Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's also sporty designs with elegance.

For a while, Ferrari was losing its way - and arguably, without Pinanfarina, it's still not on its "A" game (I heard you, @Dimitri, in my 296 thread and agree!). But I'll give them this - they recognized that hard, aggressive lines had gone a bit too far, and they needed to bring back the spirit of sporty designs with elegance. Arguably, Audi lost a bit of this, too - not just going from Gen-1 to Gen-2 R8, but across the line-up. Cars like the Q7 became like a box on wheels. They've since started heading a bit back to center with cars like the e-tron GT.

But, disturbingly, nothing is as bad as the video below. Nothing.

As someone who's driven BMWs for over 20 years straight now as my daily driver, the time has come to say, "no more." I can't respect a company that produces this. This isn't the same company that brought us the "all star" line-up of e46, e39, and e38 back in the late 90's to early 00's. I would gladly still drive any of those, even over 20 years old. But the complete and utter garbage now coming out of BMW's design team now tells me the company is doomed. You might forgive one bad design, but add this to the ugliness that's the M4, the iX, i4... now the XM.

I respect Frank - a world of design experience (including the original X5)... I've never seen him so outraged in a review. But I think BMW earned it.

MB, meanwhile, I think is killing it with their recent designs - sporty yet elegant (what BMW used to deliver), and Audi's line-up isn't bad either. Compare the Audi GT to BMW's i4... who in their right mind is taking the i4?

RIP BMW.

·
Premium Member
2020 R8 V10 Performance Spyder
3,300 Posts
Agreed! Their EV/ hybrid are really bad. The new M3/4 has grown on me since it was first shown. Still weird and far from pretty but I don’t wanna throw up on it either. But their electric cars are just terrible. The only nice BMW right now is the X5/X7 in my opinion.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I know the designers make it complex with lines and angles etc - but with something as subjective as design, if 8/10 people are saying something is ugly, you know the designers have really messed up!

I can’t see myself ever buying another BMW unless the design changes drastically. Pulling up next to an alfa romeo guilia quadrifoglio with a current M3 would be down right embarassing!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't know who approved of the new kidney grills. They are ugly. At first I wondered if I was like one of those people who complained about the Bangle Butt when designer Chris Bangle made the rear end change, but it seems that everyone agree that the huge kidneys are ugly. They have lost their way. They need a new design team.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Ez, it’s not just the looks that has gone down with bmw. I really used to agree that they were the ultimate driving machine. Now they feel a bit stiffer than mb and Audi just for the sake of being stiff. Ride is worse, quality is worse and they lost it years ago. Of course this is all subjective but I lost my love for them years ago. I did once crash a 335 into a phone pole at about 80 mph and launch off a bridge and lived to tell about it, but that’s as far as my love for them goes. Genesis is much better in all respects other than coolness. MB and Audi are a league above.

·
Registered
767 Posts
No offense but his comments reminds me what was said about Chris Bangle designs. Despite all that criticism, Bangle did not do too bad for BMW. Who knows? Maybe people will like this one as well.

Audi lost a bit of this, too - not just going from Gen-1 to Gen-2 R8,
I am shocked! Shocked, I say!!! You Sir, take it back. 🙂

Edit: Added 🙂 to say “this is a joke”

·
Registered
1,909 Posts

For a while, Ferrari was losing its way - and arguably, without Pinanfarina, it's still not on its "A" game (I heard you, @Dimitri, in my 296 thread and agree!). But I'll give them this - they recognized that hard, aggressive lines had gone a bit too far, and they needed to bring back the spirit of sporty designs with elegance. Arguably, Audi lost a bit of this, too - not just going from Gen-1 to Gen-2 R8, but across the line-up. Cars like the Q7 became like a box on wheels. They've since started heading a bit back to center with cars like the e-tron GT.

As someone who's driven BMWs for over 20 years straight now as my daily driver, the time has come to say, "no more." I can't respect a company that produces this. This isn't the same company that brought us the "all star" line-up of e46, e39, and e38 back in the late 90's to early 00's. I would gladly still drive any of those, even over 20 years old. But the complete and utter garbage now coming out of BMW's design team now tells me the company is doomed. You might forgive one bad design, but add this to the ugliness that's the M4, the iX, i4... now the XM.

I respect Frank - a world of design experience (including the original X5)... I've never seen him so outraged in a review. But I think BMW earned it.

MB, meanwhile, I think is killing it with their recent designs - sporty yet elegant (what BMW used to deliver), and Audi's line-up isn't bad either. Compare the Audi GT to BMW's i4... who in their right mind is taking the i4?

RIP BMW.

Ez bmw has gone down the tubes.......
And i owned 3 bmw
2006 bmw m5
2008 bmw m5
2008 bmw 650 convertible

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I don't know who approved of the new kidney grills. They are ugly. At first I wondered if I was like one of those people who complained about the Bangle Butt when designer Chris Bangle made the rear end change, but it seems that everyone agree that the huge kidneys are ugly. They have lost their way. They need a new design team.
Chris Bangles design i feel were really easy on the eyes.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Completely agree with EZ,
Having owned a 2002, 3.0 CSi and a Z8 it is hard to believe that BMW has really lost their way. My daughter’s 6 cylinder 2011 X3 and my wife’s 2018 X5 seem to be fine cars with acceptable looks.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I did once crash a 335 into a phone pole at about 80 mph and launch off a bridge and lived to tell about it, but that’s as far as my love for them goes.
WTF... Glad you lived to tell the story.

The new BM grilles are hard to describe. I agree, GENESIS are cool looking just missing the cool factor but I'm seriously thinking of one. Audi are looking so cool, I now own 3 Audis and only 2 Porsches.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Now it's an even squintier version of Hitler's mustache ... yikes !! Got milk ?

Reactions: desperado

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
325 Posts
No offense but his comments reminds me what was said about Chris Bangle designs. Despite all that criticism, Bangle did not do too bad for BMW. Who knows? Maybe people will like this one as well.

I am shocked! Shocked, I say!!! You Sir, take it back.
(y)(y) Latest G2 cars are best of the series, sharpened up the design and interiors are vastly improved, finally supercar worthy.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I've got a 17 year old E90 and it looks better than that.

Reactions: Dimitri

·
Registered
2020 performance coupe Mythos black
325 Posts
A question. I started looking around which prompts the question, since the vid is a couple months old, is this toad the actual production version or still a concept platform? There seems to be a few photos of better looking, less angular X5’s with the still ugly nostrils but it made me curious.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A question. I started looking around which prompts the question, since the vid is a couple months old, is this toad the actual production version or still a concept platform? There seems to be a few photos of better looking, less angular X5’s with the still ugly nostrils but it made me curious.
If you navigate to BMW's website, it looks like they show the same ugly beast as Frank shows in the video. That said, they still call it a "concept."

·
Premium Member
2022 RWD R8 Spyder Mythos Palomino seats, Sport Exhaust. Due in 6-22. 2020 BMW M8 Comp Convertible
11 Posts

RIP BMW.

I agree on the BMW comments. I have a 2020 M8 Competition convertible and absolutely love it. Amazingly fast and great looking. A bit heavy of course, but what an engine. Then after I bought it, BMW stopped importing it maybe due to both price and COVID. Then they arbitrarily dropped the MSRP by $10,000 devaluing my car in the process.

All that was understandable to a degree, but then they have seemingly abandoned improving the M8 with some drivetrain upgrades or other refresh possibilities so I ordered my 2022 R8 Spyder which should come in about the same time my M8 lease is up. Worse than that, my dealership is very weak on service. At best it's casual indifference shown in regular patterns of service and attitude. The technicians are fine, it's all the support mechanisms that just don't care.

On a small side issue, I wish the Hot-V turbos didn't muffle the M8 engine so much and really look forward to the NA V10 engine sounds. I have a barely street legal 2000 Camaro SS bought new that has a new 427 in it with race headers and all the supporting hardware that sounds incredible. The M8 is blindingly fast, but really pretty quiet using all the Sport+ modes. MB hot 8s sound great, why don't BMW's?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts