Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a build slot and have to finalize my order this week. I always thought I'd hold out for Suzuka Gray, but now that Red seats and Titanium finish rims no longer require a trip to the Audi Exclusive catalog, I think I'd be just as happy with Ibis. My question is, do any of you have any thoughts -- and better yet, pictures -- of Ibis or Suzuka with Black interior AND Red seats (only) AND Carbon Fiber? Would this be tasteful or would it peg the gag meter?

Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I like white with red interiors, but just red seats and no other red to key it in might look like the seats were added after. this was a bug-bear for me with the mustang brown seats which were also the only item that colour in the car if that colour interior was specced.

With regards to carbon interior, to be honest I wouldn't spec this again as the screen surround trim comes in micro-metallic grey even if carbon interior is specced so it just doesn't feel well done enough to warrant the price tag to me.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
My advice would be to BE SURE you have SEEN an R8 with the std. option (new)red or (previously available) reddish brown (tuscan brown? I'd call it terra cotta) seats BEFORE you order it. If you can't see one, be sure to at least find some pictures. There are cars out there with the brown seats, but I'm not sure about the red yet. And some may like it very well, but I did not.

I have seen an R8 with the tuscan brown leather seats and I like the seat color, But ONLY the seat itself, and its slightly cheap looking (in that color) plastic base, are the reddish brown color. EVERYTHING ELSE in the interior is BLACK! It is NOT an attractive effect to my eye. The seat looks out of place, as if maybe you found some after-market brown seat and put it in your all black interior.

I assume the red will be the same situation. I am a great believer in excercising your individual taste, and, if you like the look, by all means order it. But I would surely try to see it done first, somewhere, somehow, because a lot of people have mentioned on this and other forums that they found it not exceedingly attractive.

After owning a '98 A6 which had the most incredibly tasteful and exquisitely executed interior colors, finishes and surfaces (and a broad scope of well coordinated choices in their selection range), I find it amazing that the R8 offers such a limited selection of good color choices in this "flagship" car.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
here's a pic of the brown to illustrate how they look at bit lost with nothing else to key them in. also added a pic of the carbon interior with the micro-metallic clearly visible on the satnav surround.

·
Registered
190 Posts
here's a pic of the brown to illustrate how they look at bit lost with nothing else to key them in. also added a pic of the carbon interior with the micro-metallic clearly visible on the satnav surround.
I have cognac interior which is a reddish brown but it is surrounded by the same color and it looks totally stunning. There is a small bit of black on the floormats and some of that polished grey on the doors. If the rest of the car was black, it would not have looked good... too much contrast

I have 2 Audi's in Ibis and its great. However, its no Suzuka Grey which is so unique and its seen so infrequently. I dont think you can wrong on the R8 with nearly any color you choose.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Yes! I thought of Russman's beautiful interior (of which he has posted nice pictures) when I wrote my post above. If you wanted to do the full custom interior as he did, no problem. But I couldn't agree more with the comment that the brown (or red) seats will look a little lost in all that black. Maybe in a black exterior, but the 3 distinct contrasts: white, black, red seats! It might be a little strong. But if YOU like it, you should do it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really, really appreciate your insight, Gentlemen. I'm going to mull it over. Maybe if I added the door inserts in Red it would balance it out.

On the other hand, I'd be just as happy with an all Black interior with deviated stitching in White, Alabaster or Red. Problem is, that single feature alone seems to require an expensive leather upgrade.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow...the cost adding Alabaster stiching or colored door panels is mind-boggling. We're talking about $8k to change the color of thread.

So, what about the Red seats, Black interior, and ... Black Audi floor mats with Red piping? This of course, on an Ibis/Black with Carbon Fiber interior, sideblade and engine trimmings. Would that tie those red seats together? (Anyone have standard Mustang/Tuscan seats with matching floormat for sake of reference).

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wow...the cost adding Alabaster stiching or colored door panels is mind-boggling. We're talking about $8k to change the color of thread.

So, what about the Red seats, Black interior, and ... Black Audi floor mats with Red piping? This of course, on an Ibis/Black with Carbon Fiber interior, sideblade and engine trimmings. Would that tie those red seats together? (Anyone have standard Mustang/Tuscan seats with matching floormat for sake of reference).
Personally, I would keep it simple. I have silver with all black interior and I am very happy with it. I thought it might get a little boring, but the CF trim works really well. I canceled my red(brown) seats last minute, I tried to figure how to tie the red/brown seats with the interior, but it was just too expensive thru Audi exclusive.

The design of this car is stunning in person, inside and out. I see the needs to customized a Porsche to the last details. I don’t think the R8 needs that. But this is such a personal preference, I seen white with candy orange blades, gray with some kind of airbrush art work on the blades...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MDC -- I agree. I have a Black/Black 997S with Red seatbelts. It's a simple, but stark, yet tasteful, contrast to the rest of the interior, and I love them. On one hand, I want to go with straight Black interior again. On the other hand, I hate to let the "free" Red seats go. I remain torn. I waffle.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Whirlinturbin, I had the 997s with red seat-belts too, I loved it! But if you read the post here, it is best to have some other details in matching color to tie in the color seats for a more integrated interior. To me, red seats r8 is great to look at, but it is too much if I am seeing it daily. In general, black leather stay “new” longer than lighter colors seats as wear and tear shows up faster and easier on lighter colors seat. But color is such a personal preference. I am sure someone will paint their R8 in rainbow colors soon.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MDC -- Again, good points. I saw my first R8 interior (black) in the flesh this weekend. I was surprised to see the perforated, shall I say cloth-like, material on the dash and upper doors. It was a lightly-used 2009 with the leather package. It made me ponder whether the extended leather appeared the same. Do you know?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
That is the standard finish which I think they call 'technical' which is why everyone goes extended......

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ianerrid -- Your car sounds just like mine's going to be (hopefully). Would you have enjoyed your car with crimson seats, everything else being the same?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I like white with red interiors, but just red seats and no other red to key it in might look like the seats were added after. this was a bug-bear for me with the mustang brown seats which were also the only item that colour in the car if that colour interior was specced.

With regards to carbon interior, to be honest I wouldn't spec this again as the screen surround trim comes in micro-metallic grey even if carbon interior is specced so it just doesn't feel well done enough to warrant the price tag to me.
Totally agree with the 1/2 finished Carbon Inserts, I really can't get my head around what Audi were thinking when they left the screen surround grey, I also noticed that the drivers door handle aligns very badly with the dash trim.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Even shiney black would be nicer than the weak-sauce silver surround I still have. Probably my best single upgrade on iterior is still the PPI steering wheel. :) :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts