Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I think the idea is that the purpose of the turbo is more for emissions and not for kick you in the face type of power. You can make it more emissions compliant, while keeping an NA feel as far as the power delivery goes.
Serious question. How would a turbo that kicks in at 7k rpm help emissions? I’m having a hard time figuring that one out.

· Premium Member
748 Posts
^ But even the C8 Z06 doesn't rev to 10k RPMs.

I don't care if it's a V8 or a V10, if it revs to 10k RPM and Lamborghini is behind it, you better believe it will be a special powertrain. I'm just saying, guys, this sounds like something that could be pretty unique and special. V10's can sound like crap too (think Dodge Viper). V8's can sound brilliant
Who’s making the engine? I’d guess if Audi isn’t, then it’s going to be Porsche. I seriously doubt Lambo would start manufacturing V8’s out of nowhere…let alone a hybrid twin turbo system. They haven’t made a V10 in 15 years.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Who’s making the engine? I’d guess if Audi isn’t, then it’s going to be Porsche. I seriously doubt Lambo would start manufacturing V8’s out of nowhere…let alone a hybrid twin turbo system. They haven’t made a V10 in 15 years.
I just hope it’s a bespoke engine, and not just something they pull out of the Cayenne or the Urus. But if it revs up to 10k and the turbos don’t kick in till 7k, then it must be bespoke. Even more awesome if it were a flat plane crank engine. I imagine it would have to be in order to rev that high.

· Registered
271 Posts
Serious question. How would a turbo that kicks in at 7k rpm help emissions? I’m having a hard time figuring that one out.
I'm not an expert. But if it weren't for emissions, why would they downsize from the V10? They want to continue making a special car, and this is probably how they decided they could make it work.

· Registered
1,302 Posts
^ But even the C8 Z06 doesn't rev to 10k RPMs.

I don't care if it's a V8 or a V10, if it revs to 10k RPM and Lamborghini is behind it, you better believe it will be a special powertrain. I'm just saying, guys, this sounds like something that could be pretty unique and special. V10's can sound like crap too (think Dodge Viper). V8's can sound brilliant
It's tough to get a rev range like that in a modern car. Requires an insanely short stroke and a very high idle rev. The commies in office invested far too much money into imaginary climate improvement business and EV to allow it.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
^ I usually agree with you, but I don't know, I wouldn't get too hung up on the turbocharging issue. Turbocharging sucks because it muffles exhaust sound and it creates an unnatural feeling power curve--I get that.

But Lamborghini, if I"m to gather from what I'm reading, is trying its best to mitigate that. You get up to 7k RPM before the turbos kick in (how will they do that?). Then when they do start spinning, you get a boost of torque added in, and you're revving to 10k. Even with turbos, a 10k revving engine will HAVE to sound awesome. The reason the post-boosted Ferrari engines don't sound as good is because the torque created by turbocharging precludes the need for higher revs, so they redline at 8k. All of the magic happens above 8k. Is that correct or is there another reason? Please let me know if I'm incorrect about that, because I always love learning more.

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
No matter how fast cars with forced induction are - they absolutely blow compared to NA motors.
I have a hard time with turbocharging, myself. As much power as they add, it ruins the scalpel-like feel of an NA engine... not to mention the sound.

Reactions: V10MANUAL and NYG

· Registered
1,302 Posts
^ I usually agree with you, but I don't know, I wouldn't get too hung up on the turbocharging issue. Turbocharging sucks because it muffles exhaust sound and it creates an unnatural feeling power curve--I get that.

But Lamborghini, if I"m to gather from what I'm reading, is trying its best to mitigate that. You get up to 7k RPM before the turbos kick in (how will they do that?). Then when they do start spinning, you get a boost of torque added in, and you're revving to 10k. Even with turbos, a 10k revving engine will HAVE to sound awesome. The reason the post-boosted Ferrari engines don't sound as good is because the torque created by turbocharging precludes the need for higher revs, so they redline at 8k. All of the magic happens above 8k. Is that correct or is there another reason? Please let me know if I'm incorrect about that, because I always love learning more.
The turbos will have to be controlled electronically, I think. Otherwise you'd have to use a large impeller that spools up under only high velocity inflow.

It all depends on what you want from the car. The higher you rev, the more you compromise torque delivery (this is where batteries help a lot). It all depends on the engine design/crank configuration/efficiency of power curve throughout the rev range.

Example: A C7 Z06 produces probably twice as much torque at 1500 rpm than our V10s do at their peak. There's advantages to that too, especially if you can put the power down.

You don't need a turbo to rev high, but you can utilize a turbo to feed more air into the engine and create a bigger boom so that the torque curve doesn't collapse.

I'm very confident Lamborghini will develop a brilliant engine but there's no way to completely eliminate the non-linearity of power delivery with turbos.

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I'm very confident Lamborghini will develop a brilliant engine but there's no way to completely eliminate the non-linearity of power delivery with turbos.
This is a big part of it for me. No matter how it's done - sequential turbos, single smaller turbo, etc. - it always seems to result in a compromised torque curve with lumpy power delivery. While I'm not a pro driver, and I'm not driving in competitive motorsports, there's still something disconcerting about an on-rush of power that's incongruent to the throttle input, simply because the engine is suddenly getting force-fed... and then at differing amounts within the turbo-engaged part of the power band. It's kind of like "dynamic steering" to me... don't suddenly change the steering ratio while I'm turning! :)

I suppose, like any other characteristic, these can be mastered, predicted, and work to one's benefit... but I just don't appreciate it..

That said, I'm a sucker for a high-revving engine, so if Lamborghini can really pull off a 10k redline, no less on a turbo car, that'll be something to experience.

Reactions: NYG

· Registered
1,302 Posts
This is a big part of it for me. No matter how it's done - sequential turbos, single smaller turbo, etc. - it always seems to result in a compromised torque curve with lumpy power delivery. While I'm not a pro driver, and I'm not driving in competitive motorsports, there's still something disconcerting about an on-rush of power that's incongruent to the throttle input, simply because the engine is suddenly getting force-fed... and then at differing amounts within the turbo-engaged part of the power band. It's kind of like "dynamic steering" to me... don't suddenly change the steering ratio while I'm turning! :)

I suppose, like any other characteristic, these can be mastered, predicted, and work to one's benefit... but I just don't appreciate it..

That said, I'm a sucker for a high-revving engine, so if Lamborghini can really pull off a 10k redline, no less on a turbo car, that'll be something to experience.
That instant engine feedback (especially with tc/stability off) is special. Pure connection with the car.

· Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Latest news is that the Huracan successor WILL have a V10?

New thread here:

· Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
740 Posts
Post #8:unsure::unsure::unsure:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts