Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at my Audi dealer today and the guy said that they are accepting orders for the Audi R8. I asked him what the cost would likely be. He said $130,000. I started laughing.

The R8 uses the same engine as the RS4 does. So basically any sucker who buys this is driving around in a $130,000 RS4 with a different body style.

Funny ****. For the same price (or even slightly less) you can get a brand new 911 Turbo with almost 500 HP with the same technological quality. and you don't have to wait 17 years to get it.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
It wouldn't do for everyone to like the same thing - the 911 turbo didn't float my boat at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
414 hp car for $130,000??

2007 Porsche GT3 with 415 HP = 107,000 USD

THAT is the true worth of this Audi. Around $107k

I've seen 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo for $130k with no more than 10-15k miles on them. Basically a brand new car.

·
Registered
943 Posts

I've seen 2004 Lamborghini Gallardo for $130k with no more than 10-15k miles on them. Basically a brand new car.
Drive a Gallardo and an R8. You'll notice the difference. Same goes for the GT3 and the Turbo. Besides, everyone and their brother has a 911 and Gallardo.

Your logic would also mean that the CGT is a total rip off because it's 2x as much as the new GT2, but has similar performance.

Oh, and when did people who could afford R8's start caring about cost? If you think it's too expensive, you cant afford one or would never buy an exotic car because you think they are poor investments. And yes, nearly all exotics are terrible purchases. We are all well aware that they lose value faster than most things, but we could care less.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Don't suppose you'd be interested in a Veyron then ??

1,001 BHP at $1.6 million.

That's $1,600 per BHP......

And they stuill manage to well them !

By this standard, the R8's a bargain at only $314 per BHP.

If you just want BHP, then you do not understand sports cars, or the R8.

Go buy something Japanese - an Impreza or something - or some 7 litre American gas guzzler.

·
Registered
439 Posts

Such a formula is a rather strange way to value a car.

I have an MB SL55 with 493 hp. Does that mean it is worth 19% more than the Porsche? And that the Porsche is therefore over-priced?

Why not go by price per pound? The R8 weighs more than the GT3. So shouldn't the R8 therefore cost more?

R8 England is right. If you're pricing a car on a per-unit basis -- be that unit power, weight, or even drag times -- the invariable choices would be a Corvette Z06 or a Dodge Viper. Having owned a Corvette and driven a Viper, I can assure you there are very good reasons that car enthusiasts with the financial means seldom choose either of those cars.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
If you just want BHP, then you do not understand sports cars, or the R8.
exactly. the car is more than the sum of its parts and that's the reason it is winning so many group tests eg the autocar best drivers car 2007 where it won out against the gt3 rs:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/VideosWallpapers/Videos.aspx?AR=227675&Page=2

also, heres a video of the r8 on the track at cadwell park against the gt3 rs from car magazine - the gt3 has a clear advantage on the straights as you'd expect but the handling allows it to keep up where the track gets twisty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju5uSOM3bZc

Theres so much more to a good car than the size of its engine.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
the r8 won the car magazine greatest cars of 2007 performance test - the magazine described it as follows:

"it's still a lot of money in anyones reckoning, but not for a car of this calibre. In the context of an M3 that costs £50k, a lamborghini (superleggera) that shares many of the r8's parts and costs over three times as much and a porsche (911 gt3 rs) that costs £94k but can't be driven in the rain, the r8 easily cements its place as a worthy winner".

around the dry track at cadwell the times were:

lambo: 54.45s
911 gt3rs: 53.81s
r8: 55.56s

what was interesting though was the r8's slowest cornering speed was 52.6mph (same as the lambo) whereas the gt3 rs's slowest was 51.7mph.

·
Registered
772 Posts
the fact that the cars are trading well above list price at the moment gives the best indication of what their worth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Audi is trying to position itself higher up in the pyramid of manufacturers. It has climbed from "Volvo-esque" levels in the 80's, survived the "unintended acceleration" farce of the 90's, and is now nicely comparable to BMW and Merc. With the R8 it will probably take a portion of the Porsche market, but if priced too low it will simply be cross shopped with Corvettes. I personally think it could come in at $100k instead of $120k and be more competitive but their marketing division has been pretty successful to date.

·
Registered
340 Posts
cowzer - second thought, I realize that you are a kid. So you don't get it. So it would be a waste of time......:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
The R8 uses the same engine as the RS4 does. So basically any sucker who buys this is driving around in a $130,000 RS4 with a different body style.
:D You got me laughing too. Are u saying the lotus elise is a overpriced toyota and anyone buying it is a pin head?

You should buy one and drive it. Try driving the 911 turbo and audi r8 and audi rs4 and spot the difference. You'll probably have to buy them to do so.

·
Registered
564 Posts
i didnt even try to read the thred.. i know that probably some guys made it rite with their replies...

BUT really.. if someone does not know the dets of this car.. he should firstly read some specs and maybe spend a little time here with us in the forum.. before comparing champignons with truffles and saying they are and taste the same.. only because the BOTH are some how made of mushroom? ;)

good nite

·
Registered
150 Posts
I was at my Audi dealer today and the guy said that they are accepting orders for the Audi R8. I asked him what the cost would likely be. He said $130,000. I started laughing.

Funny ****. For the same price (or even slightly less) you can get a brand new 911 Turbo with almost 500 HP with the same technological quality. and you don't have to wait 17 years to get it.
yep cowzer when you are old enough and pass your driving test give them all a test drive - you will know instantly why we all love the R8! :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: cannot wait

My R8 should be arriving in OZ next month as one of the first in the country. Can't understand some of the negative talk on this site. Beautifull design, exclusive, totally driveable and well built - what more would you want from a sports car?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts