Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a muffled comment by one of the Audi instructors at the track day, that the R8 may be limited to 155mph. Can anyone shed any futher light on this?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Highly unlikely that they would want to do that - its in the spec sheet 187mph

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it was limited, cook the chip and the limiter is gone :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
All published spec, plus the "dealer only" product info brochures, including comparisson charts with other cars, indicate 187 mph.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hopefully that is the case, although during the track day, the slideshow states "limited to 155mph" when this was questioned, the presenter said it was still under discussion with the British authorities. Keep your eye out for it on future track days!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hopefully that is the case, although during the track day, the slideshow states "limited to 155mph" when this was questioned, the presenter said it was still under discussion with the British authorities. Keep your eye out for it on future track days!
The 155 top speed is a gentlemans agreement for the premium German Manufacturers (Excluding Porsche) There is no law in any EU Country AFAIK that has any such regulations limiting a car's top speed.

The UK certainly has no regulations with regards this (We still have Ferrari et all with no limiters) and Audi do not need to seek any approval. They made a deliberate choice to have it unlimited as they are competing with Porsche.

BMW state the M5 would be "capable" of 200mph but it is limited to 155

·
Registered
564 Posts
yeah but you all not really honestly believe after all that 301 km/h bla bla.. they will limit the R8 now.. do you??? that would be the joke of the year.. ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
All published and dealer only spec state 187 mph as I posted above...........

The RS2 was supposidly limited to 155 mph, but in practice it wasn't.

I had an RS6+, with a 180 (?) mph top speed (don't remember exactly), and that was not limited.

Anyway, we have wonderful UK and EU laws, including the Sale of Goods Act and Trade Descriptions Act. If the goods are mis-represented or incorrectly described, we can form a queue at Milton Keynes and demand they fix it !!!

The thing about the British authoriries is an absolute load of bull. With a speed limit of 70 mph, it makes little difference it its 155, 187 (or 252 for the Veyron); its an instant driving ban !!!!!!

I intend to collect mine from Neckarsulm, and after driving from southern to northern Germany it should be run in enough to try.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I intend to collect mine from Neckarsulm, and after driving from southern to northern Germany it should be run in enough to try.

I wouldnt excessively try the german autobahns at the beginning.. give your car some credit.. and wait until its run in... ;)

·
Registered
718 Posts
Agreed Chris,

I won't try to test if there is a 155 mph limiter, until I have driven a good few hundred miles in southern Germany at reduced speeds.

Anyway, the Audi production video seems to indicate that all cars are hammered for 30-50 miles on the track and road to "test" them, before they leave the factory.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Met senior audi personnel at Oulton Park on Wednesday - was categorically reassured there is no truth whatsoever in this particular rumour.

There is NO limiter - speed is unrestricted 187mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts