Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids are now grown and have their own cars so my new R8 will replace my 2001 Honda Odyssy as my daily driver. I'm anticipating that I wont be giving up much in performance but I have to figure out how I'm going to take my bicycles around. I'm really gonnna miss that car. I mountain bike several times per week and need to drive to the best locations. The best bicycle racks are mounted on the trailer hitch. Hmmm, as I sit here typing this question in my garage i look around and it seems my collection of bicycles cost nearly the same as my R8.

Is a trailer hitch possible? Anybody done it?:eek:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well Travis McGee had a Rolls Royce pickup so I see no reason why you cannot add a hitch to your R8. I would think that a roof mounted rack would be less difficult though. Either way post photos when you are done.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thinking about how the R8 frame is built I would venture that you would have to drill through the aluminum (not a good idea) to bolt a steel hitch onto it, which would more than likely cause corrosion since 2 different metals connecting corrode as a natural chemical reaction.

My educated guess is that a roof rack would work a lot better.

I stand to be corrected that said. I'm a lawyer who hasn't done chemistry or engineering since many years. Any engineers reading this?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I purchased an A4 Avant just for that reason... somehow Edoel's "thread" seems hard to believe. Oh, just one more thing. I think a Thule bike rack may work. I have one of those and used it on the back of my old C5 Vette once... when I only had one car. But it was holding two very light road bikes.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know that Audi has a ski rack for the R8, so I'm guessing that they also have adapters that will convert that into a bicycle rack, and if not it should be an easy conversion.

That way you're certain that it will fit properly.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I purchased an A4 Avant just for that reason... somehow Edoel's "thread" seems hard to believe.
Just what I was thinking. I have a Nissan truck for my daily driver / expedition vehicle. To use an R8 as a mode of bike transport just doesn't seem right :confused:

Next someone will be posting up about fitting mudflaps :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just what I was thinking. I have a Nissan truck for my daily driver / expedition vehicle. To use an R8 as a mode of bike transport just doesn't seem right :confused:

Next someone will be posting up about fitting mudflaps :eek:
That mudflaps comment is pretty funny. My Rivendell has leather mudflaps!

I needed a new car and decided on an R8. Its gonna be my daily driver and I need to bike around so i stay in shape and enjoy this life - younger next year. Therfore my R8 will need to transport my bike to the hills. No big deal.

Good thought from Rob A that we need to buffer the steel from aluminum to avoid corrosion - use rubber bushings on my sailboat.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I would go with the ski rack option. Many porsche's have bikes on them with this setup... And I agree completely that we use the R8 to fit our full and athletic lifestyle.The R8 is not some sacred cow. Its just a very good sports car. Overweight old men may not respect the rack. But healthy, good looking women will understand your choice completely.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That mudflaps comment is pretty funny. My Rivendell has leather mudflaps!

I needed a new car and decided on an R8. Its gonna be my daily driver and I need to bike around so i stay in shape and enjoy this life - younger next year. Therfore my R8 will need to transport my bike to the hills. No big deal.

Good thought from Rob A that we need to buffer the steel from aluminum to avoid corrosion - use rubber bushings on my sailboat.
Glad you saw the funny side of it Edoel :cool: Sometimes Scottish humour doesnt translate all that good in the US ;)

I'm into my biking as well and take my hat off to you for using your R8 as a daily driver :) Would you not be better off driving a beater for your bike trips ? I know the mess the paint of my truck gets into with bikes being loaded onto the back etc surely you don't want to risk wrecking the R8 when putting your bike on board ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
<...>
Rubber bushings would diminish but not eliminate the problem. You would still have bolts connecting steel and aluminum.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I mounted a trailer hitch on my NSX, to tow a very small tire trailer (slicks to use at the track). It worked well, I trailered it for thousands of miles. I'm looking at doing an exhaust upgrade on the R8, and to do so you have to remove the bumper cover and bumper, and so have looked into that.

I haven't really checked this yet, but like the NSX I bet the R8's bumper is not aluminum, it's steel. Aluminum bumpers are not strong enough. For the NSX, I bolted a very small class 1 hitch to the bumper, and cut a hole in the bumper cover to gain access to it. The load I put on it was very small, the entire trailer was 300 lbs and the tongue weight was near zero.

I can imagine bolting a very small 1" square receiver to the bottom of the bumper. I would think that might be possible to do that in the R8, although I can't say I strongly recommend it. With a bike rack, I would worry about the torsion on the hitch bending or breaking the bolts that hold on the bumper, especially if you went over a big bump with a load of bikes on it. It does seem kinda sacrilege to do that to a "supercar". You would have to be very careful to always tow a very small amount of weight, and I'm not real sure what it would do to your warranty.

Here's a picture of what you're dealing with (from the service manual).

I'm not so sure about the mudflaps, but what about some neon tubes or spinner wheelcovers? :rolleyes:

mt

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would go with the ski rack option. Many porsche's have bikes on them with this setup... And I agree completely that we use the R8 to fit our full and athletic lifestyle.The R8 is not some sacred cow. Its just a very good sports car. Overweight old men may not respect the rack. But healthy, good looking women will understand your choice completely.

I would certainly respect their racks. :eek: The good looking women that is, not the overweight old men. Thanks for the photo's. I'll dig in a little further on the hitch and let you all know if i get somewhere

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm struggling to find a rack for my R8 as well. i discovered this image while looking online for a suitable rack

can't really tell what model it is....any clue?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm struggling to find a rack for my R8 as well. i discovered this image while looking online for a suitable rack

can't really tell what model it is....any clue?
Sorry
That's a fake picture ,look at the right front bearer its sitting on the body ,the left front bearer is sitting on the engine cover and if you look at the back of car the cycle carrier is not sitting square on,its twisted slightly right to make it fit and has no straps to tie it down .

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Wow this is the best info on the subject so far.
Are the drawings from an actual R* spyder. I ask because I have a 911 Turbo and had a hidden trailer hitch instaled so that I can brings bikes or golf bags when I go away on weekend trips.
I called the shop who did the job as he has done a lot of Porshces but no Audi's and if I could send him some pics of the rear of the car he may be able to let me know if he can do it.
I know it seems silly to some people, but nothing better than going with a convertible to a weekend get a way with bikes, and even though I know the Audi is such a more pleasant car to drive than the turbo, though slower, the lack of space makes a big difference if you like to drive the car as often as possible

Getting a trailer hitch allows for golf bags and bikes and even a storage box if you go away for a few months.
Thanks for your info

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
I haven't really checked this yet, but like the NSX I bet the R8's bumper is not aluminum, it's steel. Aluminum bumpers are not strong enough.
It turns out the R8 bumper (#1 in the diagram) is aluminum. It is a pretty lightweight extrusion.

There are a number of us who would like to take an extra set of wheels to the track. If you do this eliouno, we'd love to hear and see more about the solution you end up with.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I'm definetely going to get it checked out as it is just such a big advantage on the limited space, and so will post any news I get. I have to make a final decison however whether to go with the turbo or the R8. I'm leaning on the R8 and will decide this week as the dealer has one that suits me....will update

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
If it's a VERY light trailer, I think you could probably do some sort of drop down receiver from the aluminum bumper that ends up behind that lower, center panel in the rear panel lower.

Then make the hitch go into the receiver. The panel will pop in and out fairly easily.

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
@eliouno, go with the R8, you'd be doing the right thing :)

@robot, I'm using an inflatable rack called Handirack, http://www.handiworld.com/HandiRack and it works perfectly for transporting snowboards and skis on the roof, it's a quality product, with the exception of the hand pump which seems a bit flimsy, but can easily be replaced.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts