Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone - just joined the forum and this is my first post. Thank you all for your previous posts - I've spent hours reading through them I reckon! I'm about to spec my car (Daytona Grey, black leather, carbon blades, titanium wheels, etc) but have a couple of questions....

I've seen a few suggestions that the extended leather pack isn't really worth having for the money in the UK but haven't compared them side by side. What do you think?

Also, I went to one of the Audi track days yesterday and drove cars with both electric and manual seats. Discovered I couldn't easily adjust the seat back on a manual whilst racing ;-). Do you think electric seats are worth the £830 cost though?

Lastly, do most people go for the micrometallic grey inserts if (like me) the carbon interior looks pricey?

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you are going to race the car you want to limit weight as much as possible, i.e. not have electrical seats.

Also alcantara is less slippery than leather, which again helps on the track.

After considering everything I ended up ordering the leather/alcantara interior (standard in Germany) and I'm very pleased with it. I may or may not have a good upholstery shop cover some more interior parts in alcantara, which would definitely look stunning but probably be less maintenance-friendly, but my interior looks as good or better than any other R8 interior I have seen.

I'm not a great admirer of carbon fiber and the micrometallic inserts look great in a low-key way.

Just to put that remark about low-key in perspective - we have just come back from our honeymoon with the R8 (I had the car shipped to Gibraltar, then drove to Granada, Carthagena, Valencia, Arles, Antibes, Monaco and Belgium, around 3,500 km alltogether) and it attacted crowds everywhere and litterally hundreds of pictures were taken of it. There is no need to add anything to an R8 for it to be spectacular.

·
Registered
347 Posts
i have the carbon stuff. it's nice but if i didn't get the cf i would get the leather. i love leather and to me those plastic part (whatever high tech name they tried tocall it) feels cheap.

·
Registered
485 Posts
If you are going to race the car you want to limit weight as much as possible, i.e. not have electrical seats.

Also alcantara is less slippery than leather, which again helps on the track.

After considering everything I ended up ordering the leather/alcantara interior (standard in Germany) and I'm very pleased with it. I may or may not have a good upholstery shop cover some more interior parts in alcantara, which would definitely look stunning but probably be less maintenance-friendly, but my interior looks as good or better than any other R8 interior I have seen.

I'm not a great admirer of carbon fiber and the micrometallic inserts look great in a low-key way.

Just to put that remark about low-key in perspective - we have just come back from our honeymoon with the R8 (I had the car shipped to Gibraltar, then drove to Granada, Carthagena, Valencia, Arles, Antibes, Monaco and Belgium, around 3,500 km alltogether) and it attacted crowds everywhere and litterally hundreds of pictures were taken of it. There is no need to add anything to an R8 for it to be spectacular.
Hi Do you mind to post some pictures of the light gray interior? All the R8 I have seen so far is with black leather. Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi everyone - just joined the forum and this is my first post. Thank you all for your previous posts - I've spent hours reading through them I reckon! I'm about to spec my car (Daytona Grey, black leather, carbon blades, titanium wheels, etc) but have a couple of questions....

Thanks!
Titanuim wheels is a new option for US, do you know where I can see what that look like? Thanks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hi Do you mind to post some pictures of the light gray interior? All the R8 I have seen so far is with black leather. Thanks
There you go.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I specced carbon interior - but to be honest if I had my time again I wouldn't bother as the trim around the satnav isn't carbon fiber anyway.

The alcantara headlining is a must with alcantara seats imo otherwise the seats look a bit lost with nothing else in that material. I do wish they had extended alcantara to the doorcards

·
Registered
193 Posts
The alcantara headlining is a must with alcantara seats imo otherwise the seats look a bit lost with nothing else in that material. I do wish they had extended alcantara to the doorcards
True. On the other hand the standard headlining is easier to clean, and I have a 9 year old who tends to put his paws everywhere...

I am guessing that a good upholstery shop will charge less than Audi for an alcantara headlining, and obviously having them cover the doorcards with alcantara isn't a big deal, so the only limitation is your imagination.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has anyone with a light grey interior put (say) 1000+ miles on their car? I went to one of the Audi driving experience track days earlier in the week and noticed that (I think without exception) the light grey interiors were showing signs of marking after just a few hundred miles (albeit probably mostly on the track with guest drivers). It's making me think seriously about switching to a black interior (maybe with the alcantara seat centres and headlining, but trying to keep the car below £100k!).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Has anyone with a light grey interior put (say) 1000+ miles on their car? I went to one of the Audi driving experience track days earlier in the week and noticed that (I think without exception) the light grey interiors were showing signs of marking after just a few hundred miles (albeit probably mostly on the track with guest drivers). It's making me think seriously about switching to a black interior (maybe with the alcantara seat centres and headlining, but trying to keep the car below £100k!).
I have.

I'm just back from a long trip and the car looks a mess. It has 12,340 km (7,667 mi) but once I will have cleaned it it will look just fine. I have been using leather glazing on the more exposed parts of the leather, which I guess helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just did 1,500 miles in my brand new Daytona R8 over a weekend, and there are a few marks on the seats, but nothing that a quick wash won't fix. I kept dithering over the decision, but I must say I like the Pale Grey now - it's certainly a lighter place to sit than in an all black car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts