Audi R8 Forums banner

Twin Turbo Project

198K views 766 replies 66 participants last post by  Dads R8 
#1 ·
Well took a half day and went over to Top Speed to see all the goodies that they ordered. Saw the turbos and everything so I guess I will officially start the thread. I know I am more into the data and building side of things and thought I would just share the journey with everyone. I officially drop the car off on Tuesday for them to start the project and I could not be happier with the team I chose to do the build. Great group of guys who are willing to do anything I am willing to throw at them and pay for :) I am pretty sure if I told them I wanted to go to the moon they would figure out a way to build something for me.

Going to strap on a pair of GT35s with a complete custom kit from Top Speed. Doing the Motech stand alone and boost by gears. I have no clue what the final numbers will look like but I am curious as anyone else. They have one of the best tuners and frabicators out there so it should be great.

I will post the base line dynos and all the other stuff as I get them from Top Speed. Looking foward to the project and I hope I dont bore you guys too much :) You all know I will test the hell out of this thing with the vbox, track, drag strip, and public roads when safe ;)

#6 · (Edited)
Yeah the turbos are big but I am going for big HP :) Eventually going to build the engine but going with the stock engine for the time being and doing the stand alone and all of that up front. I will be the first to let you know I have no clue when it comes to turbos or stuff like that.

I think the GT35rs are fairly popular amongst all the kits out there. Not sure what UGR is using for their stage 3 though. They did mention when we build the engine we would have to get some bigger turbos.

I decided on the stand alone because it will be a lot easier to tune and the boost by gears will help keep the car on the road.

Not really sure what I got myself into but boy will it be fun :)

#8 · (Edited)
Going to stick with stock everything except for the turbo kit and see what that is like. I am sure will get bored with that in a month and then we will build the motor, crank the boost up, build the tranny and just hang on. There are plenty people out there at 1000 whp on stock internals.... I don't know if I would push it that far on the stock engine though. Supposedly the 5.2 L engines have beefier pistons and rods but I don't want to find out how strong...

Planning on taking the car out to the Texas Mile in March for sure.

I will get all the details on what we are doing first. We may be putting in fuel rails and bigger injectors and things too at first.

#9 ·
Going to stick with stock everything except for the turbo kit and see what that is like. I am sure will get bored with that in a month and then we will build the motor, crank the boost up, build the tranny and just hang on. There are plenty people out there at 1000 whp on stock internals.... I don't know if I would push it that far on the stock engine though. Supposedly the 5.2 L engines have beefier pistons and rods but I don't want to find out how strong...

Planning on taking the car out to the Texas Mile in March for sure

I will get all the details on what we are doing first. We may be putting in fuel rails and bigger injectors and things too at first.
This is going to be a great journey for us all:

Really looking forward to all your posts along the way.

Your indepth data posts are going to fascinating.

#11 ·
Haha you guys know me too well. Probably keep that boost setting on 6 psi for about half an hour before I get that vbox out and put race gas in it.

I will be honest, the car is fast enough already. I was coming home on the interstate and I use about 40% power to pass some one. I did have a street bike mess with me but I don't think it was one of the fast ones. Would have been fun to show him some turbo power if I would have had them. I am really curious to see what it will feel like to have that much power when you go to pass someone...

I was in the market for a new car but decided the R8 was perfect. Just needed a little more power to out run the other cars on the market.

#13 ·
Just hope in your quest for power you don't blow yourself up. You sure are going to make this interesting for us to follow with how detailed you are with numbers. But I think I will stick with problem free driving for now on, am very happy with how car feels now and since I don't track it has more than enough for street. Yours will be a track beast when finished

#15 ·
Good luck Duhawk,, I know you are in good hands, top speed does excellent work!!! They did a great job on my car.

#17 ·
Sounds Awesome, always fun to hear your stories!!

#21 · (Edited)
Top Speed will post all the details with the build because lets just face it, I only know how to go fast :)

All I know is Motech stuff, Bigger fuel injectors, Garrett GT35rs, and some other things.

#23 ·
Your going to love it, I have a UGR R8 and its a monster. It's look like you live in atl, if you do I also live there, I am currently in Cali ill be back in January I would love to see your car.

#25 ·
I live in the Alpharetta area, I have a stage 2 from ugr with the stage 3 turbos, I will do the motor at some point, I also have a nissan gtr from ams, I can't wait tell I get back to meet you all, I move to atl from New Jersey and we didn't have a r8 community I am pumped about this.

#26 ·
Oh very nice. Sent you a PM. I will do the engine as well at some point if I desire more power. Decided to upgrade the fueling, motech, boost by gears and all of that up front so if I ever decide I want more power they just have to do the engine.

#27 ·
Still in the planning phase before they put everything into place for the final kit. They said it is going to be amazing. They asked me how loud I want it and I told them I want it as loud as possible but with no rasp :)

I am going to go up there Friday or Saturday and will get some pictures.

#28 ·
Just a few pics for you. Turbos are mounted :) Everything will be heat treated after they finish up getting everything together. Working on some really great things. I am very excited to say the least. Will post later when I have time for some things we are doing.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.