Audi R8 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I do wonder why that one has hung around so long. They actually upped the price after the blue one sold on BAT I believe.

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Manual Daytona Grey
154 Posts
There are 2 manual v10s on autoTRADER in Canada, one just upped the price to 150k cnd, based on the bat auctions, and current limited supply it looks like.

·
Registered
329 Posts
What's better for resale a low mileage R8 with multiple owners or a car with one owner but 80k miles?
Can't speak for anyone else, but I'd take multiple owners at under 30k miles over 80k one owner.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
I think I would agree. Multiple owners on a car like this don't bother me - people don't always keep exotics for long periods of time. I'd take 5 quality owners over reckless 1 owner car. And to that I'd probably take a lower mileage car over a higher milage car period.

·
Premium Member
4,746 Posts
What's better for resale a low mileage R8 with multiple owners or a car with one owner but 80k miles?
That's hard to compare as they're likely nowhere near the same "value," and price difference may be part of the buyer's personal consideration. For example, you could ask the same question but add in pricing information - would you take a 3-owner 1.5k mile 2015 R8 V8 6MT @ $110k or a 1-owner 80k mile 2009 R8 V8 R-Tronic @ $55k. While I'm making up those prices, it's feasible that one could literally be nearly half the price of the other, and therefore you'd probably be going after different buyers and budgets. The number of owners will likely be a distant second consideration.

Mileage, age, number of owners, etc. - these are all simply levers that can be pushed or pulled to impact value. Mileage is typically more significant than number of owners. However, as mileage gets closer (let's say a 20k mile car vs. a 25k mile car), buyers may start to consider the impact of a secondary factor (like number of owners) with some more weight.

Typically, cars with fewer owners would give the car a slight bump or edge - maybe that bump overcomes a small difference in mileage, but it clearly wouldn't overcome a gap of tens of thousands of miles.

Where "1 owner" starts to become much more impactful would be as the car ages substantially - 20, 30, or more years old. Why? Because now you're into the territory where "1 owner" is very rare, records tend to be incomplete on multi-owner cars, and you're into an age where you're replacing and restoring components simply due to age and not mileage alone. Likewise, if you find a "1 owner" car that's of that age, it also typically says something about the owner - they've held onto that car for a long time, likely out of love for it... so, while not impossible for it to have been abused, it's probably a lot less likely to be the case.

As an original owner, myself, that's certainly my case. I laid out $191k (with tax) for my R8 when new... and in the first year spent another $15k on full paint correction, full PPF and luggage for it. Over the years, its had no expense spared, kept 100% stock, every record kept, never driven in snow or salted roads, always stored in the garage... and that's the way it'll continue while it's in my possession... which I hope is a long, long time. So the question then becomes... would I take a car like mine, knowing how it's been cared for, even if it had 10% more miles than an alternative with multiple owners, missing records, potentially driven in salt, modified... or 20% more miles... 25%? Everyone will have their thresholds, and it's probably wise to consider them more carefully if the car is a "keeper" versus maybe a transient toy.

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
79 Posts
There are 2 manual v10s on autoTRADER in Canada, one just upped the price to 150k cnd, based on the bat auctions, and current limited supply it looks like.
Prices for early Gen 2s have come up in Canada too. Bases asking same money as 2017 pluses from the fall. Depreciation period may already be complete for pre facelift Gen 2s.

·
Registered
2017 R8 V10+ Tango Red
79 Posts
Your car would surely put others to shame when it comes to condition and provenance. Only question mark would be the colour. I am pretty sure I got a great deal on mine because it was red. I think R8 buyers are introverts and prefer shades of grey, and thus all else being equal, monochrome colours will command the best pricing.

That's hard to compare as they're likely nowhere near the same "value," and price difference may be part of the buyer's personal consideration. For example, you could ask the same question but add in pricing information - would you take a 3-owner 1.5k mile 2015 R8 V8 6MT @ $110k or a 1-owner 80k mile 2009 R8 V8 R-Tronic @ $55k. While I'm making up those prices, it's feasible that one could literally be nearly half the price of the other, and therefore you'd probably be going after different buyers and budgets. The number of owners will likely be a distant second consideration.

Mileage, age, number of owners, etc. - these are all simply levers that can be pushed or pulled to impact value. Mileage is typically more significant than number of owners. However, as mileage gets closer (let's say a 20k mile car vs. a 25k mile car), buyers may start to consider the impact of a secondary factor (like number of owners) with some more weight.

Typically, cars with fewer owners would give the car a slight bump or edge - maybe that bump overcomes a small difference in mileage, but it clearly wouldn't overcome a gap of tens of thousands of miles.

Where "1 owner" starts to become much more impactful would be as the car ages substantially - 20, 30, or more years old. Why? Because now you're into the territory where "1 owner" is very rare, records tend to be incomplete on multi-owner cars, and you're into an age where you're replacing and restoring components simply due to age and not mileage alone. Likewise, if you find a "1 owner" car that's of that age, it also typically says something about the owner - they've held onto that car for a long time, likely out of love for it... so, while not impossible for it to have been abused, it's probably a lot less likely to be the case.

As an original owner, myself, that's certainly my case. I laid out $191k (with tax) for my R8 when new... and in the first year spent another $15k on full paint correction, full PPF and luggage for it. Over the years, its had no expense spared, kept 100% stock, every record kept, never driven in snow or salted roads, always stored in the garage... and that's the way it'll continue while it's in my possession... which I hope is a long, long time. So the question then becomes... would I take a car like mine, knowing how it's been cared for, even if it had 10% more miles than an alternative with multiple owners, missing records, potentially driven in salt, modified... or 20% more miles... 25%? Everyone will have their thresholds, and it's probably wise to consider them more carefully if the car is a "keeper" versus maybe a transient toy.

·
Registered
96 Posts

Well stated!

·
Registered
329 Posts

I think his point was IF all else was equal. Same Car, Same Mileage, Same Year, Same Options... all else the same. I also agree with everything you said. I just sold a mint F450 dually truck for $20k over normal pricing on Car Guru's. EVEN with the high price icon on it.. because I knew it was the cleanest available in the US for it's year and the lowest mileage for it's year. The guy who bought it said he's been traveling all over the country looking at piles of crap so when he saw mine, there wasn't even any haggling.

Reactions: Stick_Shift_Nick

·
Registered
Still searching..
32 Posts
Yup been following that one. Initial ask was 124K just last week, but as other ads showed up, he adjusted. There's another one in AB asking 135K currently. I def missed my chance last summer. Might have to get into something else in the interim until this settles a bit (if ever.) Keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with yours ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
You think so? I am trying to decide what to do with my 2012 white V10 manual. It is a special model ESE 2012 pre face lift, where they emptied the parts bin on it, with GT tail lights, tires, etc. 10k miles, carbon fiber steering wheel, etc.
Whoa! Can you share photos of this beauty???? (not in the market for one, but appreciate a fine example!)

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
Whoa! Can you share photos of this beauty???? (not in the market for one, but appreciate a fine example!)
Here is original. I have done some mods like exhaust and some exterior mods. I did order a 2nd lid for the back to switch out if I want the wing on. The original non-modified back lid can be switched back in like 15 minutes.

Here she is now:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
2,849 Posts
I don’t even think there is any question here (at least to me, this is very simple).
I would 100% take the lower mileage car. I never understood the obsession with multiple owners, I think it’s different when it comes to regular everyday cars as people tend to keep them longer so when you see multiple owners it could be a sign that the car has issues. On exotic/sports car people especially enthusiasts tend to flip their cars every year or two. So it’s not unusual for a 3-5 year old car to have more than 2-3 owners in that time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This is a very interesting thread regarding these cars, I am wondering what everyone thinks would be the ultimate Unicorn R8? Would it be a low mile V10 manual preface lift or a low mile post face lift V10 manual or a 2014/2015 V10 Plus manual? I'd like to know where my car fits in the realm of collector R8's

·
Registered
382 Posts
This is a very interesting thread regarding these cars, I am wondering what everyone thinks would be the ultimate Unicorn R8? Would it be a low mile V10 manual preface lift or a low mile post face lift V10 manual or a 2014/2015 V10 Plus manual? I'd like to know where my car fits in the realm of collector R8's
The ultimate unicorn was a facelifted carbon edition spider with a gated V10...only one was made. Facelifted V10 plus with a manual would be next in line in rarity.

·
Registered
2011 Audi R8 V10 Spyder Manual Daytona Grey
154 Posts
Yup been following that one. Initial ask was 124K just last week, but as other ads showed up, he adjusted. There's another one in AB asking 135K currently. I def missed my chance last summer. Might have to get into something else in the interim until this settles a bit (if ever.) Keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with yours ;)
It's interesting because the one for 150k in ibis white over red leather and my future car were sitting side by side at pfaff and since they had 2, both v10 manuals and I thought I wanted white so I drove in and I test drove the white one with the gmg exhaust and it was great, but the Daytona grey over brown leather spoke to me. He's actually put a fair amount of mileage on his over that last few years, and a few more mods.

I first lost my car cause they wouldn't negotiate much, but a month later I had my financing fully secured so I went back in to negotiate hard and an offer was already on the car, I went home rejected and realized if I couldn't have that r8, I didn't want a supercar at all. Luckily a few weeks later the offer fell through on trade in value and I had my second change and made sure it happened. Probably paid 5k more than market value in 2017 but it doesn't matter now. Did exhaust, lion battery and VF tune and its the perfect car.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts