Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UK Based. Budget circa £40,000

Would like a Manual Audi R8 v8 Manual, preferably with Carbon Side Blade and B&O.

Colour isn't too much or an issue. Clean example with Excellent history.

·
Premium Member
3,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Welcome!

I've been scouring the market for the last 3-4 months and finally pulled the trigger on a white Gen 1 V8 manual with all the right options and 51k miles last month, they are well worth the wait and so nice to drive!!

I think a budget of £40k is more than reasonable, I would expect to get a well specced, decent miles, 5-7 owner car easily with that budget! Let us know if you find any contender or if you snap one up!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome!

I've been scouring the market for the last 3-4 months and finally pulled the trigger on a white Gen 1 V8 manual with all the right options and 51k miles last month, they are well worth the wait and so nice to drive!!

I think a budget of £40k is more than reasonable, I would expect to get a well specced, decent miles, 5-7 owner car easily with that budget! Let us know if you find any contender or if you snap one up!
Thanks Vish!

Glad you found the right one! White with Carbon Side Blades is top on my list. I'm not a car mechanic/expert so how did you make sure the car you bought was in good shape? Did you get a PPI?

My only worry is that I spend £40,000 thinking I'm getting a "better" maintained car, and then find it needs work doing to it, when I could have spent £35,000 on something similar.

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Thanks Vish!

Glad you found the right one! White with Carbon Side Blades is top on my list. I'm not a car mechanic/expert so how did you make sure the car you bought was in good shape? Did you get a PPI?

My only worry is that I spend £40,000 thinking I'm getting a "better" maintained car, and then find it needs work doing to it, when I could have spent £35,000 on something similar.
Yes white was my number 1 color too! I wanted carbon side blades, but the previous owner had fitted the more aggressive V10 side blades in gloss black, so I was happy to settle for gloss black.

Myself and my friend are pretty mechanical minded, do all our own servicing, brakes, suspension work (to an extent), so were happy to do our own viewing. Also, it was bought from a trader, so some level of protection there.

I would recommend a PPI if you aren't happy/confident to buy with your own inspection. I took mine for an MOT the following week and it came back with no advisories so I was happy I hadn't missed anything obvious. As for other things, I plan on getting a full health check in the coming weeks for peace of mind. But she runs, drives, pulls and handles spot on etc, so hoping we didn't miss anything!

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Yes I saw that one. Very rare color and looks to have all the right spec (except heated seats, that is a deal breaker for a lot of people). I would of expected it to be listed around £39k with those miles.

The MOT history comes up clean too. I suspect a viewing is needed to see if its tired/haggard, has poor SH, or lots of owners etc. Bit of a minefield this type of car. Could easily of been passed through 3-4 owners in the last 24 months all of which have used and abused, really need to go and view, get a feel for the car, and read every single piece of paper in the paperwork.

It may well be a great genuine car priced sensibly for a quick sale.

With mine, we spent he best part of 30+ mins reading everything in date order and got a really good feel for how the car had been looked after. If I showed up and it had 8 owners, a stamped up book and a just a few useless invoices like tyres and bulbs, I'd of walked away personally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes white was my number 1 color too! I wanted carbon side blades, but the previous owner had fitted the more aggressive V10 side blades in gloss black, so I was happy to settle for gloss black.

Myself and my friend are pretty mechanical minded, do all our own servicing, brakes, suspension work (to an extent), so were happy to do our own viewing. Also, it was bought from a trader, so some level of protection there.

I would recommend a PPI if you aren't happy/confident to buy with your own inspection. I took mine for an MOT the following week and it came back with no advisories so I was happy I hadn't missed anything obvious. As for other things, I plan on getting a full health check in the coming weeks for peace of mind. But she runs, drives, pulls and handles spot on etc, so hoping we didn't miss anything!
Exactly you have to compromise with a few features, but wouldn't mind a similar spec to yours!

Yeah unfortunately I don't have anyone to rely on in my friendship circle (all finance people!), I did contact Ricky from REPerformance too for some advice. I will get a PPI done by the RAC, as the dealers won't let the car offsite to be taken to Audi for a PPI.

I'm hoping to spend around £36,000 - £38,000 ideally with the possibility of having to spend £2,000 to £5,000 on advisories.

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Exactly you have to compromise with a few features, but wouldn't mind a similar spec to yours!

Yeah unfortunately I don't have anyone to rely on in my friendship circle (all finance people!), I did contact Ricky from REPerformance too for some advice. I will get a PPI done by the RAC, as the dealers won't let the car offsite to be taken to Audi for a PPI.

I'm hoping to spend around £36,000 - £38,000 ideally with the possibility of having to spend £2,000 to £5,000 on advisories.
Yeah sometimes compromise is needed! And I must admit that does sound fishy, I understand not letting you disappear with it to let someone go at it. But they should be happy to accommodate taking the car to a trust dealer, and bringing it back.

Yes that was my plan. Top line budget of £40k, anything less is money for mods/maintenance etc.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I saw that one. Very rare color and looks to have all the right spec (except heated seats, that is a deal breaker for a lot of people). I would of expected it to be listed around £39k with those miles.

The MOT history comes up clean too. I suspect a viewing is needed to see if its tired/haggard, has poor SH, or lots of owners etc. Bit of a minefield this type of car. Could easily of been passed through 3-4 owners in the last 24 months all of which have used and abused, really need to go and view, get a feel for the car, and read every single piece of paper in the paperwork.

It may well be a great genuine car priced sensibly for a quick sale.

With mine, we spent he best part of 30+ mins reading everything in date order and got a really good feel for how the car had been looked after. If I showed up and it had 8 owners, a stamped up book and a just a few useless invoices like tyres and bulbs, I'd of walked away personally.
Yeah sometimes compromise is needed! And I must admit that does sound fishy, I understand not letting you disappear with it to let someone go at it. But they should be happy to accommodate taking the car to a trust dealer, and bringing it back.

Yes that was my plan. Top line budget of £40k, anything less is money for mods/maintenance etc.
Though I have contacted 3 dealers and they're happy to have PPI onsite, but none of them will take it to an Audi Dealership.

I think, I will contact that Blue R8, having no heated seats is very strange, but not the worse thing in the world. I wonder if they would be willing to send over service history over email or do they want you to go view the car and only show those documents in hand?

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Though I have contacted 3 dealers and they're happy to have PPI onsite, but none of them will take it to an Audi Dealership.

I think, I will contact that Blue R8, having no heated seats is very strange, but not the worse thing in the world. I wonder if they would be willing to send over service history over email or do they want you to go view the car and only show those documents in hand?
Yeah sadly with it being an entry price supercar, everything was an option it seems! Cruise control, heated seats, mag ride, bluetooth phone, aux (think it became standard in 2009), B&O etc!

It can't hurt to ask. If its a big file, they might not want to spend time scanning/photographing 50+ pages, but worth asking. It's good to see how accommodating and helpful a dealer is if you are genuine about the car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah sadly with it being an entry price supercar, everything was an option it seems! Cruise control, heated seats, mag ride, bluetooth phone, aux (think it became standard in 2009), B&O etc!

It can't hurt to ask. If its a big file, they might not want to spend time scanning/photographing 50+ pages, but worth asking. It's good to see how accommodating and helpful a dealer is if you are genuine about the car.
Most of the cars I've seen come with at least B&O, Mag Ride and Heated seats, just not a fan of the silver side blade at all. Would you recommend getting a PPI done before even making the journey to see the car? Especially if it's lets say a 6 hour round trip?

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Most of the cars I've seen come with at least B&O, Mag Ride and Heated seats, just not a fan of the silver side blade at all. Would you recommend getting a PPI done before even making the journey to see the car? Especially if it's lets say a 6 hour round trip?
Yeah I have seen a few very basic spec ones which I suspect will be for sale a while and be hard to shift.

As for recommendation, that's really a decision you'll have to take. Mine was a 8hr 370 mile round trip. Personally I would want to view the car, test drive it and inspect the history, then maybe agree a price, pending the outcome of a PPI. But thats just my view. I'd rather be happy with the car then get it inspected, rather than get it inspected then not be happy when going to see it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah I have seen a few very basic spec ones which I suspect will be for sale a while and be hard to shift.

As for recommendation, that's really a decision you'll have to take. Mine was a 8hr 370 mile round trip. Personally I would want to view the car, test drive it and inspect the history, then maybe agree a price, pending the outcome of a PPI. But thats just my view. I'd rather be happy with the car then get it inspected, rather than get it inspected then not be happy when going to see it.
Exactly, Ricky from REPerformance says it's a buyers market currently, did you say it took you around 3-4 months looking before you purchased? I'm quite inpatient which isn't a good trait!

You're right though, I should make the effort to visit the car, I've never actually driven an R8, coming from an Merc A45 would be interesting to see the comparison!

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Exactly, Ricky from REPerformance says it's a buyers market currently, did you say it took you around 3-4 months looking before you purchased? I'm quite inpatient which isn't a good trait!

You're right though, I should make the effort to visit the car, I've never actually driven an R8, coming from an Merc A45 would be interesting to see the comparison!
Yeah I would agree with Ricky, it does seem a buyers market currently, especially for cars like the Gen 1 V8 manuals, very small market already, made smaller by the pandemic!

I was looking most days for 3-4 months. I wasn't actually ready to buy until April though, so my hands were tied!

And yes I'm the same, never driven or sat in one before buying mine! I've not been in an A45 but have been in my friends CLA45, and that thing was a monster, the R8 is rather different, to his CLA. The way the wall of torque rolled in when it hit boost was neck breaking! The R8 is much more like other N/As I've driven, very linear and smooth and theres little to no left off as you get to the top end, if anything, it feels like it's got more to give!

One thing to note, and it is well documented, they are noisy and clunky. It is a super car after all. When doing low speed tight manoeuvres, you will hear all sorts of creeks and rubs etc, when those big wide tyres and limited slip diffs are fighting each other etc. Known as the ackerman effect, so don't panic when you first experience it 😂

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I would agree with Ricky, it does seem a buyers market currently, especially for cars like the Gen 1 V8 manuals, very small market already, made smaller by the pandemic!

I was looking most days for 3-4 months. I wasn't actually ready to buy until April though, so my hands were tied!

And yes I'm the same, never driven or sat in one before buying mine! I've not been in an A45 but have been in my friends CLA45, and that thing was a monster, the R8 is rather different, to his CLA. The way the wall of torque rolled in when it hit boost was neck breaking! The R8 is much more like other N/As I've driven, very linear and smooth and theres little to no left off as you get to the top end, if anything, it feels like it's got more to give!

One thing to note, and it is well documented, they are noisy and clunky. It is a super car after all. When doing low speed tight manoeuvres, you will hear all sorts of creeks and rubs etc, when those big wide tyres and limited slip diffs are fighting each other etc. Known as the ackerman effect, so don't panic when you first experience it 😂
I'm constantly refreshing the pages haha, to see if anything new hits the market.

I knew it will be a completely different drive to my A45, as you're right just waiting for the turbo to kick in after a few seconds and then you're planted back in the seat! I'm hoping I will like the way the Audi R8 feels to drive and won't be put off after having a turbo charged car. Hopefully it will feel more refined, as the A45 is a bit jerky.

Okay, I will look out for those noises, however even my A45 had little creaks and noises!

·
Registered
64 Posts

Sorry I'm a little confused. The term 'buyer's market" implies supply exceeds demand i.e. it should be very easy to locate a car. Is there a shortage of used R8 inventory in the UK and, if so, wouldn't that be a "seller's market"?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry I'm a little confused. The term 'buyer's market" implies supply exceeds demand i.e. it should be very easy to locate a car. Is there a shortage of used R8 inventory in the UK and, if so, wouldn't that be a "seller's market"?
Yes I believe Vish got slightly mixed up. I would say that it's definitely a buyers market for Gen 1 R Tronics, plenty of them on for sale. But in general seems to be a fair amount of R8's on sale at one time.

·
Registered
White V8 Manual
35 Posts
Sorry yes I misspoke! I did mean sellers market.

There are very few low-mile low-owner examples currently for sale. All I would say is try your best to take your time. I suspect re-sell will be a long game, and personally I believe (and hope) that the lower miles/owners v8 manuals are and will continue to appreciate. If you can get one with decent miles, exemplary maintenance records and good condition and spec, I think you're in good odds of it appreciating.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts