Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While there have been various previous discussions about Dynamic Steering on the R8, there does not seem to be any discussion about the new availability on Dynamic Steering on Rwd R8s for model year 2022. I wonder if we might explore some new or undiscussed topics.

While we cannot be sure, it would make sense that the Dynamic Steering made available by Audi for the 2022 Rwd car is an updated or improved version of the system tailored specifically for the handling dynamics of the Rwd car. Just an inference here. If anyone has any hard information on that, please share.

I would like to ask owners of 2022 Rwd cars having Dynamic Steering, and those who have driven the same, for input on the following items:

1) I cannot find any Audi literature to confirm previous claims that the Dynamic Steering variable ratio is decoupled in Dynamic mode and switches to a fixed ratio. While this would make sense, it seems to be folklore without any references. I am wondering how folks came to make that claim in previous discussions. Any comment here?
2) Continuing from (1), can you please comment on the steering feel in all modes -- both on the straights and in the twisties?
3) There has been a comparison between "Power Steering Plus" offered by Porsche and Audi's Dynamic Steering, which I think is spurious, simplistic, and incorrect. There's no way Porsche would charge only $270 for a complex system such as Audi's Dynamic Steering which consists of an electric motor and a set of dedicated gears which are used to vary the steering ratio. Porsche's Power Steering Plus simply uses software to alter the amount of resistance (or assistance) to steering input. With all this being said: does anyone have any concerns about the reliability or repair/ replacement burdens possibly imposed by the Dynamic Steering system several years ahead? If indeed the R8 is a "keeper" due to the V10 extinction, I am wondering why the reliability/wear and tear subject has not been discussed previously.
4) Are you happy with the Dynamic Steering option, or do you agree with commentary in pre-facelift Gen2 discussions that it disturbs the linearity of the steering feel and sort of "does too much?" I am particularly interested since, as alluded to previously, Audi may have tweaked the system for the 2022 debut in the Rwd cars. It might be a significantly better system than the ones previously implemented.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have Canadien 22’ RWD Spider coming in june. It says on my build sheet that there is the Dynamic Steering that comes standard equipment. Will update when I get it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts