Audi R8 Forums banner

The R8 Market Discussion Thread

19K views 133 replies 46 participants last post by  usmma96 
#1 ·
Since there have been some interesting sales recently, I thought it might be good to do one unified thread to discuss the market on our beloved cars.

Feel free to post new listings, discuss active auctions etc! This way there is one place for people to see the changes in the market over the years.

...and since I recently bought mine, I'll start with the first comment - These cars are undervalued. :p

#5 ·
Purchase date: 01/2018
Model: 2010 gated V10, Phantom Black all the carbon options inside and out and a Red trimmed Interior
Price: $115k Cdn
Miles: 29000 Kilometers
Mods: GMG exhaust
Issues when purchased: Mint, with one leaking mag ride strut

#7 ·
Purchase Date: 11/30/2020
Price: $86k
Miles: 4,137
Mods: Ceramic Pro Lifetime Paint Protection and XPEL Paint protection film (clear vinyl).
Issues when purchased: None

#9 ·
I think the thread is for the purpose of keeping an eye on current value... so you can still post your new purchase here and it will still be helpful.

#13 ·
Purchase date: 01/2021
Model: 2017 V10 Coupe, Dynamite Red 7-speed S-Tronic automatic with sport shift transmission and AWD, ceramic brakes, Rotor Gray leather interior with diamond stitching, 20" Wheel package 10-spoke-Y design, Carbon fiber sigma sideblades and CF engine compartment , PPF, 2 private owners.
Price: $131,000
Miles: 7,500
Mods: None

#16 ·
I think people are missing the point a bit - it's to talk about the current market for our cars.

Like this one - 2014 Audi R8 V10 | eBay
Sometimes threads take on a life of their own.... I think people want to see year, purchase price and feature comparisons, etc.... :) You might have to start a new thread where it's ultra clear what you want. I went back and read from the beginning and the second post in this thread was very clear and so people quickly absorbed it and went with it. Plus CarGurus is pretty comprehensive as far as what's on the market.

#19 ·
It's more so we can discuss what we see happening in the market - like this thread over for 355s - F355 Market
Simply put, the Gen-1 R8 is going to head up in value - something I've been saying for years on this forum. I think we're starting to see some of that occurring now, and the manuals will lead the way - but it won't be limited to the manuals.

The R8 was a critically important car for Audi - their first production supercar. It just so happens that it's also a winning formula that people desire: (a) beautiful and timeless design, (b) high-revving naturally aspirated large engines (V8 and V10), (c) manual gearbox option, (d) analog experience including hydraulic steering, e-brake, etc. Now, add in the racing lineage - the R8 carries the namesake of the Le Mans car that made history, dominating year after year, including taking all three top spots during its debut. The GT car went on to have similar successes, giving the R8 a truly desirable motorsport heritage that even most supercars don't have.

Jay Leno has said before that one of his measures for a car's future collectability comes from looking at how it was received when launched. Now, this isn't always a perfect indicator as some undesirable cars go on to be desirable down the road, but it's rarely the other way around. The R8? The entire first year of production sold out in a week. Pretty darn desirable. Add the pop culture (e.g., Iron Man, toys, video games, posters, etc.) and it only amplified the appeal of the R8 beyond the car enthusiast to main street.

The Gen-1 NSX, which has a small fraction of the aforementioned going for it, and also included a much larger sales volume here in the US (~9K NSX vs. ~6.5k R8) has seen prices rise to above original MSRP in recent years for quality examples.

The R8 is an icon... for all of the reasons mentioned here and so many more. Being a VW / Audi product, it also means there's no shortage of fans in the ecosystem who have grown up drooling over it and had it on their bucket list. The car's own credentials, and the built-in demand of generations now coming into some disposable cash, can certainly put some upward pressure on prices. And needless to say... if all of this wasn't enough, and you're simply a car enthusiast looking for a great looking supercar, good reliability, a large cylinder-count, high-revving engine mounted in the middle... you're just not getting that in any new car, so cars like the R8 will be your go-to option.

For me, it's all a bit inconsequential. I bought my R8 new - spec'd it exactly as I wanted it, and my intention is to keep it indefinitely. I wouldn't sell it for $250k or even $300k. It just simply couldn't replace the joy of the R8 for me. Nonetheless, I do hope they rise in value as it's a car that deserves the recognition for what it is - a fantastic modern classic.

#24 ·
Purchase date: 12/2020
Model: 2012 gated v10, all the carbon options, white gauge faces, red trimmed interior
Price: $93k
Miles: 29,xxx
Mods: FabSpeed valved exhaust, APR tune, front grill, CarPlay compatible radio, carbon fiber spoiler, Xpel clear film covered front end
Issues when purchased: 3 leaking mag ride struts

#29 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.