Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R8 ordering hype is over and from what seems to be more and more evident is how Audi purposely initiated this hype about shortage to create a large demand for its cars.

After preparing myself to plunk down a $5K deposit and wait for an alleged 12 to 18 months for delivery, it was made clear to me by a member of another local but honest Audi dealer team that the R8 could be had in any trim level desired as a custom order in and about 90 days.

Having said that and having experienced first hand how disgusting this whole charade has become, I've decided to wait until the winds calm and the car starts to sell below MSRP. Knowing Audi's terrible resale value and high depreciation on their other vehicles incluidng the A8, I wouldn't be surprised if the R8 follows suit.

Don't get me wrong. I love the car and I dream about parking it in my garage one day but I don't believe in getting a rectal examination in the process.

Audi, shame on you for fooling the general public.:p

·
Registered
131 Posts
Paid MSRP for mine but it took about 6 months to get it. I suspect they're more available here as they seem to be pulling production from the US allocation because of their weak dollar.

What dealership told you that by the way?

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It seems to vary region by region, maybe canada or your specific dealer has spare allocation (or cancellation) they can tap in to.

There is certainly no shortage of used r8's out there to choose from, and the media hype is starting to die down a little with the nissan gtr taking up the mantle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cetaintly hope that the hype is dying down, so that I can get mine faster!! ;) Maybe with the new 2009 911s (385 hp, 7 speed DSG, 27.7mpg) some people will jump camp?

For those US folks still waiting in queue, what are your dealers telling you for wait times?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I think that BlueMax is living beside a very small pond,.. and deciding to declare that the size of the Atlantic Ocean is insignificant.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I cetaintly hope that the hype is dying down, so that I can get mine faster!! ;) Maybe with the new 2009 911s (385 hp, 7 speed DSG, 27.7mpg) some people will jump camp?

For those US folks still waiting in queue, what are your dealers telling you for wait times?
My dealer took a nominal deposit to "get on the list" in 10/07 and said, "there's a little more than a dozen names ahead of you, but it's hard to count precisely because some may not be entirely firm and may be off the list when we call them, and some may wait for a V10 or cabrio, if one has been announced by the time their number comes up; so I expect 18--24 months for you". I checked with him this April (six months later) and he said, "12--18 months."

So, at least the progress, if slow, is as predicted. He did not hold out much hope of a speed up, but did say that he was expecting to be at some kind of convocation of Audi dealers this month (June) where he expected to hear about future production and introduction plans for various models and that he might hear something different about the R8. But I think, "don't hold your breath," was the meta-message. My dealer, by the way, has always been the soul of integrity to me and my family members in all past dealings. I don't think he "B.S.'s" anyone.

My greatest hope is that Porsche doesn't take over and kill the R8 before I get a chance to buy one!

·
Registered
163 Posts
say what you want, but i ordered mine in jan 07 and its being built next month. if you can get one in 90 days, be my guest. i have no doubt reality will set in, but msrp will be a bargain. it's still a very low production vehicle with demand outpacing supply

·
Registered
604 Posts
If Audi "initiated this hype about shortage to create a large demand for its cars" then they have done quite a good job of it and they haven't stopped you wanting one.

A honest car dealer... that can get you a new custom R8 in 90 days - it is around 3 months from final spec to delivery in UK. May be that is what Honest Joe means.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The R8 ordering hype is over and from what seems to be more and more evident is how Audi purposely initiated this hype about shortage to create a large demand for its cars.

After preparing myself to plunk down a $5K deposit and wait for an alleged 12 to 18 months for delivery, it was made clear to me by a member of another local but honest Audi dealer team that the R8 could be had in any trim level desired as a custom order in and about 90 days.

Having said that and having experienced first hand how disgusting this whole charade has become, I've decided to wait until the winds calm and the car starts to sell below MSRP. Knowing Audi's terrible resale value and high depreciation on their other vehicles incluidng the A8, I wouldn't be surprised if the R8 follows suit.

Don't get me wrong. I love the car and I dream about parking it in my garage one day but I don't believe in getting a rectal examination in the process.

Audi, shame on you for fooling the general public.:p

If you say you can get one in 90 days, then why didn't you order it?

I say you are full of B.S.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was just at the Lamborghini dealership and we were talking about my R8, and he said that he heard the wait time is still well over a year and that if I wanted to sell mine, he could move it easily. I don't want to but, to say that you can get them in 90 days is nonsense.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I cannot speak for Canada but in the US, based on numerous personal contacts with all the major dealers in my region all of which get significant allocations due to their size, there is still at least a 12-18 month wait. In fact my 3 local dealers stopped taking deposits last year since they have lists of 20 or more buyers and do not anticipate having allocations to meet that demand in the next 24-36 months. I cannot see a dealer strategy of turning away willing buyers, unless they truly believe that by taking deposits they are creating unrealistic expectations.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Living in New England, I paid my deposit last December and took delivery at MSRP last Saturday, six months later. However, I think I jumped the line a bit by being assigned the slot of a friend of mine who had a deposit down longer but decided to postpone. I’ve also been a good customer of that dealer. I think that overall there are still long waits in the US.

Mine must be one of the last of the 08s. Great car, although a little underpowered relative to what is promised by its looks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Interesting update relative to the GTR hype. I made inquiries with 2 local Nissan dealers about 3 months ago and was told that they were creating a list of buyers. They required a non-refundable $10,000 deposit for a price of MSRP PLUS $40,000. I did not bother to reply to any of their calls or emails. In the past 2 weeks I have received no less then 5 calls and many more emails asking me if I were still interested. In the last voicemail I was told that they would be taking delivery of a car this month and that it was available. Clearly the GTR hype never materialized in the USA, probably due to the fact the we have never had a Skyline or previous iconic nissan on our shores. So, I guess the R8 hype is still very strong nearly 2 years after the first deliveries.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Interesting update relative to the GTR hype. I made inquiries with 2 local Nissan dealers about 3 months ago and was told that they were creating a list of buyers. They required a non-refundable $10,000 deposit for a price of MSRP PLUS $40,000. I did not bother to reply to any of their calls or emails. In the past 2 weeks I have received no less then 5 calls and many more emails asking me if I were still interested. In the last voicemail I was told that they would be taking delivery of a car this month and that it was available. Clearly the GTR hype never materialized in the USA, probably due to the fact the we have never had a Skyline or previous iconic nissan on our shores. So, I guess the R8 hype is still very strong nearly 2 years after the first deliveries.
Nearly two years? The first ones were delivered like a year ago. The first one in the US was delivered like 9 months ago.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've read this thread with much interest.

Personally I bought the car to drive, it is after all what the thing was designed and built for ;)

I've never really been one for following the herd and certainly don't believe any press / media spin.

Its a car, it will loose money, enjoy it while you can, as you're a long time dead and there's no action replay :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mainy, I agree depreciation is a fact of life for all cars. I have a friend who has his ferrari trailered to the dealership for service because he doesn't want to add the 80 miles to the odometer and, no, its not a classic. My R8 will be my primary car when I take delivery in August.

Wedouglas, you are correct it has not been 2 years closer to a year. My friend took delivery of the first one in this area in July 2007. I guess it just seems like longer. In any case the point I was making is that the first GTRs have yet to hit the showrooms in the USA and they are already cold calling people to get them to buy their first car. Not exactly the hype that everyone was taking about.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I am in Canada, and am in my 10'th month of waiting. I see no evidence that 6 months is reality. I suggest that you ask the dealer for the right to cancel your order with your deposit returned if its not in your hands in 6 months. Then watch the back tracking begin. Hype had nothing to do with me buying this car - I suspect that very few people lay out this kind of cash because they were hyped into it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think that BlueMax is living beside a very small pond,.. and deciding to declare that the size of the Atlantic Ocean is insignificant.
Ignorance is bliss for some but not for most...:cool:

If you say you can get one in 90 days, then why didn't you order it? I say you are full of B.S.
If you actually read my post, you would have understood why I didn't; which is why I started this thread in the first place.:p

i would pay a premium to get mine in 90 days...
Exactly what has caused all the stir to begin with and what the dealer is expecting. Let's face it, before the R8 came along, when did any normal person pay msrp or more for an.......Audi? ;)

I've read this thread with much interest. Personally I bought the car to drive, it is after all what the thing was designed and built for. I've never really been one for following the herd and certainly don't believe any press / media spin. Its a car, it will loose money, enjoy it while you can, as you're a long time dead and there's no action replay.
Mainy, wise words spoken and one of the few honest and true responses to my original post. If only all of us could think like you man, we'd live a long life!!:D

I have a friend who has his ferrari trailered to the dealership for service because he doesn't want to add the 80 miles to the odometer and, no, its not a classic.
I have a friend who owns a 360 Modena and is in denial to his friends about what a piece of garbage his car really is. The hunk of junk always has something wrong with it and he's started to develop a distinctive hate for the thing (as his wife secretly admits to our wives during the odd supper).
I always say to my friends that owning a Ferrari is like marrying the most beautiful woman in the world. Everyone wants to sleep with her but nobody really wants to marry her because of all the problems that come with her. Everone would love to drive a Ferrari but, owning one? Nah....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts