Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a few nice 15 V10's for $100k. I'm seeing 18 RWS for the $115k range.
Test drove an 18 RWS today.
And test drove a 17 plus a few weeks ago.

The gen 2 is very luxurious but feels like a bit too comfy for my tastes? In particular I miss using the shift lever for shifting. Yes it's very fast but and way more modern. But not a car I would crave the backroad driving. Gen 1 felt a bit more connected.
Overall I like the Gen 1 best exterior... however LOVE the rear of the gen 2.

My heart says Gen 1 but for 15k more seems like the Gen 2 is the better value.

What I really want is a GT but its 8 years old now... and I just don't like when a car gets that old.

I figure... I can always buy the Gen 1 then make the jump to Gen 2 in a few years if I get bored...

Anyways... wondering if anybody else has made this decision. Or if I'm dumb and will regret not jumping into a more modern Gen 2

·
Registered
297 Posts
If it wasn't for me being so stubborn and only accepting a gated R8, I would honestly take a Gen2. They are both beautiful but I had to have the gated shifter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
297 Posts
If it wasn't for me being so stubborn and only accepting a gated R8, I would honestly take a Gen2. They are both beautiful but I had to have the gated shifter.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I can’t imagine you’d “regret” either car. That’s the best part of your decision, you can’t go wrong because both are so **** good. I personally own a gen 1 facelift and it’s incredible.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve owned both, Gen 1 manual is special because it’s a manual, it’s fun and looks better exterior wise. Gen 2 is significantly faster, much easier to live with than a manual or r tronic, and interior is far better than gen 1, but the exterior is not as pretty as gen 1 on the prefacelift, IMHO. If picking between a dct gen 1 and gen 2 id probably go gen 2 all the way, Vorsteiner kit will make it look waaaayy better.

Reactions: hamannperformance

·
Registered
132 Posts
Actually, the Gen1 options might turn out to be the better value. I've noticed the depreciation curve on the latest Gen1 V10+ models has essentially stopped the last year. Many believe this is the bottom/turning point to an appreciating curve.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I’m a gen 1 manual owner, but have never driven the gen 2. I’ve driven the Huracan though. My vote would be for gen 2 all day if going dct. Good luck

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
For me, the Gen-1 is the only option. Power differences are irrelevant to me at these numbers - it's all more than fast enough to be used (and have fun) in normal street driving. However, LOOKS are far from irrelevant, and the Gen-1 is just a beautiful, timeless thing... a work of art.

On the driving side, I also value the more old-school approach. The Gen-1's hydraulic steering is wonderful - electric has come a far way, but it doesn't feel as connected as hydraulic to me. The dials are real - sweeping across the tach and speedo. There's a real e-brake in the center console. And, as silly as it sounds, I really enjoy turning an old-school key and firing up the R8.

On the interior side, I may be in the minority, but I like the sweeping dash style of the Gen-1 better, as well. It has this low-slung cocoon feel, and I appreciate that it still has a center infotainment screen. The interior quality, especially with all the trimmings, is outstanding - including the feel of that metal shifter. What's NOT so great? Well, clearly the infotainment tech - but, for me, that's minor as I used it to play songs - rarely concerning myself with anything else.

Where you can't go wrong? Both have a gem of a V10, and as an S-Tronic owner, I can attest to the fantastic transmission that you'll also find in the Gen-2.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, the Gen1 options might turn out to be the better value. I've noticed the depreciation curve on the latest Gen1 V10+ models has essentially stopped the last year. Many believe this is the bottom/turning point to an appreciating curve.
I think they all have stopped depreciation... but the speculation is its the Covid impact on used cars. I think that plus high stock market plus super low interest rates on homes and cars.

Either way, I look at a 2010 R8 V10 to project where a 14 will be in 2 to 3 years. Still slow depreciation curve.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the responses. I think straight up I would take a gen 2 however while much more modern and comfortable, it just didn't feel as engaging. I think its a combo of all the noise insulation plus lacking any type of gear shift. As a long time manual guy, I actually liked the metal shifter in the Gen 1.

I wish I could drive both back to back... but these cars are too rare and that's just not possible.

The other factor is I would like to stay at 100k or less... so a gen 1 fits the budget better vs. stretching to get a gen 2 for 115k to 120k. I drove a 3k mile RWS which was under 120k. Its a pretty nice value for an 18.

Honestly, I think its a better value for a 115k 2018 3k mile RWS than a 15 11k mile gen 1 for 100k.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
It's not a one is better than the other it's what you prefer. I've had seat time in both.

Unless you "gotta have the manual" it's a Gen 2 all day. Daily drive my Gen 2. I've done road, track, autocross, drag strip. Car is more than capable on a back road and a beast. Gen 2 V10 Plus. :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
gen 2 hands down.. dct tran way better and faster, compare to old manual electronic assist..that delay shifting kill it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I went through a similar decision making process a few years ago, and ended up with the Gen 1 V8. I really found that the speed was more than enough for me in the V8 and the sound of that motor made it for me. I like the looks of Gen 1 a lot better and I love the interior. I hate having to put the key in like its 1995 though.....

I also was really considering adding a Huracan to my fleet this year and got pretty far down the buying path before realizing that I just couldn't enjoy driving it as much as it was just too fast and trying to kill me the whole time.

My point is, buy what you want and there is no wrong answer to that!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All... thanks for the thoughts. I like hearing others POV on how they decided one way or another.

I was about to put a deposit on a 15 Competition... but I've already owned a gen 1. And while a pretty car, its starting to look a bit dated from some angles. So decided to go for a gen 2 for a new experience plus enjoy all the updates.

So now the hunt begins for a black / red 17 in my budget. Black is easy to find, but red interior is tougher. However going to stick it out for the "right" car vs. getting anxious. Must have carbon bits, 20's, and B&O. But I can live without the plus since I'll be swapping exhausts and didn't think the sport exhaust was loud enough for me :)

I love the rear of the gen 2, especially in black. So I can stare at this pic in the meantime to tide me over...

Reactions: Fasteddy91
1 - 20 of 20 Posts