Audi R8 Forums banner

1321 - 1339 of 1339 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well this post was started in 2009 and is still going...so I guess that says something about the design and changes of the car. But everything written in here is true. I had numerous Porsche’s before but they rarely get a second glance except by other Porsche people. Had a Lotus Evora S which is very exotic looking and way more rare than the R8 and it was rare that the car got noticed and if it did you could read the lips of the people staring at it “what is that?”

The R8 is a rock star. Everybody knows what an R8 is. Non-car people know what the R8 is.
It’s not ad audacious as it’s Lambo cousin but it still doesn’t fly under any radar.

But I must admit that I do feel strange driving it. I daily any sports car that I own, so it goes on mundane trips often, and this is the first car I feel weird driving to the grocery store in.

It does worry me a bit in this age where class warfare is front and center in politics and one side is stirring up the anger of the masses. I can totally imagine someone keying the car just out of jealousy or a screw you thought.

God has blessed my wife and I in numerous ways, and it was hard work and dedication that got us to this stage in life, sucks that I have to worry about stupid stuff like that.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Been driving an R8 for 8 years and have taken it to various places and even use it regularly for normal things like groceries and never had an issue with vandalism. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's a 2011 V10. I've purposely brought a Gen 1 model. It's a classic and never get old to look at
I agree 100%
I have a 2011 V10 Gen 1 model as well. I've purposely purchased a Gen 1. I'm a fan of the look of a Gen 2. Gen 1 model looks sleeker and sexier to look at.

·
Registered
303 Posts
gen 1 all day everyday but in a perfect world aside from my 2008 i would like another v8 but maybe a 2011, a 2014 v10 and lastly a gen 2...all in black. the 3 gen 1s i like must be gated manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Gen 1 2008 silver standard 19 rims sprayed black with red calipers. This is what I saw when I fell in love for the first time. I turned back to the dealers showroom to have a closer look.Parked on the pavement with her cat like eyes staring ahead and sleek figure gleaming in the sun I walked up to her. A short chat with the salesman and my butt slipped int the drivers seat. Heaven!.. Clean ,with full carbon bits and bobs,the excitement was indescribable. The salesman handed me the keys and I got to hear her voice for the first time......! The straight pipes pipes roared to life and the smile on my face grew. She was a roaring Lion! . We were married two days later! What a supercar. If she doesnt turn a head their necks must be sore.
P.S thanks R8 Talk for a wonderful forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It varies sometimes I take the gen 1 v10 Spyder out (its bright red) with hardly a stare. Other times comments and people take pics on their mobiles. I became immune to it all now and when someone puts a thumbs up I have to remember its the car I,m driving

·
Registered
75 Posts
At least half the fun of driving this car is enjoying seeing OTHER people enjoy the car! I also love interacting with them - all the questions at gas stations, at stoplights, and in parking lots. I've had people try to follow me home before (mostly in the Gallardo I used to have) - when that has happened I've just driven past the house and led them to the end of a cul de sac and turned around ... and then they knew that I knew, and they would take off without knowing where I lived.

Anyway, I do enjoy the VIP treatment you get when you pull up somewhere in that car - like when they let you park in a special spot at a hotel or restaurant, or they ask lots of questions or whatever.

I especially love the chances to let a kid sit in the driver's seat, or when some random dude wants to hear it start up and rev. Or sitting about 20 yards down the street from it (on a busy tourist street) and watching people check it out and sometimes even take a picture with it. Or when people follow me in to where I park it (even at work) and get out to look at it. Or when I see the in car in front of me, an arm stick out the passenger window with a cell phone pointed at me taking a vid.

It's only rarely unnerving. Generally, people are super respectful of the car when they're looking at it. Mostly, it's a big part of what I love about it, sharing the enjoyment with others, and in over 100K miles on 3 different fun cars before this one, it has never gotten old.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
Your post brings back fond memories from 11 years ago. I had three people follow me into my driveway. That was a little scary. I enjoyed your post. I still enjoy my car as much as the first day.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Your post brings back fond memories from 11 years ago. I had three people follow me into my driveway. That was a little scary. I enjoyed your post. I still enjoy my car as much as the first day.
One unsettling one was when I came out from the mall when it was closing, there was a group of 6 guys around my car in the nearly empty, pretty dark parking lot. And they didn't look like business men, if you get what I'm saying. But they pretty much took off when I got there, didn't say very much. I don't think they were really up to no good ... but the situation made me a little nervous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It takes a little while to get used to the stares and not feel self-conscious when driving, but I don't care anymore and don't mind the attention at all. I had a lot of attention with my AMG GTS too, which I only had 5 months before switching to my dream car R8.

I feel I'm doing a public service and making people happy whenever I drive it :D

It can get a bit annoying with the BMW M3 drivers trying to impress me with their shitty 2 litre engine revs tho! :LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I took my R8 gen 1 out two weeks ago I decided to drive through McD drive through, the guy taking the money said what a beautiful car, then when I got to the collection window there is a group of employees fighting to look out of the hatch at the R8.
When I leave McD I’m waiting for a clear bit in the traffic, a car comes along and turns in with no indication and holding me up, then he stops opens his window and put his thumb up, he’s was too busy looking at the R8 to indicate.
When I eventually got home, a lady I know was following me as she lives past my house, she stopped and came to look at the R8, she said I know nothing about cars and don’t care for them other than going from A to B but when I saw your beautiful car I had to stop and have a good look, she sat in it (refused a passenger ride) and spent 30 minutes asking questions and looking at every angle and part.
When I bring it out of the garage and have it in the drive, people stop and come and look at it.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
i agree with all of the post. Love the interactions with adult, kids, people enjoying the car. I did have one unusually funny interaction.
I was on my way home late at night and the only place open was a Walmart. I pulled in and parked and a police car stopped behind me. I got out of the car, he stayed din the car for a minute then got out. He walked over to me and then said, "That's the nicest car I've ver seen in a Walmart parking lot"

Enjoy your cars!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone on this forum knows the reactions an R8 elicits. Ive had my car about 2 months and have driven it a dozen times or so. When driving through a small town, all eyes on the sidewalk are transfixed my way with mouths agape and fingers pointing. In parking lots, the questions, the camera's, the wide eyed gazes. Kids in SUV's climbing over backseats to look at the car behind them, open windows with fists pumping out... the whole nine yeards. You really do feel like a rock and roll star. Given the rarity of the car, those reactions are unlikely to wane.

Perhaps this is a stupid question but... are these reactions beginning to, in some way, take away from the experience? The joy of driving the car is undeniable but I find myself not wanting to drive it to certain places and in certain situations because I find the reactions to be, at times, unnerving. Sometimes, its a bit uncomfortable. People have actually pulled into my office parking lot, parked their car and gotten out to circle the R8. Another guy stopped his car as he finished a left turn while I was at the light.... put his car in park, rolled down his window and started asking questions while others honked. Many of you have or had other exotics and have become accustomed to similar reactions but for me, its a somewhat new experience.

Any comments?
I feel you man. It's a great experience to have one and drive. The attention factor comes with the territory. I'm always open to talking with strangers on the road etc. Don't mind it. but at times it can be overbearing. People tailgating you behind, and every car on the road wants to race you!!! Sometimes even following you. Or they love to asked you how much it cost. One of the offensive thing to me is when I park the car, and when I come out of and if someone sees me, they will ask me. Is that your car? So I understand at times when you don't want to drive in certain areas or sometimes not wanting to drive it at all.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I definitely love seeing when kids get excited when they see it in the parking lot or when I’m on the road. It’s awesome getting to make their day, letting them take pics with it etc. However I will say I do get weird looks more often than not, sometimes people even look at me with some sort of disgust. Thank God, Ive Worked hard and been blessed to be able to afford it at my age, I’m 25. However, a lot of ppl give me weird looks like I shouldn’t be driving it or something. I hate to say it but I just tell myself they’re hating Or jealous because I’m 25 and was able to buy one of my dream cars I dreamed of owning when I was younger. Other than that, it’s great talking to people who admire the car, ask me questions how I was able to purchase one at my age and just over all appreciate it like we all do.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Took awhile for me to adjust to people taking pictures/videos, asking questions at the gas station, the thumbs up, kids with their mouths open looking out the back seats and school buses. These are, in the end, cool experiences.I do worry about potential vandalism, close call accidents by jerks in their fart can cars trying to ride my bumper, cutting in front of me, etc. I am always thinking about where I am driving it and the parking, the 'judgement" also. But in the end, I am driving one of my dream cars that I "earned" over the years of hard work and patience and I've come to grips with living with the good and bad of owning such a car. I can't wait to pull it out of storage in 3 weeks after the usual hibernation in an Upstate NY winter!

1321 - 1339 of 1339 Posts