Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
* Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread url, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!​

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can login, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let use know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

A few of the new features that were added includes:
• Completely replacing the PM system with one that better matches what members see in the desktop version.
• A pull-to-refresh functionality has been added on all appropriate pages in addition to the refresh already available in the overflow menu.
• A new scrolling feature has been added so that if the user starts scrolling the screen prior to an auto-scroll happening (like moving to a post per the current read position), the auto-scroll is cancelled so the user is not fighting with it.
• There is now a font size preview in the Font Size settings page so the members would know what to expect.
• Sticky topics can now be hidden from within the page where they are being viewed
• The vote count on poll results has been animated to count up along with the bar graph animations that were already present.

Now on to some of the fixes we that have implemented:
• After sharing a photo from the media viewer, the user will not be returned to the media viewer instead of the topic.
• PMs will now be correctly marked as viewed and word-wrapped.
• The forum will now work with iOS Safari if the user had opted to block all cookies.
• Double-tapping buttons or links will no longer cause functionality to execute twice.
• The text in the header is now re-sizing correctly when members are scrolling through the page or opening the side menu.

Please give this newly improved version of the mobile view a try and feel free to let us know what you think in the feedback thread.

**Please let us know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thank you.

·
Registered
946 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Confusing how? How does it look when you access it?
KN Community Support
I just figured out it displays the exact same thing as the Forum link (http://www.r8talk.com/forums/) does.

I have to check the "Request desktop site" checkbox every time, in order to get it to display all the newest threads like it's supposed to.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Here's the screenshot. You can also see how 50% of the screen is taken up by graphical elements reminding me I'm on the Audi R8talk forums. Seems a little excessive.

Also, on my Android phone and PC running Chrome, the "upload image from your computer" form hides the OK/Cancel buttons immediately after displaying them. I'm certain it didn't do this before. (The "upload images from a URL" form shows those buttons fine.)

Chrome on the Android 4.4.2 when viewing the New Posts page

·
Administrator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello,

Could you please let us know what mobile device you are currently using? Maybe we can procure a similar model and test this out.

Thank you for the help.

~KM, community support

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Dear Administrator,

The main problem with most smartphone views and mobile views are that they have the same usability flaw in them. This flaw is the disabling of the "Pinch to Zoom" feature. Mobile views on small screens need the pinch to zoom even more than a desktop or a laptop view.

The second problem are "floating elements" on small screens that stay in focus when the screen scrolls. They constantly move to stay focused, and therefore constantly block the reading content below them. It's like watching a movie in a cinema with someone tall in the front seat. You keep adjusting your position to see around them but every time you do, they move and block you again.

I see the merits of webpage formatting for small screen mobile devices but it should be a choice for mobile devices rather than a default page on load. If a user deems they want a mobile view, then let them enable it from a button at the top or bottom of the page. If they see the option but don't enable it, it's very likely that they want to full webpage with pinch to zoom.

Sorry for the rant but please do not default R8talk to a mobile view every time we visit from a mobile device. Make it a choice to enable the smartphone/mobile view, not force it on us. Mobile browsers are so full featured on modern devices now that a mobile view is seldom needed for all contents to be displayed correctly.

Device - iPhone 6 (4.7")

Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
946 Posts
I agree with HowieR8. I can see very little information on the screen in the mobile view, which is pretty maddening to use. The horizontal page slider with pulsating "1 of 78" position indicator is distracting and in the way.

I dive for the "request desktop site" checkbox in my browser every single time I come here now.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Utahphunk, Since we complained about the smartphone/mobile view being the default view on small screen devices, it has now been permanently ENABLED and using the "request desktop site" doesn't work anymore. It just reloads the same smartphone/mobile view! :mad:

There is a way to PERMANENTLY bypass this smartphone view here and all mobile sites, if you so wish, by using iCabMobile browser from an Apple device. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,521 Posts
Dont like the smartphone view at all.
Makes it very difficult to respond to PMs through a mobile device.
A real pain to use.

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Agreed Osman, smartphone/mobile views are a pain to use. It's very likely a lot of the new web designers are younger and have 20/20 vision so micro millimeter fonts are legible to them. Unfortunately, the R8 members might not have such perfect vision.

It seems the demographic user profile is not taken into consideration enough in web design. Granted there are many young R8 owners here with excellent vision but I'm willing to bet that the average age of the R8 members on this forum tend to be above the median age with less than stellar eyesight.

After all, the R8 is not exactly the first car one gets when one is old enough to earn a driving license. Well, at least I wasn't that lucky!

The Administrators asked for our feedback, so here it is:

1. Enable Pinch to Zoom. (Example of it being done right for a smartphone view: Gizmodo.com)
2. Disable smartphone view as default for mobile devices and make it an option instead.
3. Eliminate the floating elements that constantly move to block content.
4. Allow users to "Request Desktop Site" and not force us to use only the smartphone/mobile view.

Maybe we should do a poll to see how many members want the standard desktop view and those that want the smartphone view? This might give the Admins the feedback they need to improve on the design and features of this excellent forum.

Cheers,
Howard

·
Administrator
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello HowieR8,

I will forward your suggestions to the development team. Could you please provide me with your device model, system it is running on and the browser you use? This way I can forward the feedback with the device where these issues are visible on.

Thank you very much for the help.

~KM, community support

·
Premium Member
3,333 Posts
Dear Admin,

Thank you for looking into the suggestions. My device is:

iPhone 6 (4.7")
IOS - 8.1
Safari Browser
iCabMobile Browser

Cheers,
Howard

·
Registered
946 Posts
Utahphunk, Since we complained about the smartphone/mobile view being the default view on small screen devices, it has now been permanently ENABLED and using the "request desktop site" doesn't work anymore. It just reloads the same smartphone/mobile view!
"Request desktop site" still works for me. I still have to check it every time I visit these forums, but it works as it should.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts