Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick poll of US owners:

How many of you have signed a 12 month first right of refusal in favor of your dealer at the time that you purchased your R8?

I am picking mine up this month and this issue arose. I have asked this question previously and only 1 US purchaser signed a first right of refusal.

Although I have no intention of selling my R8 within 12 months I do not want to provide any rights to my dealer to purchase my car at the original price when I have the intention of adding significant value to the car thru new exhaust, paint shield, tinting, built in radar and so on.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I didn't, but I'd probably do it. I have no problem with selling the car for what I paid, especially with how much I drive it. Besides, you aren't obligated to sell to them, they simply have the right to buy it first at market value.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
actually the first right of refusal is NOT a market value (which I would have absolutely no problem with) but is at the MSRP and therefore excludes any market premium as well as the cost of any aftermarket add-ons.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Never signed it, just on principle--I also realize their is no economical/reasonable way to inforce it if signed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Got mine for MSRP because I deposited and got a P.O. for 'msrp at the time of delivery'. Waited 13 months and the dealer (University Audi in Seattle) was extremely pissed when delivery came and he had to honor the P.O. (The HORROR, the HORROR...). Actually it was a lot more like a kicking and screaming kindergarden scene, but I left smiling. :D

Although there was media coverage regarding the 'first right of refusal' I think they realized that it wasn't even worth mentioning.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting update. Picked up my R8 and dealer forgot to ask me to sign any first right of refusal or the customary affidavit of non-export. Anyone in Europe, Asia or Middle East want a 2009 R8? Kidding, I love it already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my R8 because the person holding the original order defaulted when he had to sign the FRR. A small price to pay for having one of the earliest R8s delivered in the east ( Sept 17)

Based on the number of resale R8s that appear on EBAY, i would expect that only a small number of dealers applied the FRR. I've also been told that in some states FRRs are not valid. On the other hand i would not want to be a resale buyer and find out after i'ved commenced an R8 purchase that a dealer is going to enforce the FRR. This could get messy. Resale buyers need to be aware of this issue and should confirm with the original dealer the existence/absence of the FRR.

·
Registered
347 Posts
FRR? Pls enlighten me. I am not so good with acrnyms.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wolfie,

I picked mine up yesterday.
Nothing of the like there. One of the service tech's mentioned, they had 1st right to purchase back within 6 months.
However, no discussion or paperwork followed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts