Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that the US Nav will not work in Europe no matter which DVD's you have?

I'm sitting in class right now and was speaking with someone who is an engineer who works on nav systems for various cars, including Audi, and he said that the US system will not work in Europe due to differences in AM/FM frequency tuning modules.

It's understandable that EU and US frequency spectrums aren't exactly the same, but I thought it was a bit odd that the units would be produced with two different tuning modules and not just use firmware/software to adjust the settings.

I honestly just figured a EU DVD swap would do the job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i think it would work
it's like saying will our radio with AM/FM work in EUROPE...

i'm pretty sure all you need to do is change the cd...it's all satellite based..
unless u're watching/ using US tv because in the US we're still at analog and they are at digital assuming it's terrestial tv not cable or satellite ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I took european delivery of my R8 and the nav system on my US spec car did not work. Audi gave me tom-tom nav system which worked great. I still have it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took european delivery of my R8 and the nav system on my US spec car did not work. Audi gave me tom-tom nav system which worked great. I still have it.

what the hell??
that is odd...i guess the engineer is right...:(
what did the the navi say?
did it just give you an error message?
also did you try inserting the EURO cd ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I've forgotten what the Nav screen said. I was not offered european CD for the system... just the Tom Tom unit. The radio worked fine though.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I called Audi of America and they are getting more information and will be getting in touch with me again next week.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can anyone confirm that the US Nav will not work in Europe no matter which DVD's you have?

I'm sitting in class right now and was speaking with someone who is an engineer who works on nav systems for various cars, including Audi, and he said that the US system will not work in Europe due to differences in AM/FM frequency tuning modules.

It's understandable that EU and US frequency spectrums aren't exactly the same, but I thought it was a bit odd that the units would be produced with two different tuning modules and not just use firmware/software to adjust the settings.

I honestly just figured a EU DVD swap would do the job.
The R8 fleet that Audi brought to Las Vegas were euro spec vehicles, but they all had a navigation system that had a US map for our use. I just
presumed they put a US nav disc in it to make it work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts