Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone actually managed (legally) to hit 189 mph in their car? If so where?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I got as far as 170 mph on Bruntingthorpe's 2 mile straight. Despite entering the straight at increasing speeds, I could not get more.

Still pulling reasonably strongly at this speed, but it's clear you need a very long stretch of road to get to claimed top speed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
No, It is frightening how fast you eat up road at that speed. At 170, you cover 1/2 mile in about 10 seconds.

I guess 3+ miles would be good.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
On that same note, has anyone tested their speedometer against something else? I know the in VW's the speed is always slightly higher, and I wonder if it's the same in the Audis.

Not the greatest test, but when approaching one of those speed indicator billboards, it showed be at 68-69 when the dash showed me at 71-72. Not as huge a difference (if accurate) as in the VWs.

·
Administrator
6,215 Posts
I have put my portable GPS in my car to test, Audi runs 2 MPH slower than speedo shows

·
Registered
718 Posts
Yes, my run at Bruntringthorpe was for Performance VW magazine and they had fitted a Racelogic "Driftbox" to the car. As far as I can remember the speedo was within 2 mph at 170.

That seems to fit in nicely with RS4CAB's findings.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
This thread started with LEGALLY . Very funny ! A loss of liscence for sure if we got caught!!:) 170 for me,thats all conditions will allow.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This thread started with LEGALLY . Very funny ! A loss of liscence for sure if we got caught!!:) 170 for me,thats all conditions will allow.
So no location then!!

Has anyone at all checked the top speed???

·
Registered
761 Posts
I managed 140mph on I-89 going during a round trip Boston-Montreal then got caught at 87 mph. LOL. Sucker me.

Friend and I scheduled a weekend in September on what's called "little Nurburgring" (Michael Schumacher called it like that, not me :)) in Mont Tremlant, QC (3 hours north of Montreal).

Here is the link to the track:

http://www.lecircuit.com/

And here is a pic of the track:

I sure will try my very best to hit R8's top speed limit. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good luck Hovy, the top I could get on that track is 220 on the long straight. With R-tronic you will probably see more though.

Is your weekend a private event or are you doing it through the Jim Russell school?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Good luck Hovy, the top I could get on that track is 220 on the long straight. With R-tronic you will probably see more though.

Is your weekend a private event or are you doing it through the Jim Russell school?
Thanks! :)

220 mph? or km/h? Who knows maybe you were in a Veyron. :D

The weekend is a private event.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Oh no I was in an R8 very much like yours and yeah it's kph :D You can probably get it a bit higher but that turn comes pretty quickly ones you pass the cables.

You'll love your car, definitely. It's made for the track!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Oh no I was in an R8 very much like yours and yeah it's kph :D You can probably get it a bit higher but that turn comes pretty quickly ones you pass the cables.

You'll love your car, definitely. It's made for the track!

That's cool! Why don't you join us in September? I'll PM you mid to late August if you'd like. I don't know where you live but I know there is a black R8 in Westmout; the guy lives on top near the Saint-Joseph Oratory. I saw it few times when I go jog from where I live (downtown) to there. It'd be cool to get most R8 owners for a track day.

ps: I am also taking my Cayenne to see what it can do on a track :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
That's cool! Why don't you join us in September? I'll PM you mid to late August if you'd like. I don't know where you live but I know there is a black R8 in Westmout; the guy lives on top near the Saint-Joseph Oratory. I saw it few times when I go jog from where I live (downtown) to there. It'd be cool to get most R8 owners for a track day.

ps: I am also taking my Cayenne to see what it can do on a track :cool:
Odds are I'll be on my honeymoon and back around the 15th so any time after that I'd be available! Yeah I've seen that black R8 once, looks good. Also saw a Daytona like mine with CF and a silver with CF like yours.

I live in old Montreal.

So are you from Montreal? Which dealership did you get your R8 at?

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
220 is WEAK SAUCE!! 320 is more like it!!:)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Odds are I'll be on my honeymoon and back around the 15th so any time after that I'd be available! Yeah I've seen that black R8 once, looks good. Also saw a Daytona like mine with CF and a silver with CF like yours.

I live in old Montreal.

So are you from Montreal? Which dealership did you get your R8 at?
So you're getting married this summer! Congrats! No worries. Enjoy your honeymoon. I am also gone on vacation in a week 'til end of August. I'll PM you and if you're available and wish to join, it'll be nice. I will try to get in touch with other Montreal R8 owners (via forums) to see if they'd also like to join.

Long story short: I am technically not from Montreal. My parents moved to the city and I grew up here from age 12 to 18 then went to college in Massachusetts. I quit college a year later to join an uncle in the construction business in Turkey, stayed there 5 years and came back to North America (still commute frequently to Boston).

Montreal is my hometown though, I've been to zillion cities around the world and I find it to be just great (expect for the LONG winter).

All my cars were and still are registered in MA. So if you see a silver/CF R8 or a black metallic cayenne turbo S, chances are that it's me. I'll give you a hint: we normally have to have a front and rear license plate in MA, but none of my cars ever had front license holders/plates, I only put rear; I hate front license plates; breaks the car's design. My car was purchased at Audi of Westwood in MA.

I live on De Maisonneuve (1200 West), the twin towers right across Le Roc Fleuri. We're not far: 10-15 mins. ;)

We need a R8 get together, all back to back cruising the city like Hells Angels :p

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have put my portable GPS in my car to test, Audi runs 2 MPH slower than speedo shows
that's actually pretty accurate. someone when I coast next to someone and can see their large digital speedo, and i'm going the same speed, it's about 2-3mph difference.

i saw a youtube a while ago with someone who did 202MPH and it was on video. it's probably still on youtube.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
Yes, my run at Bruntringthorpe was for Performance VW magazine and they had fitted a Racelogic "Driftbox" to the car. As far as I can remember the speedo was within 2 mph at 170.

That seems to fit in nicely with RS4CAB's findings.
Good to know. I know in my GLI it got to the point where you were 3MPH off at like 35. At 75 you were doing maybe 67-68

1 - 20 of 24 Posts