Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As published in the UK ... has a review of the R8 in it as written by Paul Horrell ... although having not read the article just yet ... I'm not sure what the verdict is.

Also, Jason Barlow does comparison drives ... in an R8 and a Gallardo ... more interesting reading!!!

AndyW ... if you are reading this ... any chance you could scan the articles ... I can then post them up on here so our friends in other countries can read the articles ... :confused:

·
Registered
782 Posts
As published in the UK ... has a review of the R8 in it as written by Paul Horrell ... although having not read the article just yet ... I'm not sure what the verdict is.

Also, Jason Barlow does comparison drives ... in an R8 and a Gallardo ... more interesting reading!!!

AndyW ... if you are reading this ... any chance you could scan the articles ... I can then post them up on here so our friends in other countries can read the articles ... :confused:
Shall I donate you a scanner? LOL :)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both articles are fairly short ... but both the Top Gear guys seem to like it ... like most reviews they are positive with similar comments to other reviews ...

For example;
They like the design, detail, build quality ... they like the ride and the driver space ... they like the accessibility to the performance and pace at which it can be driven by your average driver ... and the confidence that is quickly procided.
They don't really run it down at all ... but like most reviews they note that it is not as communicative as a 911 thorugh the steering wheel.

Having now read the review article ... I'll give you my interpritations of it and comments made about some areas ... they felt the accelerator could have been slightly more responsive ... the smooth torque curve lacks some the drama of other high performance cars ... the brakes could have had slightly more initial bite ... the steering ratio could have been slightly quicker to provide a little more intimacy and feel.

The comparison article returns similar overall positive feedback ... all in all they both seem to rate the R8 quite highly ... whilst it is not an overly agressive performance car ... it is very much a high performance car that will appeal to a lot of customers with the kind of money required to buy one ... again reading between the lines it seems they feel it could be quicker in the hands of your average driver than a Gallardo on unfamiliar roads ... due to it giving the driver more confidence to press on even while they are getting to know the car ... something that might result in some unwanted dramas if trying to push on in a Gallardo when you are getting familiar with it ... giving the impression that while you might not fall in love with it in your first few outings ... the rewards it will provide if you give it some time will be returned with plenty of fun and lots of confidence to push on even if you are on roads you are unfamiliar with.

Overall a couple of good articles ... if you are an R8 enthusiast or customer ... but if you're a badge snob then they probably won't change your mind.

Anyway ... I've waffled on for far too long ... which I tend to do all too often ... so please excuse me :eek:

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shall I donate you a scanner? LOL :)
lol ... if AndyW isn't about ... I might be able to sort something over the weekend ... a lot will depend on work commitments and requirements though.

·
Registered
564 Posts
no worries Paul, read your info with pleasure :) and re the work commitments over weekend, I am sure we all can put together some money to buy you a cup of tea or coffee at nurburgring, or wherever we all meet once ;) ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no worries Paul, read your info with pleasure :) and re the work commitments over weekend, I am sure we all can put together some money to buy you a cup of tea or coffee at nurburgring, or wherever we all meet once ;) ;)
Thanks ... a coffee with milk and no sugar ... would be nice ... :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
and then a nice little spin through green hell... 20km of freedom, thrill and some other good things :D :D :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Paul - YHM! Sorry it's taken a while, haven't been on here lately.

Am I really the only one on this forum with a scanner? :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Paul - YHM! Sorry it's taken a while, haven't been on here lately.
Just got it ... I'll get on the case ... keep your eyes on this thread ... links to the pictures should be here soon.
Am I really the only one on this forum with a scanner? :D
Maybe not ... but you do such a good job with the scans ... it would be rude for anyone else to do it ... :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
Paul and Andy, youre the best, except for the R8 of course ;)

thank you for sweetening my saturday

·
Registered
564 Posts
they compare the R tronic with a "mug of old sick" compared to the manual gearbox which is like a bordeaux in comparison?? what is a mug of old sick anyway?? :confused: :confused:

thank god I stayed true to myself and ordered manual :D :D

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
what is a mug of old sick anyway?? :confused: :confused:
There is a saying that goes something like ... "Never ask a question if you don't want to hear the answer." ... but, seeing as you asked ... I will answer ... :p

I think you are possibly having a problem with the word ... "sick" ... which is the same as ... "vomit" ... now you are probably aware of what "sick" is ... you might be able to understand what "a mug of old sick" is ... :eek:

Sorry for ... hopefully ... explaining it ... but you did ask ... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts