Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are transmission problems common with the Audi R8? I have a 2012 R8 V10 manual transmission with about 10,000 miles. I read a few posts about people having problems with their transmission. Obviously there is always someone with an issue of some sort, but is it a common problem for these cars? I am worried about having transmission problems around 30,000 miles. I probably drive 9,000 miles a year and I plan on keeping it for a few more years. I purchased an extended warranty and I would like to do an APR tune but if it is common to have transmission problems I don't want to worry about the dealer being a pain about the chip (if they do indeed notice the ecu was opened) and voiding my warranty if I due come across a transmission issue.

Sometimes I feel like putting the car into fourth gear is harder than it should be but really my transmission feels great right now.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Not aware of any particular issues, especially on manual cars. I certainly haven't had any and the car has a lot more miles than yours by now. Your car isn't really high mileage but what could make a noticeable difference (did for me) for you is to change your transmission oil with good stuff like Motul. It's an easy job.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Some gear change issues are caused by clutch rather than transmission.

The main thing with these gearboxes is oil level and quality, change it regular and make sure the level is correct. Once changed take it for a drive to get the gearbox oil thermostat to open then recheck the level. Majority of issues are caused by underfilling, clutch not clearing on gearshift (worn synchros) or bent selector forks (too aggressive on shifting).

They aren't petrifying to rebuild should the worst happen......I have 2 in at the minute and one is from Australia.

I hope that helps.

Cheers Ricky

·
Vendor
76 Posts
Well spoken Ricky. They really are a delicate balance of joy and severe pain. The race cars were dropping gear and clutch position sensors as well. Same part as the OEM hardware from the dealer. Either there was a hardware fix there or many have been lucky there. Reprogramming errors and aftermarket clutches not suited for the gearbox and forced induction certainly play their role as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 R8 manual spyder V10 need someone in the states on this matter seems like the dealer here is clueless all good except little hard going in reverse sometimes dealer tried to adjust linkage says its synchros. Car has 16000 miles on it thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts