Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the TPMS warning go off on my dash, along with the (!) symbol. Checked all 4 tires and they seem fine.

Drove for a bit and the warnings went off, only to come back again the next day. They're now off again, but what's going on here?

Original wheels/tires and they look like they have sufficient air

·
Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Is the pressure perhaps "borderline"? When the tires are cold, the pressure may be lower, they heat up a bit and puts it above the threshold where the light goes off?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Check your tyre pressure first and reset via the computer and if not it could possibly be one of the TPMS failing (Battery) and losing communication with tpms module. Hence throwing up a fault.!

Also will depend on the age.?

Dealer should be able to check it. Not to sure if it can be checked with a Vag-com for which one is playing up.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
What a coincidence. I have the same problem with the same symptoms. Just happened in the last 2 weeks. The error is "TPMS System Malfunction".

The dealer, or any quality tire shop should be able to tell you the status of your sensors by using a TPMS service tool that can read all the information that they broadcast (including the non-replaceable battery status).
In my case there are two "bad" sensors and they wanted $550 to replace. I decided to wait until I need my next set of tires to have all 4 changed at the same time being that the sensors are ~ 5 years old (about the claimed operating life).

Do note that you may be getting all sorts of unrelated errors due to the TPMS control module spamming the CAN buss with error signal and preventing other components from talking to the ECU. In my case I was getting ESP error as well as Transmission malfunction error, all which I ignored because I knew that Swansailor experienced something similar a couple years ago but due to loose stems (fixed by re-torquing to the proper spec).

I remember reading that one of the supporting vendor on this site was selling a full set (4) of TPMS sensor for a very reasonable price (compared to the dealer).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have had some experience with TPMS recently, if they are old units and tyre pressures are fine sounds like the batteries are flat.
If so new sensors needed and most importantly you'll need someone who has the specific tool to recode them to the car..

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks. Do you know if Vag-Com or another tool can tell which particular TPMS sensor has failed? Hopefully it is not trial and error to narrow down which of the 4 sensors has failed?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks. Do you know if Vag-Com or another tool can tell which particular TPMS sensor has failed? Hopefully it is not trial and error to narrow down which of the 4 sensors has failed?
I'm not 100% sure but as far as I know it's not possible. It might be able to tell you which axle, i.e. front or rear as this is how pressures are coded in (total psi per axle) but I'm not sure.
It might give you the serial code for which one is out, then you can use a reader tool to find it on the car.
However if one has failed from battery death then they will all need replacing as the others won't be far behind...

When I put new TPMS in all four of my wheels recently the malfunction error came up and didn't go away even after 30 miles of driving. Audi were unable to fix it as they no longer had the tool (!) But took it up to Ricky and he, of course, put it right with some re-coding.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am currently experiencing the same with my GT. All 4 are failing due to batteries so looking at a full replacement job. If anyone has advice on aftermarket vs. OEM, would be much appreciated. If aftermarket, which ones have you had success with?

And to determine which sensor/wheel, take it to a reputable tire shop and they should be able to easily scan and tell you for free. Discount Tire in my neck of the woods was able to check all 4 within minutes and was able to tell me all 4 were on the brink of failing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts