Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Saw "Truth in 24" last evening on the big screen at a private screening in a local theater, courtesy of our local Audi dealer. It is a stunningly good motor racing documentary and a very enjoyable film.
Don't miss a chance to see it. ESPN's main channel (and HD channel) is screening it Friday Eve. 3/20 on US cable tv--5:00pm PDT/8:00pm EDT. Set your DVR's!!

I liked everything about the film, and it certainly sells the concept that Audi seeks truth through engineering in all it's endeavors. Since the '08 LeMans race is history, it won't spoil the ending to say that the film makes clear that Audi won the race with a slower car (the R10's regularly gave up +3.00sec or more per 3.5 minute lap to the Peugeots...and they were going to be doing that for 24 hrs!!) by dint of out-engineering their opponents--in the holistic sense of engineering: people and events as well, not just machines.

But the film also documents an effort filled with lots of feeling and emotion. I think the take away message is "superior engineering with emotion". Kind of underlines the design message of Audi's cars, actually! In short, a very good film and a marketing smash for Audi!

The film was made by the marketing arm of AudiUS, not the parent company, but it is such an appealing product, I am sure it will be shown worldwide. Speaking of marketing, the single most constantly repeated verbal phrase from the visual images in the film is the phrase; "TDI". Everywhere you look in the film you see "TDI:" all over every team members Nomex suit; on their T shirts when they're at leisure and very prominently displayed on the cars. Clearly, AudiUS want's every American to instantly make a correct and positive association when seeing the letters "TDI" !!

If you're an Audi fan, don't miss this movie. If you're not, yet, you may be converted by this film!

·
Registered
38 Posts
it's a great flick if you are an enthusiast. I second your suggestion for everyone to check it out. I saw it at the premier here at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood. My wife even liked it....and she could care less about cars much less racing. The free drinks on Audi and the post-premier interview session with the drivers was also most excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Everywhere you look in the film you see "TDI:" all over every team members Nomex suit; on their T shirts when they're at leisure and very prominently displayed on the cars. Clearly, AudiUS want's every American to instantly make a correct and positive association when seeing the letters "TDI" !!
The LMP1 Acura special on Speed Channel is also very good. I forget where they were doing their testing but TDI was plastered all over the bridge over-crossings! Here we go!!!

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Is the TDI 12 cylinders? If it is ,it would make some serious power on gas.How long is the movie?

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My point about "TDI" (VW/Audi's t/m for their "turbo-diesel injection" engines) is that Audi seems to be making a serious marketing effort to position "TDI" as a "brand name", if you will, for speed, power, efficiency, etc.. I would suspect that's all part of a very big and carefully orchestrated campaign to put Audi and Audi's new diesels in the mind of the US car buyer as a leading choice as the new diesels are introduced.

Our local dealer is expecting the first Q7 TDI within the next month, and I'm sure Audi would like it if people notice that "TDI" badge on the rear hatch and associate it with those fast, reliable cars in "Truth in 24." That and the cross-country mileage fest with A3, A4, Q5 and Q7 TDI's are all signs, I suspect, that Audi is putting a major emphasis on selling diesels in the US. Would suggest to me that, if the R8 is their image, "halo" car, an R8 diesel production model would be pretty likely.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
My point about "TDI" (VW/Audi's t/m for their "turbo-diesel injection" engines) is that Audi seems to be making a serious marketing effort to position "TDI" as a "brand name", if you will, for speed, power, efficiency, etc.. I would suspect that's all part of a very big and carefully orchestrated campaign to put Audi and Audi's new diesels in the mind of the US car buyer as a leading choice as the new diesels are introduced.
There are already quite a few TDIs on the road - in Volkswagens. Audi can market TDI all it wants but it's going to take a culture change in America for them to be successful. The average American believes diesels are dirty and diesel fuel is expensive. If that perception changes (and the government stops taxing the crap out of diesel fuel), TDI will be able to compete with new generation hybrids & ULEVs.

The R15's TDI's fuel efficiency was demonstrated yesterday at Sebring and will be an even more significant factor at Le Mans. Audi is doing it's part.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
My last trip to the Az. I spotted a V W Toureg with the W12 T D I. Anyone you know? She was a beutiful short haired Blondie.Audi also offers a W 12 but gasser. We all know that the deisels are already high compression and stronger than dirt.Conversion of a deisel to gas works a lot better than a gasser converted to deisel.I know,I used to own a Caddilac deisel and it just didn't have enough head bolts!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
They are also supposed to be releasing the HD version of Truth in 24 on itunes within the next week or two. Also free for download.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts