Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NOT A SUPERCAR!

So, please will people stop being like sheep!

Just because you've seen an article that calls the R8 a supercar ... doesn't mean it is ... the fact remains that Audi themselves call the R8 a ... sportscar.

imho ... a modern day supercar needs a 0-62mph time of 4.0secs, or less ... it also needs to top out at 200mph, or more ... or be so close to that speed that it makes little difference ... plus, it needs the handling characteristics to enable the performance to be exploited ... the R8 will meet neither of the speed benchmarks ... although I'm sure it will handle more than adequately to exploit the performance it will have.

To be a supercar ... without meeting the above speed benchmarks ... although it should have good speed, both acceleration and top end ... a car needs to be outrageously styled ... or achingly beautiful ... to make it really stand out from the crowd ... while the R8 has good acceleration and top end speed ... and while it looks very good ... it isn't outrageously styled, or achingly beautiful ... so again it fails to enter the domain of the supercar ... imho

So ... please please please ... can people stop calling the R8 a supercar ... or compare it to cars like the Gallardo that are.

Thank you.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The R8 is supposed to be a SPORTS CAR NOT A SUPERCAR and to compete with the porsche C4S, Aston Martin VANTAGE .
Come on boys ,don,t always take what the press say as gospel
you know they will do anything to sell mags ,

even Audi's boss martin winkenhorn call the r8 a sports car when he unveiled the car in paris

its loosely based on the gallardo to cut development time and money

·
Registered
10 Posts
The R8 isn't a supercar, but the R10 will be. The R10 will compete with the 911 Turbo, and there isn't much faster than that right now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
But when is that supposed to come out? It's going to be the 450 HP version right? The 911 Turbo is 480 HP

I don't see why Audi would make a 480 or 500 HP R10 when they already basically have one -- the Gallardo. It would cut into Gallardo sales heavily.

After the presentation of the Q7 with the new V12 TDI, Hatz has revealed it's dreams: to reduce the noise of the TDI motor so noone could understand a difference in respect to a Benzine one and "to mount a diesel engine in one supercar like our new R8".
that just plain ridiculous.. no one is even going to want a car with a diesel v12 engine in it. He just wants to do it because "they can".

·
Registered
90 Posts
But when is that supposed to come out? It's going to be the 450 HP version right? The 911 Turbo is 480 HP

I don't see why Audi would make a 480 or 500 HP R10 when they already basically have one -- the Gallardo. It would cut into Gallardo sales heavily.

that just plain ridiculous.. no one is even going to want a car with a diesel v12 engine in it. He just wants to do it because "they can".
I'd love a v12 diesel in my ubercar. That would provide Uber torque. It would be Uber Cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a report that the Gallardo is getting more hp on Autoblog and according to the Car Magazine article more powerful versions of the R8 are coming. The V10 has to be 500hp because of cars like the M6. Anything less would be uncivilized.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is a report that the Gallardo is getting more hp on Autoblog and according to the Car Magazine article more powerful versions of the R8 are coming. The V10 has to be 500hp because of cars like the M6. Anything less would be uncivilized.
Don't know anything about the Gallardo's bhp increase ... but you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be more a powerful R8 ... even a couple of more powerful R8s ... an extra litre of capacity ... and or ... another 100bhp or so would seem quite likely ... I suspect the V10 will be around the 5 litre mark and over 500bhp ... if the V12 TDi does arrive ... well that will be an awesome car to drive ... the sound would be interesting ... although I'm sure Audi will do what they can to give it a nice sportscar sound from the exhausts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Audi UK have told last week me that the Gallardo will get a power increase in 2008. I think this is public knowledge in any event.

Also, there is a very high chance of an R8 V10 in late 2008.

But, they said no plans for a diesel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts