Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ferrari 458 is definitely a looker. It also provides an exhilarating driving experience. After owning 3 of them I'm now settling into the R8 Spyder Plus. I'm learning more about the performance setting s and have to say its becoming a real blast to drive. I love the usability factor of the R8. My assessment so far after a month of ownership: The car is faster than my 458. The 458 is more visceral. The R8 Plus is really fast and gets up to speed in a more refined manner without making a fuss. It handles unbelievably well, everything works and I drive it almost on a daily basis which is the reason I went for it. I'm getting tired of the mileage sensitivity of Ferrari. I recently went to a Ferrari dealership and told them I swapped my 458 with 27K miles for the R8 Spyder Plus. To my surprise the salesman said "that was the best move you could have made." He said the general Ferrari population doesn't have interest in modern Ferraris with over 30K miles. Makes no sense to me but that's the way things are in "Ferrari world." Having said all of the above I sold my last 550 Maranello with over 50K miles and missed it so much I bought another one ;). Front engine NA gate shifted cars are ALL about the drive and driver. Okay I'll stop rambling.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

·
Registered
886 Posts
Interesting...I asked around with friends and family and all of them voted for the R8. A bit surprising to be honest.

Also read som older threads and 458 was the clear winner in them. Maybe something have changed in the later years for the R8:s favor even in the looks department.
Doesn't surprise me. I never warmed up to the 458 front end. It doesn't stand out on the road as much as an R8 IMO. I would bet most non enthusiasts would pick an R8 if not for the F car mystique.

Love the engine sounds, and heritage of the F brand however.

·
Registered
2021 Audi R8 V10 RWD
43 Posts
The R8 is such a reliable platform with that V10 engine. The R8 maintenance is also lower compared to 458. The money you save can be well spent in modifications such as exhaust and tune and make the driving experience that much better. The best thing I love about my R8 is how comfortable it is and it isn't destroying my body driving it fast and aggressive. A simple tune and exhaust is all you need, and the looks of the gen 2 facelift is just too good.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I can't remember if the car on the left was a 458 or 488, but either way, the rear end on the R8 is wider.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie, other brother might deny...."
Sir Mix-a-Lot

I do have a question for 458 or 488 owners as I love their lines from the side and front. I honestly do not like the R8 from the front much at all. I wish it's nose was longer like Lambo or Ferrari, but that rear end... wow... makes up for all the faults in the front.

So the question is, with rear wheel drive and a lot of power, do you / did you ever feel it was too squirrely when stomping the throttle from slower speeds?

Tire Car Land vehicle Plant Building

·
Registered
147 Posts
Its all about the use case.
Regularly drive home from the airport at 1am on a European winters night is not something i would do in a 458, my R8 absolutely yes. If i had the money and lived in SoCal i would have the 458. Daily drive my R8 and used examples suggest many many more people do than equivalent 458s.
Its like a japanese sports bike vs Ducati but at a different price point.

p.s. anybody who reckons they need the hp increase from an exhaust on an R8 is kidding themselves unless they already own an FIA super licence.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts