1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The damned V10's tempting me.

No, make that taunting me...

I'm thinking about ordering this:

V10 w/the M6 transmission. (yes I'm happy with the tickle stick not the R-tronic setup)

Sepang blue with the limestone gray (to match my '03 RS6) with all the carbon fiber goodies (probably including a couple PPI trim rings that Audi doesn't have, but OEM carries) available along with my carbon R8 logo and rings.

I'd have to toss the Dymags from my present V8 on it too. I'd order it with titanium finish stockers and hope to find winter sneakers for them.

Of course all the chrome would have to come off too.

The only real change I'd want over my present R8 would be the Alcantera headliner. I'm pretty much happy with everything else.

Build time, if ordered now is 8 months to a year!

I'll have another 20 - 24K miles on mine by then, so it may just be the perfect timing.

Is it wrong to dream?
Should I pull the trigger and just order the thing?
Arrrggghhh!!! This indecision crap's killing me! LOL!

Oh - want to do a European delivery too. It's been a while since I was in Europe and a nice little jaunt down some of those fabulous roads would be grand!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I am going thru the same TRAUMA myself as per thread "V10 MANUAL TEST".

My practical side keeps saying to me..is some extra horsepower worth it??.My non rational side is saying do it do it.

I think SRF8 in his comments are very relevant as per below

"gazza, I would not upgrade to a V10 because the only difference is the additional power, everything else (handling, look, interior, etc) feels the same. That does not create enough of a new car feel and in a couple of months it won't feel that much different from your current R8. I would spend the money on a "different" car"

I am hoping all the mods I am putting into my current car will keep me intact..and I will put the V10 money into purchasing another toy to have alongside the V8.

**** life is hard.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Sorry but this has to be the funniest thing I've heard. You have a R8 V8 and want a V10 and life's hard. lol ...
It is very tongue in cheek...

I count my blessings everyday.LOL

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
How does the EU delivery work? pick it up there, arrange for it to be flown (or boated) back to the states?

·
Registered
761 Posts
How does the EU delivery work? pick it up there, arrange for it to be flown (or boated) back to the states?
I am pretty sure it's similar with Audi.

Usually for 2 people:

- Welcoming to Audi Factory
- Your car is in a special delivery show room (usually on a spinning stand)
- Factory/Museum tour (with lots of Audi branded goodies)
- 15 days EU license permit (with possible extension for extra $)
- drop off (mostly) anywhere in Europe
- shipped back to your country on boat (air is way too costly); takes 2 weeks

It's actually an great experience if one has the time. We did it with our slk55.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am pretty sure it's similar with Audi.

Usually for 2 people:

- Welcoming to Audi Factory
- Your car is in a special delivery show room (usually on a spinning stand)
- Factory/Museum tour (with lots of Audi branded goodies)
- 15 days EU license permit (with possible extension for extra $)
- drop off (mostly) anywhere in Europe
- shipped back to your country on boat (air is way too costly); takes 2 weeks

It's actually an great experience if one has the time. We did it with our slk55.
Why do I see myself and my Fiance sitting in the car, while it's spinning on one of these stands, proceeding to turn a nice shade of green yelling "Make it stop!, MAKE IT STOP!"? (in case nobody's noticed, I tend to see the world through a completely different type of face shield (I prefer orange tinted on my helmet!) than the majority of people)

A buddy of mine did European delivery a few years back with a friend that purchased a Porsche (993 I believe). Said it was a killer time and he had a blast.

Last time I was in Europe, we did a ski trip to Austria and got to play in an A4. It topped out at 116 with two idiots in the front (me being one of them) and all our ski gear in the boot.

Top end went up about 10 mph when we dumped half our crew in Munich and then proceeded on down to Lucern in Switzerland.

What a blast!

We still wonder what the yellow, very low EXTREMELY fast vehicle that passed us in the rain one night was. Wasn't a Lambo or Ferrari, but something along that line and was traveling at least 80 to 100 mph faster than we were going. No clue what it was.

I want to be that car! - just blue... :D

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Looks like a lot of us have the V10 bug. I have been looking as well.

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Build time, if ordered now is 8 months to a year!
European delivery sounds cool. How does that work precisely? You see your car come off the line, sign some papers, and drive it around Germany for a day or so? Then they box it up and you pick it up at the dealer like normal a month or so later?

Anyway, I though this thread was about delivery time? 8 months sounds pretty good to me. I called the MI dealerships and all of them were 18-36 months out. Sounds like I have more calls to make.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I think SRF8 in his comments are very relevant as per below
"gazza, I would not upgrade to a V10 because the only difference is the additional power, everything else (handling, look, interior, etc) feels the same. That does not create enough of a new car feel and in a couple of months it won't feel that much different from your current R8. I would spend the money on a "different" car"
I agree with this.. my personal favorite would be a late model Superleggera - for less than a new R8 V10 - but I sure wouldn't take it to places I take the R8! So MANY more cars to consider when you get into a new V10 price range.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As much as you guys say there are other cars, and yes I know this, the only other car that even remotely peaks my interest is an old McLaren F1. (and maybe the last year model of the Lotus Turbo Esprit) Like either of these could be used daily, though? Nah.

I wasn't in the market for a "super car" or exotic when I purchased my present R8 - Hell I was replacing that *&#)[email protected]#%(()&^^^ pile of **** Porsche Cayenne Turbo that I hated so much.

I just happened to fall into a vehicle that does it for me better than anything else I've ever had the pleasure to see, ride in, drive, etc. Yea, the R8 is exactly what I enjoy.

I see other exotics and think "Eh, it's nice, but I'm happy here in this thing."

Exotic car, killer performance (that of course can be modded), easy to drive as an every day vehicle, yet will knock your socks off and scare the passenger if you'd like. (I try not to scare anyone, though as I despise being scared w/someone else driving)

Veyron would be fun, but I don't have a spare 1.7 million to throw at a car.

The Lambos are nice, but the idea of hopping in one here in Ohio and ending up in Las Vegas, Phoenix, LA or the likes is just not something I'd like to try.

Ferraris just don't do much for me (sorry to those that this line offends - it's not meant to).

Nissan GTR's interesting but pretty darn ugly.

Not a Porsche around that floats my boat other than an old 928 GTS: enjoyed mine immensely, but don't miss it one bit. It spent a lot of time in the shop - as I was warned it would.

The little Lotus Elise would be fun - but I want to keep my back in one piece and drive it daily.

The idea of upgrading to a V10 is intriguing, yet the money spent, the money I'd lose on selling my present R8 (I paid a premium at the time of purchase - you did or you didn't end up with a set of R8 keys in your pocket.) and such add up so that a change over isn't worth it financially.

I took a pretty serious hit on the P.O.S. Cayenne so one shot in the pocket book surrounding this car's enough for me at present.

If I keep my head on straight and don't let my passion get in the way I'd really be best off just adding a couple things I wish I had:
Interior: Alcantera headliner which is available from OEMPlus, maybe the c/f vents, to satisfy my carbon fetish, that are mentioned in another thread and an IPhone adapter to replace the useless cell phone tray in the center console.

Exterior - I guess I could go off the deep end and get it painted blue. Always been a sucker for a good deep sapphire metallic - Rich from OEM's pictures just made me drool!

But would it be worth the money, effort and down time? Probably not.

Engine - VF's supercharger has me very curios and interested. The quality and attention to detail work that appears to have been done would seem second to none - maybe MTM could be close but it's, what, twice the money of anyone else's system?

The PES setup is just damned ugly. They can't even get their logo on the casting oriented correctly and I've heard too many bad things about their systems.

I have issues with non-steel braided, hose clamped lines on a system that costs as much too. Are they kidding? Any of the lines that are visible (and those that aren't but are integral for the system) should be stainless braided line with screw on fittings such as Earl's or some of the new stuff that's being seen in the desert racing circles - once again, all screw on fittings, lines that are covered and protected.

If nothing else for aesthetics that are worthy of the R8's engine compartment...

I also don't want to have to deal with the ethanol/water injection system that the PES runs. (or so I understand - may be way off?)

Take a look at the two systems and tell me which one would appear to be designed for the R8 and which one looks like a back yard add on:

VF - clean, elegant and nice to look at. I would like a closer picture of the throttle body area and wonder if the OEM cover could be adapted so it fit in it's place.

or

PES - egad!
One picture says it all.

Maybe this could work in the convertible where you can't see the engine, but I sure wouldn't want anyone looking into the engine bay and seeing this mess.

I'll probably be best off just hanging on to my present V8 and continuing to enjoy it as much as I have for the past 32,000 miles and 15 months.

Upgrades would be easy and relatively inexpensive, comparatively.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Veyron would be fun, but I don't have a spare 1.7 million to throw at a car.
I've heard that Bugatti decides whether to sell you a Veyron or not, what is this decision based on? And you need to sign a contract and part of it is about only being allowed to sell the car back to Bugatti not to anyone/anywhere else, is this true?

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
man KfabR8 right effin' on with that post! I agree with EVERYTHING from other supercars (porsche and ferrari especially) not piquing my interest. GTR - butt ugly. Lambo, nice, but would stick out in a negative way I think.

I also agree that PES should have made their kit look better. I'm not opposed to a targa or supercharged R8 in the future tho.

btw, I did see a picture of the VF kit with the little r8 cover back on so it didn't look as bad.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
man KfabR8 right effin' on with that post! I agree with EVERYTHING from other supercars (porsche and ferrari especially) not piquing my interest. GTR - butt ugly. Lambo, nice, but would stick out in a negative way I think.

I also agree that PES should have made their kit look better. I'm not opposed to a targa or supercharged R8 in the future tho.

btw, I did see a picture of the VF kit with the little r8 cover back on so it didn't look as bad.

I bought a Butt Ugly(so christened)today to join my R8 in the garage.

I have put enough war and peaces on this forum about ..do i buy a V10?

One thing is for sure though..once I walked out the dealership today all my torment has dissipated re the V10.

I know I definitely have my horsepower rush if i need it!!

Now with the pressure removed I can watch and wait to see what evolves with clubsports,convertibles and ex demo V10's next year.

Vf..how much?

Agree with Ferrari comment..maybe i just didn't get it!! when I had a F430 weekend.. as for the Lambo what can I say.For all the faults I found with my Superlegga weekend I totally fell for this car.The drama,the engine,the theater of it all..a real super muscle car.Just really HATED e gear

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
...good decision .A Nissan GTR AND an R8 V 8 is better than SOLELY AN R8 V 10 under the big top .( I haven't even sat in a GTR. !!!) .Maybe a GTR with the front wheel drive DISengaged would be the ULTIMATE corner to corner !! :) The GTR IS probably a superior machine. It costs half as much too !!! JUST DOESN"T HAVE THE LOOK !!!!!!!!!!!!!! You MAY go UNNOTICED in the GTR which may be a good thing !!!

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Why wait? There are brand new V10's being offered on Ebay at MSRP.
Been there, done that. My V8 came off of E-bay. Was a Houston dealership sale - I went directly to the dealership instead of screwing with E-bay.

That said, if I decide that I want a V10, I want it EXACTLY how I want it, not how someone else did or how the dealership ordered it (which would be black on black with an R-tronic - why oh why does EVERY dealership think this is what everyone wants???).

I have yet to see a blue w/limestone and all carbon (and a manual tranny). Besides that if I order one I want European delivery. I mean if I'm going to wait eight months to a year for a very specific car, I may as well make the most of it, eh?

I can deal w/o having the instant gratification that society seems to push so much. The wait can make it so much more worth it if you're willing to sit back and let the time run by.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts