Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order Aug '08 & was originally advised delivery Jan/Feb '09.

However, last month I was advised by the dealership to expect delivery in Apr '09. This seemed odd as I thought in the current market waiting lists would be shortening? Has anybody else had a similar experience? Could it be that V8 production has slowed to make space for the V10? Or, could Audi actually be trying to maintain residuals? Has anybody in the UK ordered recently & got a discount?

The other thing I found odd was when I changed my colour choice from Daytona Grey to Ibis White, the dealership demanded a £10000 deposit. I had initially put down only £3000...(by the way, this was unrelated to the above mentioned delay)

·
Registered
718 Posts
You might do much better to simply buy a late used model with a few K on the clock at £60K - £65K. There are enough good used cars on the market and prices are falling.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Same thing happened to me in the US. I had a delivery date of February 2nd 2009, and yesterday I got a call telling me June 2009. I'm calling the dealership back today to let them know if it's that late then I want to go ahead and wait for the 2010. Not sure how that works though, I'm hoping the dealership understands and doesn't give me a lot of hassle about it. I had to put down $15,000 deposit when I ordered back in September, hopefully they won't threaten to keep it if I want a 2010.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If I was being told by dealers that cars orders were being canceled, and that sales were slowing, and that cars were sitting on lots unsold, what would I do??

I would slow down production, keeping demand up mking them a little tough to get.

Harley Davidson, used to say they would build one less motorcycle than they could sell.

Sales of EVERYTHING are slowing, making less cars makes sense to me.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Same thing happened to me in the US. I had a delivery date of February 2nd 2009, and yesterday I got a call telling me June 2009. I'm calling the dealership back today to let them know if it's that late then I want to go ahead and wait for the 2010. Not sure how that works though, I'm hoping the dealership understands and doesn't give me a lot of hassle about it. I had to put down $15,000 deposit when I ordered back in September, hopefully they won't threaten to keep it if I want a 2010.
did u say $15K down? Wut did you order, have them paint it in real gold?

·
Registered
485 Posts
If I was being told by dealers that cars orders were being canceled, and that sales were slowing, and that cars were sitting on lots unsold, what would I do??

I would slow down production, keeping demand up mking them a little tough to get.

Harley Davidson, used to say they would build one less motorcycle than they could sell.

Sales of EVERYTHING are slowing, making less cars makes sense to me.
Nah, they are just trying to fix the squealing brakes on all R8...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had them chrome it out like UAEPrince's friends, j/k. Looking back I should have tried to talk them down on the deposit... but I was so excited to be ordering the car that I didn't care at the time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did think about cancelling when the used values suddenly dropped just after I ordered (as usual my timing's all wrong!) but are the used prices of £60-70k really that bad against the basic price of £77k? Compares quite favourably with C4S (benchmark for sports car residuals) & much better than AMV8 or M6. All cars are depreciating assets!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealership. Now they are telling me mid March to early April 2009. The dealership said these delays are due to the V10 production. I never know what to believe anymore.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EVO magazine states that Audi expects V10 sales to account for 70% of total R8 sales this year, so maybe your dealer is right

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have it on very good authority that says EVO is wrong.

Just like when all the mags jumped the gun and published a UK price of £122K (based on German €142K), only to have the official UK price of £99K released a week later !

V10 production is limited and LESS than V8.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just got off the phone with the dealership. Now they are telling me mid March to early April 2009. The dealership said these delays are due to the V10 production. I never know what to believe anymore.
Maybe it will showed up early when more order drop off. Mine came in 7 months instead of the 1.5 to 2 yrs. Or maybe they just want to hang on to your $15K. But if you put that $15K else where, could have been gone(stock, bank...) Good luck, keep us posted. Pls do not order the brake squeal option... it is %$#@ annoying !

·
Registered
485 Posts
^^^^
sorry i'm a noob but was that sarcasm about ordering squealing brakes? who would want their brakes to squeal?
A bunch of R8(and mine) came with squealing brake on day one.... yes, that was sarcasm for any Audi rep crushing this forum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts