Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last autumn before putting the car away for winter, I started noticing this faint ticking noise. I noticed it again on the first drive of the season now, so it reminded me to post a thread on it and see if others have experienced it and/or know what it might be.

I've noticed it coming from what seems like the glove box area or front right when I've come back from a drive. Because it's relatively faint, I'm not sure if it's always there (while the car is in motion) or only when I'm at a stand-still. As I typically drive with the windows down, and even with them up, there's enough other noise going on that you'd never hear it. But certainly at a stop, such as pulling into the garage, windows up and radio off, there it is... a slow, soft ticking noise that seems to come from the general area of the glove box.

As far as frequency, it might be once every two seconds or so. It's nothing that appears alarming, but I don't recall it being there in the past.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Not a relay is it? The fuse box is there though don't recall if there's a relay or two.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
As R8inLA says it could be a relay. There are a number of them directly underneath the glovebox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Last autumn before putting the car away for winter, I started noticing this faint ticking noise. I noticed it again on the first drive of the season now, so it reminded me to post a thread on it and see if others have experienced it and/or know what it might be.

I've noticed it coming from what seems like the glove box area or front right when I've come back from a drive. Because it's relatively faint, I'm not sure if it's always there (while the car is in motion) or only when I'm at a stand-still. As I typically drive with the windows down, and even with them up, there's enough other noise going on that you'd never hear it. But certainly at a stop, such as pulling into the garage, windows up and radio off, there it is... a slow, soft ticking noise that seems to come from the general area of the glove box.

As far as frequency, it might be once every two seconds or so. It's nothing that appears alarming, but I don't recall it being there in the past.

Thoughts?
Ticking time bomb? Were you in the witness protection program?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, a relay was on my list of potential issues. I just noticed that I had posted about this actually going back to late 2019! So, whatever it is, it's been there for a while. I haven't noticed any electrical issues, but I suppose it may just be on the way out? Car should be going in for service soon, so I'll have them check it out.

Reactions: SpeedOneMotorsports

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have a relay clicking so loud that you can hear it behind the glove box and underneath the padding, I would think you have an issue and would notice something. It is probably a flap motor for air distribution in the cabin. Audi and VW are notorious for having these go out and/or just making a ton of noise because they get stuck. You probably have a fault for one of them. Just a guess.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you have a relay clicking so loud that you can hear it behind the glove box and underneath the padding, I would think you have an issue and would notice something. It is probably a flap motor for air distribution in the cabin. Audi and VW are notorious for having these go out and/or just making a ton of noise because they get stuck. You probably have a fault for one of them. Just a guess.
Ahh, good suggestion there - thanks. I'll look down that path, as well!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmmm, I’ve noticed this same thing for over a year or so in my 2014 R8-V10. I also only hear it when at idle or it’s relatively quiet, and it’s persistent, about once every 10 seconds or so. It doesn’t appear to have affected the car in any discernible way, however, and since it’s so relatively innocuous, I’ve haven’t really pursued it. Maybe I should ...?

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ding, ding, ding... I think you've won the prize here.

If I completely turn off the HVAC system then the ticking noise disappears. I haven't scanned it yet, but that, alone, seems to tell me you're probably right. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts