Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EVO magazine have the R8 on the front cover ... I'm off to the newsagents to track down a copy or two ... I susggest you do likewise as they are a very fair magazine.

Cover ...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Great tip, the wifes already been dispatched to find me a copy (sounds like i'm in charge but really she was already out shopping):p

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As ever with EVO ... a well written article ... with words by; Jethro Bovingdon, and responses from; Stephen Reil (head of development for quattro GmbH) and Dirk Isgen (project leader of the R8) ... the article must carry some weight and solid credibility!

Interestingly there is a picture of the R8's main dash ... i.e. rev counter and speedo ... I say interesting because when you look at the below figures it will possibly make you think!
Photo of speedo in R8 in EVO magazine issue 098 goes up to 350kmh or 217mph
Photo of speedo in RS4 hardback book published by Audi goes up to 310kmh or 192mph
The speedo in my UK model RS4 goes up to 200mph or 322kmh​

So ... the RS4 as we know is capable of in excess of 175mph ... I'm sure I've seen a video of one on a German autobahn fitted with a GPS speed monitoring device and it was ... I think ... showing 186mph at one stage!

So ... taking that into consideration ... if an RS4 unrestricted is capable of 186mph (300kmh) with a speedo showing 200mph (322kmh) ... that means it can reach a shade over 93% of the range shown on the speedo ... please note I've taken the worst scenario of using what is likely a European RS4 and used the UK dial for calculating the percentage of range acheived ... using the European dial the percentage figure jumps to almost 95%.

Taking that line of thought ... does it mean that ... if the R8 has a speedo showing 217mph (350kmh) will it also be capable of a shade over 93% of the shown range? ... if so could it be capable of 200mph+ (322kmh+) using the same reasoning!

This may not be possible with the V8 ... unless they've changed the gearing for fifth and sixth ... but if Audi do release a bigger engine I suspect that 200mph+ (322kmh+) will be quite possible ... given a nice clear stretch of the German autobahn, or similar!

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The article also mentions the r-tronic and includes the following unedited words:
" 'R-tronic' is a development of the Gallardo's e-gear transmission. Reil promises it is smoother and quicker than the e-gear we know "
... further on the article goes on with ...
"In Sport mode, the interruption of torque is jusr 55 milliseconds"
Now, without knowing the gear change times for other r-tronic, or similar, transmissions, I can't say if this is impressive or not.

I'm not sure whether to stay with a manual ... my preferred choice in previous cars ... or make the jump to an automatic that can be manually controlled ... how nice it would be to be able to test drive both!

I suspect there will be reviews by the motoring press comparing the manual and the r-tronic ... to each other and ... to other simiar transmission cars.

*above quotes are credited to issue 098 of EVO magazine as available in the United Kingdom.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ill have to get a copy of this tomorrow, been away from the forum and so have not seen this yet.

Good work paul, look forward to meeting you on thursday.
My GF saw the mag the other day but neglected to buy it for me, so I made sure she got it yesterday.

The article is very good, and draws up the battle lines very neatly with the Carrera 4S.

Attachments

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
... ... ...
The article is very good, and draws up the battle lines very neatly with the Carrera 4S.
Indeed ... the R8's claimed figures are 0.2 sec quicker oto 62mph and 8mph faster top end.

Not sure which uses four wheel drive system is best ... I'm sure they're both excellent when driven by us mere mortals ... although I'm sure each will say their four wheel drive is better than the other.

OK, so the Prosche has an extra two 'mini' seats in the back for small children ... and is about £4,000 cheaper in the UK than the current published price for the R8.

But, overall there's probably very little to choose between either ... when all things are considered ... as with everything ... it will all be down to personal preference ... imho.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I just got EVo, nice read and well thought out.

I think even with the extra price on the R8, it wins for one simple reson.

28,000 997 last year in UK
450 R8 next year for Audi

Like my friend saud, the 911, even the new one looks just like all the others, but the R8, well it sticks out like a sore thumb, but for all the GOOD reasons, and this is from the man with a 612 Ferrari.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got EVo, nice read and well thought out.
imho ... EVO is a cracking motoring magazine ... I used to read it quite often ... but over the last year I've only brought it a couple of times ... that could change this year and next when they get to review ... and probably later compare ... the R8 with other motors.
I think even with the extra price on the R8, it wins for one simple reson.

28,000 997 last year in UK
450 R8 next year for Audi

Like my friend saud, the 911, even the new one looks just like all the others, but the R8, well it sticks out like a sore thumb, but for all the GOOD reasons,
That is one good reason ... I've never been one for a badge ... probably why the car sitting in my garage waiting for dry weather is a Honda NSX ... you can see a Porsche every day of the week if you do much driving on main roads ... you're even more likely to see (don't take this personally TTej) a Ferrari than an NSX ... which is another reason why I love it and why I'm so keen on the R8 ... exclusivity is very difficult to put a price on.
and this is from the man with a 612 Ferrari.
Nice weekend motor ... or even a daily driver ... although it wouldn't be for me ... but, that's the great thing about personal preference ... if we all liked the same thing the world would be a very boring place ... and we'd all be driving round in one of those not so rare things called a Porsche ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts