Audi R8 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
If that cabin has air in it other than what came from the factory, it's a hard pass for me. :)

But in all seriousness, that's not far off from where I'd be if buying second hand. A large number of people seem to like modifying their cars, but the vast majority also want to buy a stock one. It's a bit ironic, but that's how it seems to go.

For me, I think I'd look at modifications in a few camps:

Exterior Aesthetic Modifications
I tend to like simplicity in design, so I'm not the guy to add lips, wings, body kits, extra carbon bits, etc. I can appreciate some of these (when done tastefully), but it's not for me. Even simple things, like wheels or even badges, I just like them stock. Part of this, for me, is that aesthetically modified cars feel/appear more "used" to me for some reason.

Mechanical Modifications
If (a) the modification was done to solve a known mechanical issue, (b) it was done in a way that's widely accepted by the community, and (c) it was carried out by a trusted party (e.g., mechanic), I'd tend to look at these modifications as beneficial and valuable. For example, someone upgrading a coolant tank on the R8 so it doesn't run the risk of exploding? That's probably a good thing.

Now, if the mechanical modification is purely for the pleasure of the owner - especially in the camp of "performance upgrades" (TT, supercharger, ECU tunes, etc.) - I think these are red flags. Whether true or not, it's going to send signals that the car was driven hard and therefore potentially more "worn."

Electronics Modifications
I know many people just want the latest and greatest technology, but stuff like after-market head units and swapped speakers are a turn-off, too. Not only do the vast majority of these units not fit-in with the interior design, but more than a few people do poor jobs installing them - cutting wires, creating phantom power drains on the battery, etc. I'll gladly deal with old, stock technology that looks the part but doesn't give me the latest tech... after all, every few years it'll be the same problem.

In short, if I were a secondary market buyer, nearly all modifications, short of those done for mechanical sorting, would be a turn-off. A high quality exhaust, or high quality suspension upgrade (if not seeking mag-ride, let's say), would probably be a few exceptions to the rule here.

· Registered
204 Posts
I always buy used, relatively new and still under manufacturers warranty which restricts what most people have done.
I would love to buy an R8 with Ohlins suspension and uprated ICE, Audi OE sports exhaust plenty good for me but ideally with Akrapovic tips.
Things like a wrap, lowered, extra body work conjours up horrible thoughts who owned it previously.....sorry.

· Registered
89 Posts
I'm curious what the age is of everyone saying they want stock only cars vs modded with stock parts. Also, how much do you drive your cars? Are they bought more to keep nice and get the most money when you want to sell it later, or are they driven more than once a month?

I'd think anyone wanting to buy this car would do enough research to know most if not all coilovers are better than the stock mag rides in terms of longevity. If someone turned down buying my car cause I replaced leaky magrides with Ohlins I'd walk away happy and feeling like they don't deserve the car anyways.

I tried to buy a supercharged one in houston back in 2018, but the owner missed the appointment for the PPI I set up at a local performance shop. That was a big red flag for me. If you're not willing to spend 1 hour of your time to let the car get inspected, when I'm paying for it, probably best I walk away. Other than that if the car comes with mods that can be reversed, stock parts to do so, and the PPI says the engine is in good shape, I'm in.

That said, I also try to find the car I'm interested in buying on Instagram and web forums to see if the previous owner is a car show attender who babies it, or a wanna be drift king who trashes and dumps his rides often.

· Registered
327 Posts
I get really turned off by cars with extra dirt added to the interior. To me, that suggests how the owner treats the car. There have been few R8's on BaT that the sellers didn't even bother to vaccum the floor mats. I mean spend a few hundred dollars and get the car detailed. You'll get it all back.

Reactions: ExpertRanch

· Registered
1,871 Posts
Major mods including airride, ugly wheels and body mods, light interior, automatics, beatup panels and interior, high miles (50k+) and sonoma orange

· Registered
2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (ghost pepper ) picking up 2017 Audi r8 v10 plus
68 Posts
I get really turned off by cars with extra dirt added to the interior. To me, that suggests how the owner treats the car. There have been few R8's on BaT that the sellers didn't even bother to vaccum the floor mats. I mean spend a few hundred dollars and get the car detailed. You'll get it all back.
Yes you’re right !!! My daily beaters dirty from my kids lol . But if I’m going to sell my ride it’s gotta be detailed !!!!

· Registered
507 Posts
Red flag: wrap and not knowing the conditionof the paint job beneath it, wild aftermarket body kits which would not allow you to back to stock, wild aftermarket paint jobs.

Preferences: needs oem factory carbon fiber inside and out.

· Registered
2,208 Posts
I'm curious what the age is of everyone saying they want stock only cars vs modded with stock parts. Also, how much do you drive your cars? Are they bought more to keep nice and get the most money when you want to sell it later, or are they driven more than once a month?

I'd think anyone wanting to buy this car would do enough research to know most if not all coilovers are better than the stock mag rides in terms of longevity. If someone turned down buying my car cause I replaced leaky magrides with Ohlins I'd walk away happy and feeling like they don't deserve the car anyways.

I tried to buy a supercharged one in houston back in 2018, but the owner missed the appointment for the PPI I set up at a local performance shop. That was a big red flag for me. If you're not willing to spend 1 hour of your time to let the car get inspected, when I'm paying for it, probably best I walk away. Other than that if the car comes with mods that can be reversed, stock parts to do so, and the PPI says the engine is in good shape, I'm in.

That said, I also try to find the car I'm interested in buying on Instagram and web forums to see if the previous owner is a car show attender who babies it, or a wanna be drift king who trashes and dumps his rides often.
How old are you?
Im 53

· Registered
19 Posts
I can agree with you guys thats why I kept my car completely stock only 2 days after purchase 🤣🤣
LOL this guy! 🤣🤣I have a few parts that I am already adding from Matt!

For me, it was a combination of things I look for before buying. Also this wasn't my first modified purchase and I am a gear head so I pull motors because it is fun.

1. Miles driven within reason.
2. Launches recorded via vagcom (along with miles on all controllers that match the cars actual mileage).
3. CarFax report.
4. PPI from an independent shop from the seller.
5. Video of the car in super slow (so I can see all blemishes if not buying in person), all sides, underside, inside, etc. I look for rock chips, windshield chips, headlight dings, door dings, front of the car chips especially on the edges of the panels, rock pick-up behind the wheels, and any back bumper deposits.
6. Video of the car running and driving.
7. Modifications to the engine.
8. Modifications to the interior.
9. Modifications to the exterior body, tasteful modifications.
10. Tune on the car (known tuner like APR vs random independent tuned shop).

I would say ask a mechanic buddy to bring VCDS and do a PPI and you'll be fine.

· Registered
19 Posts

I am a baby at 29. There are certain cars I would buy and mod, others never unless completely necessary if OEM parts are unavailable. For example a 964 is great just as is, it's not fast but who cares, its a fun car and a beauty. I drive my cars a bunch but I don't daily to an office so it keeps my miles down. I buy forever because I want my kids down the road to learn driving a manual when those things won't exist. No idea how having kids with a V10+ will go over. LOL.

· Premium Member
610 Posts
Nothing is a deal breaker for me if the car is a “good deal” in my opinion. I prefer mods as I like the extra “touches” as long as it’s done right. I can fix almost anything and work on all my cars, so nothing scares me.

The only thing that, I guess, I would pass on is if there was rust or some major body issues. I can’t work on that no matter how many times I tried. I just suck at body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 49 Posts