Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
it's BETTER than anything I've ever driven! Today, my dealer handed me the keys to their first Silver R8 with R-Tronic gearbox. I had this bad boy for just over 2 hours in the city and highway...and the experience has left me dumbfounded!

** Visual Presence **
This thing makes people flip out! I drove it through the city during the office worker lunch hour and it literally stopped traffic. It's actually funny watching people expressions. The expression is a little more intense when you drop it back from 2nd to 1st and hear the roar as the R-Tronic matches the revs! Awesome! :D

** Power Delivery **
I seriously think this car is electric powered. Such is the power delivery. It is soooo linear! No spikes or flat spots. Just smoooth, linear, progressive power delivery. It feel's silky smooth. The power IS adequate, although I would love another 200hp! :D Regardless, the power is plenty for most people and the R8 just delivers it with such finesse. Awesome! :D

** Gearbox **
Now I'm gonna tell it how it is from my perspective. If you've driven an Automated Clutch gearbox in the past like SMG, Cambiocorsa etc the R-Tronic is a major step in the right direction. I drove the thing in the city in Sport mode and it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. No jerks, no complaints, no lurching. It was flawless, I don't see what people are complaining about???

On the highway the upshifts are very direct BUT they are nowhere near as violent as the M3 or M5 SMG on S6 setting. Maybe, I needed to disable ESP? I'll try that next time. Downshift, Rev matching is litterally clockwork precise & sounds awesome. Better than any BMW SMG gearbox period.

Now, this Auto-Kickdown topic is weird. I can honestly tell you the gearbox (Manual Mode) does NOT kickdown with low-rpm, full throttle applications. I tried it at least 10 times and it stays in gear and does NOT kickdown.

To be honest, the R-Tronic rocks, it the best gearbox for this car IMO!!

** Handling **
This car handles like a cat on carpet! It is so flat, the chassis is soo stiff, I honestly can't fault it. And the crazy thing is, windows up and AC on, it feels like you driving a comfortable, luxury Audi!! It's insane.

** Exhaust Note **
The whining of the engine and the rumbling exhaust note are simply the best music I have ever heard this side of a Mucielago or Carrera GT. Sensational. Only problem is, it's TOO quiet for my liking. I'm definately installing an aftermarket exhaust ASAP!

At the end of the day, Audi have delivered a mix of Lambo Design, Race Car Sound, Incredible Handling and Limousine Comfort into an incredible looking package!! It's fu*king awesome! I can't wait for my delivery in 8 weeks!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
nice report!
so instead of a new exhaust, what would you think of just removing the exhaust baffles (to improve the low end sound)?

·
Registered
564 Posts
most of it i can agree and experienced myself.. but as mentioned in other threads... power delivery between 3-4k rpm is like a black hole.. nothing moves... like a turbo lag

and I like manual downshifts with manual rev matching better ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
We told you to be patient, and that it would be worth the wait...................

Power output is best from 4500 rpm and upwards. When you have fully run your car in, try having some fun at higher revs, you will be more amazed.

·
Registered
782 Posts
most of it i can agree and experienced myself.. but as mentioned in other threads... power delivery between 3-4k rpm is like a black hole.. nothing moves... like a turbo lag

and I like manual downshifts with manual rev matching better ;)
I have this also. When upshifting the engine falls back for 0.5 secs before picking up. :confused:

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, Wannabe. To be honest, it depends on what you are accustomed to. I personally would like the R8 to be more vocal. So, I will remove valves while I'm waiting for my Milltek (or other) exhaust to arrive!

R8Chris, I only really kept the car between 4-8000RPM when really pushing it. So I really didn't notice the hole you are talking about.

Also, the R-Tronic has a BIG brake pedal which is awesome for left foot braking!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Apart from a few dealers & techs
I think you would be the first Austalian to drive an R8
Great write up Congratulations
the 3 r8s in Sydney are presold & not available for a test drive.

·
Registered
439 Posts
power delivery between 3-4k rpm is like a black hole.. nothing moves... like a turbo lag

Automobile magazine did a dyno comparison between the R8 and the RS4. They reported this:

"We had to massage the final chart because the R8 exhibited a big drop in output between 2000 and 4000 rpm on the fourth gear runs, caused by a glitch in the European-specification, pre-production powertrain computer."

Could what you are experiencing be a symptom of this?

(Here's the link for the dyno report: http://www.automobilemag.com/features/0704_audi_r8_rs4_dyno_test/)

·
Registered
274 Posts
let us know how the no baffles compares to the milltek-
would be especially cool if you had the device that measures db (cant remember what its called right now)

Hey, Wannabe. To be honest, it depends on what you are accustomed to. I personally would like the R8 to be more vocal. So, I will remove valves while I'm waiting for my Milltek (or other) exhaust to arrive!

·
Registered
9 Posts
testing 2 R8 in Brussels Belgium next week 10/12/2008

one with manual the other with R tronic.(Because I can't decide)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts