Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been horrified by the Audi AG press release noting the V10 at EUR 143,000.

Due to the crash in the value of the Pound in recent months, this is about £122,000 at today's rates - the same price as the base model Gallardo.......

Fortunately, Audi UK have a much more pragmatic view of the market, and UK pricing is now confirmed:-

£98,555 RRP (£99,575 On the road) with manual transmission.
£103,645 RRP (£104,665 On the road) with R tronic

http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/a...audi-r8-v10-ready-for-the-road-and-track.html

It seems they have also listened to all our moans about the "mean" spec for the basic V8. V10 comes with Sat Nav, B&O sound system, magnetic ride and LED head lights as standard !!

Wow !!!

For that spec, and a 3.9 seconds 0-60 mph, what possible contenders are there to match it for performance, handling and price ?????????

It will give the Porsche 911 Turbo a real run for its money.

I'll buy two !!!

I think I have to say that Audi UK have addressed most or all of our complaints about V8 pricing/spec, so very well done.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think I have to say that Audi UK have addressed most or all of our complaints about V8 pricing/spec, so very well done.

:) :) :)
My more commercial take is that they are addressing their own potential problems in respect of customer demand and sales volume :rolleyes:

I know 2 people who have had deposits on the V10 for some time but because of the current dire economic outlook both have withdrawn interest :(

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noted, but if so why EUR 143K in Germany and the rest of Europe which is also in recession ?????

BTW: Porsche have announced they are "delaying" their take over of VW due to the economic situation.

Sure, a lot of people will no longer be able to proceed with purchase, regardless of price, but just remember the number of V10's coming to UK will be small compared to the number of V8 (which in itself is small). So, I think they will still sell all they can manufacture.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not sure but I think the UK is probably the biggest market for the R8 outside of the US so they need to support it

What is interesting is that the Dealer didn't ask my pals if they wanted to proceed with the order - they simply asked if they were likely to go ahead and submit a spec. I therefore assume Audi will then technically be able to say that the orders have not actually been cancelled ? (i.e the 2 orders were not actually placed)

More interesting perhaps is the same Dealer , obviously unaware that both were friends of mine , told each of them that they were the only single incidence of "not proceeding" - clearly a mistruth !

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Not sure but I think the UK is probably the biggest market for the R8 outside of the US so they need to support it
Do you know how many R8's were sold in the UK? Just curious because for other Audi's the UK is the second biggest Audi market after Germany ... ahead of the US

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
At this price point, given all the stuff included, it's going to be hard to justify going for a v8.

Impressive that they've kept emissions and mpg around the same level despite the big power bump at 19.2 vs 19.3 mpg and 351g/km vs 349g/km.

·
Registered
482 Posts
would like to see what U.S. pricing / options / specs would be

·
Registered
943 Posts
So why would someone in Europe not just buy it in the UK? That is only $113K Euros. That is less than the V8! Doesn;t quite sound right.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
No, European price for V8 is EUR 107K, and EUR 142K for V10

In UK we drive on the right, Europe drives on the left.........

Also, don't forget the exchange rate crash. Exactly one year ago, £1 was US $2.03 and EUR 1.39.

Today it is US $1.48 and EUR 1.14, worth 20-25% less than a year ago !

Big companies fix exchange rates in advance (otherwise they would change US & UK prices on a daily basis), and the Pound is forecast to rebound to EUR 1.25-1.30 within 6 months, so the "apparently" low UK price is just down to exchange rate differences, nothing more.

Remember, US V8 price a year ago was far cheaper than ours (UK is £78K for V8, which was US$160K a year ago....)

·
Registered
347 Posts
sounds so 'affordable' compare to asian prices.

i'd wonder how audi korea will price it. KRW has weakened a lot.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Bottom lip hanging out at the mo, having got my R8 a couple of months ago, and expecting the V10 to cost around £120k.

Mine cost £87k for the manual inc. the Mag Ride and B&O system. To get a price comparison if you took off the cost of the LED lights from the cost of the V10 that would take it down to £96835 comparative cost, ie. only £10k more.

My wife would kill me, but she might not notice the difference!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike B,

Don't complain ! For the only time I can remember in the past 20 years or so, a UK car is cheaper than a European one.

Just pay the money quick, order it in the same colour, swap the reg. numbers around, and get her a pair of dark sunglasses and she won't notice..............

·
Registered
617 Posts
I received this document from my dealer this morning, according to it full specs and options next week!

Looks like I will need to confirm spec etc after Xmas to meet expected delivery of spring 2009

It has been another long wait again but I am sure it is will be worth it.

Audi R8 V10 – it’s here!
09 Dec 08
Bulletin ref: AU0428-08

Audi has taken the covers off the R8 V10. This new supercar, which promises to send shockwaves through the motoring press and fans of sports cars, will open for ordering next month.
With a 5.2-litre FSI quattro V10 engine, this latest R8 produces a massive 525PS - over 100PS more than the current 4.2-litre V8 model - rocketing the car through the 62mph barrier in just 3.9 seconds. When linked to the R tronic transmission it can touch 124mph in only 12 seconds, and in the right conditions can maintain its breathtaking momentum all the way to 196mph – an unprecedented high for a road-going Audi.
Yet emissions and fuel consumption remain close to the current R8. The new car emits 351g/km of CO2 (the 4.2 FSI emits 349g/km) and it achieves 19.2mpg (against 19.3mpg). And all this for less than £100,000 - a figure far below what has been reported on some motoring websites. The manual transmission version will have an RRP of £98,555 (£99,575 OTR) while the R tronic version will have an RRP of £103,645 (£104,665 OTR).

Race-related features – and a world first
The new 5.2-litre FSI V10 petrol engine is almost identical in construction to the unit powering the recently announced R8 LMS, which will race at customer level in the GT3 class. And by mounting it as close as possible to the centre of the R8, Audi engineers have achieved near perfect 44/56 per cent front/rear weight distribution for optimum handling. Dry sump engine lubrication - an element specifically derived from racing - also allows the V10 to be mounted as close to the road as possible, to lower the centre of gravity.
The new R8 is also the first car in the world to feature all-LED headlights. High-intensity diodes have been used for low beam and high beam headlamps, for daytime running lights and for all indicators, intensifying the car’s visual drama.
The R8 V10 will feature a host of styling differences to the current model, as well as considerably better specification. Save this bulletin to your favourites now to make sure you stay up to speed on what promises to be one of the most talked-about cars of 2009.
Click here for a technical overview >>
Click here to see new styling >>

The Audi R8 V10 at a glance
Price
• £98,555 RRP (£99,575 OTR) with manual transmission.
• £103,645 RRP (£104,665 OTR) with R tronic.
Specification - click here for more>>
• 5.2-litre V10 FSI petrol engine .
• Produces 525PS at 8,000rpm and 530Nm at 6,500rpm (R8 4.2 V8 420PS at 7,800rpm, 430Nm at 4,500rpm).
0-62mph in 3.9 seconds, top speed 196mph.
• Combines mid-engine configuration with advanced, all-aluminium Audi Space Frame (ASF) construction and quattro-permanent all-wheel-drive.
• Audi magnetic ride adaptive damping, Bang & Olufsen audio system and all-LED headlamps as standard.
Timings
• The updated price and specification guide PDF will be available early next week; in the meantime refer to the current R8 guide for option pricing.
• Open for ordering 15 January 2009.
• UK launch/first deliveries expected spring 2009.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure what to think.... after a 14 month wait for my V8 and coughing up 96k for it in October I feel a bit irritated at the "low" cost of a V10, I wonder what mine is worth against a cancelled V10 of which I'm sure there will be a few about in this financial climate (65k?):confused:
I also wonder how much the V10 "was" going to be before the so called credit crunch? If only for a crystal ball !!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Andy,

I'm sure you got your order in very early, as I did, so see you on the A1............
Hi Greg,

If I can remember correctly my deposit and confirmed letter from Audi UK for the V10 was during the summer of 2006 - so just over two years ago, mind you still half the time I waited for the V8, five years + seemed for ever.

Not much A1 but A414, I do hear people telling me that they see a sprint blue R8 in the Tesco's petrol station on the Hatfield A1 / A414 crossover.

Hope you are still enjoying it as much as I am.

This posting is now my 599 th. - does this tell me I should be considering something else ???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not sure what to think.... after a 14 month wait for my V8 and coughing up 96k for it in October I feel a bit irritated at the "low" cost of a V10, I wonder what mine is worth against a cancelled V10 of which I'm sure there will be a few about in this financial climate (65k?):confused:
I also wonder how much the V10 "was" going to be before the so called credit crunch? If only for a crystal ball !!!
In a similar position... picked up my car a month ago at just over £100k. This makes it look very poor value. I don't need the extra performance of the V10 so am in no hurry to stay ahead in the numbers game, but the likely impact on residuals is very worrying so I'll also be watching to see whether it's worth the 'upgrade'. Not that I ever believed R8 residuals would be especially strong, and with such a long list of options there was clearly going to be a significant impact the moment I drove off the forecourt. Hmmm....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The more I think about this the more irritated I become. For all of you waiting for your V10, I bet a sigh of relief was given at the modest pricing, however; what Audi has done here has effectively devalued the V8 over night by 10-15k+ :eek:
In these times if despair, even the R8 V10 has had to succumb to a price war before its officially launched, and be priced “coincidentally” almost the same as the 911 Turbo, which happens to be cluttering Porsche show rooms up & down the country and available with 10-15% discounts. I wonder how much you can get a cancelled order R8 for now?:confused:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mike B,

Don't complain ! For the only time I can remember in the past 20 years or so, a UK car is cheaper than a European one.

Just pay the money quick, order it in the same colour, swap the reg. numbers around, and get her a pair of dark sunglasses and she won't notice..............
Bang on!

Scheming has already started! I have spoken with Highland Audi.

I really don't think she would notice the flared intakes or changes to front grilles (it is kept under an indoor cover most of the time), and she definitely wouldn't notice the extra power, as she hasn't driven it that much. She still doesn't have a clue that I chipped my A3.
Do you know whether there is a V10 insignia on it?

I would be prepared to wager a small bet that she wouldn't twig it for years. Is it worth it? I think so!!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts