Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new user here from the UK. Looking to purchase a new super car ready for summer but not sure on what to purchase. I’m edging towards the R8, purely because of the user experience is so friendly aswell as being extremely fun.
Haven’t drove any of the cars I’m interested in but spent many hours on YouTube watching them POV.

2021 Audi R8 carbon package
911 GT3 rs
AMG GT PRO

these are the three cars that are itching my fancy. Could you please share some insights on why the R8 would be better? Also should I buy the R8 brand new, or one with a few thousand miles on the clock since they seem to depreciate rapidly?

thanks

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I only ordered new because I intended to keep for a long time and I wanted to order in a special colour and to my exact specification. As you say, you pay handsomely for buying new in depreciation but in my case no regrets. If you intend to sell it on again within a few years, have some flexibility on the spec then you will save maybe £10-20k+ by buying almost new / used. Given the restrictions of lock down you might find some dealer demonstrators with very low miles, although there are less demo cars registered these days compared to when the gen2 was launched.

Never driven an AMG but I will probably never own another Mercedes (currently have a C class family estate) due to the poor dealer support here in Northern Ireland and zero competition.

I have not driven an RS, only the standard GT3 - I imagine the RS would be a very raw driving experience and brilliant for maybe an hour or two, and on track, but could become very tiresome for longer trips especially for the passenger. Whilst the R8 is fast and loud when you want it to be, comfort mode is surprisingly civilised and the ride comfort acceptable. I have to admit though I have thought about a GT3 / RS over the last few years - it's one of the few cars that could tempt me away from the V10 but each time I drive the R8 I would really struggle to hand the keys over and I don't have the budget for both! I find the current line up of turbo-charged 3.0L 911 very bland.

I'd be cautious with a 991.1 GT3RS purchase, there are some around with questionable history if I believe what I read on Pistonheads. It might be worth using one of the detailed history checking services, not the usual cheap/free ones - there's a word for it but I can't remember what it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed reply. After reading the experiences and other threads within this forum for the last couple of hours it’s made me have FOMO. Think I’m going to go ahead and order a new R8 carbon black. I’m fast at making decisions aha.

might wait 30 days or so though, apparently this is when better discounts could become available reading from a previous thread?

Being able to jump in a super car that looks awesome and comfortable with the option as a possible daily is all i need. Want some fun this summer after lockdown finally ends, treating yourself and enjoying life is what it’s all about so let’s do it!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
If you want the car for summer and intend to place a new factory order, I'd call a couple of dealers and ask them what the current delivery times are or of they have an unsold order in the system before spec lock which you can amend to your specification. The dealers call this "spec-amend" and will save you a few weeks.

I cant think why the prices would improve next month. I've seen decent discounts £15-20k on new stock cars on Autotrader like the one at Blackburn Audi. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I agree with everything Steve said. I ordered new, as well, for the same reasons as Steve - my intent is to keep it indefinitely. However, if you're going to swap out in a few years, you'll have the worst depreciation this way. Likewise, ordering now means you're potentially losing out on a few months of driving.

The reason to get the R8 will come down to the mid-mounted NA V10. The other options are fantastic cars, but if you're looking to experience a pure high-revving high capacity engine, the R8 is the choice. The GT3 RS is a weapon, but it's probably not my choice if you're doing mainly street driving - plus, given the number of 911's out there, it doesn't do much for me emotionally. I like the AMG GT, but it's also not a stand-out for me. I'd much sooner get the previous SLS. If you're considering a Gen-2 R8, I'd also consider a Huracan, its sister car. I'm a huge fan of the Gen-1 R8 (hence I own it) and preferred it to the Gallardo, but I prefer the Huracan to the Gen-2 R8 in the styling department.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree with the above.
I bought mine used (2.5years old, 10k miles, saved 39% of new purchase price) and for me it comes down to the engine, there is nothing quite like opening the taps on a high revving na engine (i have a bunch of mbikes and na is absolutely the way to go). Saying that it is just as comfortable sitting in auto and going to the shops, my wife finds it more comfy than a standard Audi S3 for example.

I live in France and whilst R8s are expensive compared to the UK, they are no where near as expensive as Lambos/GT3s so for me an R8 ticked a heap of boxes.

Pre covid mine was to be used everyday in all weathers so the quattro was important but also the real world of sitting in traffic, sitting on the motorway and cruising was considered. For a car that can be used any day of the year with the ability to cover ground exceptionally quickly whilst sounding glorious (and not costing more because of its badge) it would still be my choice from your list but buying spangly new comes at a price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Appreciate the replies and experiences. It’s helped me confirm my choice.
Contacting a few dealers once lockdown eases on the April 12th. As Steve mentioned, some of these new 2021 R8s are being sold for £140k new which will probably be the route I choose. Saves the waiting time and puts me in between losing a possible 20k rather than a hefty 40k if I configured one to my spec at 160k+

·
Registered
2017 R8 Plus Coupe 2014 SQ5
324 Posts
All three cars are nice but employ different methods for performance. The rear engine GT3RS is a track rat. Takes more effort and skill to drive very fast on the track. R8 is really the only one on the list that could be considered a super car. Not as track fast but much easier to drive.
The AMG pro achieves turbos to achieve its performance. To drive fast you really need to keep the revs up. The overall design and front engine leave me a bit cool to the car.

Overall the GT3RS will probably retain the best resale value.

·
Registered
2018 Audi R8 V10 Plus Spyder
11 Posts
I usually go for almost new used cars. Saved me a ton of money and right next door in Germany there are so many used choices, I can usually find the exact combo I want and I can never wait that long for my new car to arrive. Once with a Ferrari I specced out new, drove me crazy waiting, then the boat broke down and got stuck in the port or something and I had to wait longer. Argh!!!

By the way my experience with driving the AMG GT (non pro) was that it was more like a hot rod without finesse like an Aston Martin (also uses Mercedes engine). Too heavy and not balanced, more of something akin to a muscle car. I hated it, but still like the looks. I have owned a few 911 C4S and they had precision and balance. Great to drive, but so super boring. Surgical for a race, but I want the noise and the drama that the Italians bring to the fight. A Huracan or 458/488 would be too flashy for my area and not that great for long or daily drives, so I went with an Audi V10 Plus Spyder. It sounds like a brute muscle car in an Italian way, but it is super balanced and has the finesse of a Ferrari or Porsche. I pick my mail order bride next week and get to know her intimately on the autobahn for 5 hours of wedding day bliss. 😁😁😁 She will be aching the next day. 😈😈😈

1 - 9 of 9 Posts