Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really like the way the car feels fast, so it doesn't feel like it needs to be ragged all the time at license losing speeds to enjoy it. The handling delivers as much enjoyment as straight line speed does. Everything feels so fluid on twisty roads, especially with the r-tronic and in sport mode.

The nice and big digital speed reading in the DIS is great - found that very handy when being followed by the police for 20 miles on a-roads through constant speed limit changes today.

I wish they'd integrated the nav screen and dis better rather than them feeling like 2 entirely separate entities. After coming from the i-drive in the m6 it's really weird not having access to all the data like range, mpg etc alongside the nav map.

Really dislike the way the r-tronic goes to neutral when you are stationary without a foot on the brake or throttle - like at a junction. I've always said I had no issue with the paddles being fixed to the wheel as they're right where they should be 99% of the time, but when the box flicks to N it means tapping the brake and pulling a paddle which means it's far more likely to have the wheel turned right over when pulling out of a junction. BMW don't do this on their smg so can't see why audi couldn't adopt the same approach of controlling this via the computer rather than needing a manual nudge.

Kickdown even in manual sport mode despite the owners manual saying it won't do this came as a surprise. Was in M4S today and went for a lazy overtake only for it to kick down to third and do a "all hell breaking lose" job. Now I know it does actually do this I can just keep it back form that final throttle stop unless I want to kickdown.

It bugs me a bit that the nav surround is still micrometallic even with the cf inlays option.

Man is the magnetic ride firm, way too firm for the crappy roads around here but my thinking was that the lack of bounce might help for speed bumps. If it doesn't then it seems to be pretty much a waste of money for me.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me they are 2 very different cars - I really loved the m6 for the boxes that ticked, but they are different boxes than the ones the r8 ticks. I think both fufill their roles very well.

The m6 was noticeably faster in a straight line and more comfortable - but it is really a grand tourer morseo than a sports car imo. The other obvious difference being luggage storage capacity - but that is hardly a surprise.

The r8 feels far tighter, lighter and handles far better.

The stupid going to neutral thing aside, the r-tronic and smg feel very similar.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I too dislike the R-Tronic going to neutral when at a junction, but have now become used to it. The R8 advocate help desk says this is to keep the clutch from burning up. I would order another R-Tronic as I find it a joy to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The R8 advocate help desk says this is to keep the clutch from burning up.
I assume the bmw smg has to deal with the same thing, but they keep it hidden from the driver. It's not rocket science to get the computer move it into first gear when the throttle is applied.

Does driving the R8 give you a greater sense of occassion than the M6?
Absolutely. The r8 feels a lot more special than the m6 - the m6 is a very "easy" car whereas the r8 feels just awkward enough to feel special without feeling a step too far. An example is the long doors and low height which make entry just that touch more difficult but it lets you know it's something a bit special.

Looking in the side mirrors and seeing the rear flank view is special - as is hearing all the whirring from the engine behind your ears.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't see why the neutral is an issue for anyone; you are suppose to keep the brake pedal down when stopped, for safety reasons anyway! And if you keep it than it will stay in the first gear. With a regular automatic you will keep the brake pressed anyway, otherwise the car will move forward.

So ...

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have a regular automatic audi a4 so I'm familiar with the way they work - I think the difference could be that the r-tronic doesn't creep like an auto does so there is a lag between foot off the brake and moving forward under gas which can make all the difference at a junction and it's even more noticeable in a traffic queue where you don't want to blinding the car behind the whole time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts