Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have been reading quite a few threads on here about tyre size, some of them very detailed.
I'm just looking for a fairly basic response to the question of whether my 2008 V8 with 19" OEM on stock wheels + stock mag ride, will take MPS4S:

Front: 255/35/19
Rears: 305/30/19

Will these tyres go on what I have with no rubbing and no strange camber adjustments? I think the rear should be no issue, but the front is my concern.
This is the final piece in the puzzle of sorting out this car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
There should be a lot of threads on this. The back is no issue. The front I am not sure about without a spacer. I have run 245's in the front with 19" and 20" rims without a problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There should be a lot of threads on this. The back is no issue. The front I am not sure about without a spacer. I have run 245's in the front with 19" and 20" rims without a problem.
yeah, although 255 tyres are cheaper I think I'm just going to go with 245 on the front with 305 on the back. Hopefully it won't understeer :/

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah, although 255 tyres are cheaper I think I'm just going to go with 245 on the front with 305 on the back. Hopefully it won't understeer :/
no problem with 255 35 19 on stock wheels or any other 8.5x19 unless its a very agressive offset 20 and smaller....from your profil pics thats not the case.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no problem with 255 35 19 on stock wheels or any other 8.5x19 unless its a very agressive offset 20 and smaller....from your profil pics thats not the case.
Yeah it's all stock at the moment, so I think the offset will be factory standard. This is good to know! Would you say there is a noticeable difference between the feel of 245 and 255 on the front wheels?

I'm really excited to make some tyre changes... currently have 295 / 235 P zeros on there which are quite old and the rubber is hardening up.. cannot wait to have some fresh, wider PS4S on there!!!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Yeah it's all stock at the moment, so I think the offset will be factory standard. This is good to know! Would you say there is a noticeable difference between the feel of 245 and 255 on the front wheels?

I'm really excited to make some tyre changes... currently have 295 / 235 P zeros on there which are quite old and the rubber is hardening up.. cannot wait to have some fresh, wider PS4S on there!!!!!
yes a noticeable feel, understeer is gone. Sidewall of PS4S is softer then Pirelli, you need a bit more tyre pressure to compensate that....
and don't be worried if the first 500km feel odd, the PS4S need a while to break in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes a noticeable feel, understeer is gone. Sidewall of PS4S is softer then Pirelli, you need a bit more tyre pressure to compensate that....
and don't be worried if the first 500km feel odd, the PS4S need a while to break in.
Does this cause any issues with the front diff / abs / ESP etc? It's 8.5% wider than the factory fitted 235, quite a big change?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had the PS4S fitted all round today. 245 | 305 Also had the geo done. 1.5' front camber 0 toe / 1' rear camber 8' toe.
They aren't even worn in and already the car feels SO much better! Better cornering, smoother feel, quieter. Definitely the best change made so far! Also great looks with the wider back wheels, the car looks and feels so solid now.

New TPMS sensors went in too, initially no error messages coming up, but then after 5 miles of driving or so the orange T P M S comes up on the dash. Turning car off and on there's a loud beep and a warning of 'TYRE PRESSURE SENSOR MALFUNCTION' and the TPMS light stays on. Drove 30 miles or so enjoying the new tyres are the error message still hasn't gone. Guess this means a trip to the dealer.
Very happy with the rubber though - thanks for the recommendations and advice, guys.

MPS4S.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yeah they're not a bad tyre. Why didn't you go with the 255 front?
As for the tpms don't you have the reset function in the dash menu.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah they're not a bad tyre. Why didn't you go with the 255 front?
As for the tpms don't you have the reset function in the dash menu.
Well there were 235's on there before, and from what I can see people seem to most commonly go for 245 as the upgrade option so I thought I'd test that out. But I might go up to 255 on the next set. I do have to wonder if the extra 40mm combined width on the front axle tyres is going to effect the AWD system in some way.
Anyway, so far no sign of understeer on the car with the new set-up I have :D

And yeah, appears I don't have the reset function on my car, nothing in the menu options anyway. It's a 2008 model which is probably why?

·
Registered
286 Posts
anyone able to suggest the profile for a 315 in the rear on a 19" rim? I've got the 245's in the front that came from the previous owner and 305's in the rear right now. Should I go for the 255 in the front next time around?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone able to suggest the profile for a 315 in the rear on a 19" rim? I've got the 245's in the front that came from the previous owner and 305's in the rear right now. Should I go for the 255 in the front next time around?
I'd be really interested to hear peoples views on 315 (and beyond) on the rear..
with a 305 on there the sidewall is already over the edge of the 19 11J rim as it is.
Although it might look super good, does too much sidewall 'overhang' negatively effect the performance after a point? I.e too much sidewall bulging / compressing /flexing under pressure?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'd be really interested to hear peoples views on 315 (and beyond) on the rear..
with a 305 on there the sidewall is already over the edge of the 19 11J rim as it is.
Although it might look super good, does too much sidewall 'overhang' negatively effect the performance after a point? I.e too much sidewall bulging / compressing /flexing under pressure?

I know guys on here say they're running them but they never put the profile of the tire. I know the AWD needs to be at a certain offset. I'm not doing it for the looks. Just looking for a bit more grip with a supercharged setup

·
Registered
579 Posts
I just went with 20s from a 2017 V10 Plus on my 11 Spyder. I did a ton of research on this and spoke to my local R8 tech. It is important on the Gen 1 to make sure front and rear tires are within 3% of each other. Otherwise you take a risk of damaging the AWD.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
Ya I get that part as the tire changes width the profile number needs to change as well. Say you have a 305/30/19 for a example the height of the tire would be 30% of the width. So if you upsize a tire to 315/30/19 you actually get more of a height profile to the tire even though they're both 30. I'm just looking to make sure I get the right size for my next set of tires.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts