new hybrid R8 available out of popular demand"

· Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
745 Posts
GM T50 revs to 11500 and the AM Valkriei to 11000.
Right, and if, for instance, you believe that Valkyrie remotely resembles anything that can remotely be considered “production” with it’s Formula 1 engine, you’re kidding yourself.

· Registered
5,834 Posts
Right, and if, for instance, you believe that Valkyrie remotely resembles anything that can remotely be considered “production” with it’s Formula 1 engine, you’re kidding yourself.
Try reading @Tupper's question and you will see I have provided examples. If these don't fit with your views, then ignore it.

· Registered
271 Posts
I'm on the list for replacement and have heard the above and not sure how I feel about it. Normally I would not want a car where turbo's did not kick in till 7K, but maybe the electric motor will give you the added power before turbos kick in? If so could be interesting.
I think the idea is that the purpose of the turbo is more for emissions and not for kick you in the face type of power. You can make it more emissions compliant, while keeping an NA feel as far as the power delivery goes.

· Registered
751 Posts
yawn. Unless it's a v10 N/A that go to 10k rpm lol (even v8 high rev has been done by c8 z06)
too many v8 TT out there, why go fight market share with mclarens since 2012

Reactions: V10MANUAL

· Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ But even the C8 Z06 doesn't rev to 10k RPMs.

I don't care if it's a V8 or a V10, if it revs to 10k RPM and Lamborghini is behind it, you better believe it will be a special powertrain. I'm just saying, guys, this sounds like something that could be pretty unique and special. V10's can sound like crap too (think Dodge Viper). V8's can sound brilliant

1 - 20 of 33 Posts