Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the car a little over a week a ago and have done 1000km these are my thoughts.

It is a much better car then i ever imagined i have driven 911 astons etc the R8 blows them out of the water. Its so poised so easy to drive it gives a lot of confidence.

Two things that are a bit negative is shifting from second to third is not smooth i tend to hit the gate when trying to shift really fast also it feels weird when taking your foot off the gas it does not slow down as smoothly as other cars (has anyone else noticed these issues?)

The attention you get is a bit OTT but all good comments. Taking it to another road trip tomorrow night and traking it Sunday cant waite...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just got my car last week also. No problem with the 2nd to 3rd shift. I did have a little problem at first coordinating the clutch and the gas. Great car, I love it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It takes a little getting used to an R8, but it will feel very natural after a while.

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I also thought the gate was awkward at first. No problem now; I think two things happened:

1. The gear box broke in and shifts smoother.
2. I stopped moving the shifter in a motion that I thought the gate needed, and just started sliding it up and over as in any other car.

That said, it's not a Hurst shifter; that is, you aren't going to set any records for speedy shifts. And 5th and 6th remain somewhat awkward due to the high spring force to overcome.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Glad you like your car ....after one year ... I love mine as much as I did on day 1.

No problem shifting 2nd to 3rd .... but then I have R Tronic :) :) :)

Joking aside, Desperado is right ...I drove a stick-shift R8 for the two day Audi Sportscar Experience and didn't find the gate a problem once I started to ignore it and let the lever find its way naturally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You are right, oil thirsty things they are; mine drank 2L of oil in the first week & 800 miles, a bit of a worry when the low oil indicator lights up after a few days, 2000 miles now and its thirst seams to have been quenched.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just did another 6 hour desert run it was epic. I love it when you turn into a corner and deep down you think im not goint to make it out of this one and the car just handles it like it was nothing. I dont think i am brave enough to test the limits of this car...

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Just did another 6 hour desert run it was epic. I love it when you turn into a corner and deep down you think im not goint to make it out of this one and the car just handles it like it was nothing. I dont think i am brave enough to test the limits of this car...
Do the Audi R8 Driving Experience in Sonoma .... I don't think I ever got to the limit but I certainly got way beyond what I thought it was :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've had mine since March this year and done 30,000 miles. Lets hope none of you have the same troubles as I have had - 7-8 weeks off the road (New gearbox, new rear suspension complete, engine out, new fuel tanks, new dashboard, new rear light gasket, new rear tail lamp. A service light that wont go out....)

I think theres more, but it gets difficult to remember.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had mine since March this year and done 30,000 miles. Lets hope none of you have the same troubles as I have had - 7-8 weeks off the road (New gearbox, new rear suspension complete, engine out, new fuel tanks, new dashboard, new rear light gasket, new rear tail lamp. A service light that wont go out....)

:rolleyes: Not a fan anymore then ???

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, still a fan, still a great car. However, if I was doing it again, I would have another RS4 (B7), it is actually a far better car - properly built, half the price and I did 88,000 miles with no problems (as the same with all other 10 Audis I have owned).

That said, the R8 is still an awesome car, fun to drive, a real head turner and great on the track - in fact its better on the track than the road - in my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about all of that! Was it all covered under warranty?

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
also it feels weird when taking your foot off the gas it does not slow down as smoothly as other cars (has anyone else noticed these issues?)
If by this you mean to say it slows down more forcefully than other cars, I suspect the 12.5:1 compression ratio together with the high redline may have something to do with it.

I participated in an Audi Club mountain drive recently. At the first stop, the gent following directly behind me in a S6 remarked that it seemed I never used my brakes, while he was braking in most every corner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just completed 2k miles in six weeks, now fully run in. Had to put 2l of oil in just before the 2k so not too bad. Took me a while to get use to the clutch and throttle, and even stalled it a couple of times.
I;ve never driven a car which attracts so much attention; but nothing negative whatsoever, other than a few boy racers deciding they want to overtake you in their Nissan Sunny's (Dewsbury in particular...) in a built up area. Great car, better than I hoped and enjoying it more every day.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes the attention is a pain I have been driving for 16 years have never been pulled over by the cops. Got the R8 two weeks ago and been stopped 3 times already...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes the attention is a pain I have been driving for 16 years have never been pulled over by the cops. Got the R8 two weeks ago and been stopped 3 times already...
Ouch! Knocking on wood as I say this but I haven't been pulled over yet. Have you invested in a radar detector?

·
Registered
604 Posts
My friend , an ex cop, reckoned I would always get stopped. But 11 months on it hasn't happened

1 - 20 of 23 Posts