Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Approx. 4 months ago I put myself on the waiting list for the R8. At the time my dealer told me to expect delivery no earlier then March depending on when they received their first allocation for the new year. I spent a reasonable amount of time w/ my dealer speccing my car and going through all the various options. I was totally accepting of the fact that I probably would not receive my car until April at the very earliest. That is, until my dealer called me yesterday morning and said they had a brand new R8 in stock, with the exact colors, and specifications that I ordered.

HOLY [email protected]#[email protected]#[email protected]@!#@##%#$

Apparently the fellow who ordered the car ended up getting another exotic car instead leaving the dealer stuck with a Ice Silver Metallic car w/ painted black side blades. I made all the financial arrangements, and went down to the dealer this morning to pick up my car. As everyone on this board with a car has already indicated, this car is a fighter jet on wheels. It is absolutely gorgeous in person, and it drives like a dream. Coming from a M3, this car is on a completely different level.

First day driving impressions: I put around 110 miles on my car today (couldn't resist!), with a mix of city driving, and high speed (90 mph+) highway driving. The first thing I noticed is the grip. Even in a downpour, this car stays completely glued to the road. I tried to get it in a little bit of trouble with some rapid fire turns, and I just couldn't do it w/ traction control on. Second thing I noticed is the pickup/acceleration. Again, my previous car was a 04 M3, so it was wonderful feeling the g-forces in action when you slam on the gas and jet in the R8. The third thing I paid attention to is the engine sound. Why the hell would you want a stereo installed in this car? It sounds absolutely ridiculous. Just imagine a really angry bear growling at you like you stole its dinner, and you will get the right idea.

And probably the most startling realization: This is totally a car my fiance can drive. In fact, she will probably like driving it more then the M3. If you tool around it in gently, it is very docile, and respectable. Oh and I totally disagree with anyone who has a problem with the R-Tronic. It is a phenomenal transmission, and I am very happy that I got my car with it.

Stay tuned for photos, and more impressions as I gobble up more miles with the MIG err.. R8 :)

PS: My car did NOT have a IPOD connector. I have been paying attention to all the posts about week 50 this and week 50 that. Either my car was produced before week 50, or this is a red herring. My dealer said that he does not believe the R8 will have a IPOD connector for the foreseeable future. While this is a disappointment, especially for someone in the music business, I will just keep the disc changer full, some memory cards on hand, and enjoy the sound of the fighter jet w/ after burners ON.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Time to change your signature....

I think week 50 is around 14th Dec - yours was definitely built before that.

Have a great drive

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congrats!! Have fun (and drive safe)!!

While you are lucky, I will have to keep waiting. I am soooo jealous now!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Unbelievably lucky!!!
Any chance you could give me some numbers for tomorrows Lotto draw please!!
Enjoy your new beast.

·
Registered
274 Posts
have to say that i laughed too loud with your bear analogy!!
and cant wait to see the pics-
congrats!!

The third thing I paid attention to is the engine sound. Why the hell would you want a stereo installed in this car? It sounds absolutely ridiculous. Just imagine a really angry bear growling at you like you stole its dinner, and you will get the right idea.

----

Stay tuned for photos, and more impressions as I gobble up more miles with the MIG err.. R8 :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Congrats ~ !! Hey, 800 ~ !! Do you think your R8 and mine are on the same shipment? It would be cool if it was. Can't wait till March....

·
Registered
347 Posts
I think they are on the same shipment. Possibly with other R8's. I am planning to take a day off for a drive!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I must say you are one lucky SOB......:D

Just kidding but getting the car so early is unbelievable. I placed the order about a month before you and I was told that it may come at the end of March (if lucky) but possibly sometime in May.

Regarding your iPod dilemma, go check out www.dension.com. They have a kit that it fully compatible with your HU (I was told that the it is in fact the Audi OEM cable). I have it installed in my previous RS4 which ran the same HU and it worked with no problem at all.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Congrats 800 I got mine two weeks ago, and haven't stopped smiling since:D.
Totally agree with your first impressions. The car is schitzophrenic, drive it gently and my granny could take it to the shops. Sink the boot and it is like a ballistic missile!!:eek: For me , the great thing is that after such a long wait there is no sense of anticlimax or dissapointment. The R8 just DELIVERS !! ENJOY!:D :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts