Audi R8 Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2011 R8 Spyder V10
111 Posts
I am going to assume the younger generation are the ones ok with mods, I am 37 and would rather buy a modded car vs bone stock and I daily my R8. I have a feeling its the older community not comfortable with buying a modded car, as they are probably going to keep it stock anyways and not drive it a lot.

· Registered
V10 Plus DCT Ice Silver
86 Posts
I am going to assume the younger generation are the ones ok with mods, I am 37 and would rather buy a modded car vs bone stock and I daily my R8. I have a feeling its the older community not comfortable with buying a modded car, as they are probably going to keep it stock anyways and not drive it a lot.
I'm 52 and bought a 1200HP 911 Turbo.

I think the key thing here is modded or not. If you like the car, get it checked out for the mods at least. We all love a high spec car that comes with a clean PPI or warranty, if it has a few 100 hp over standard then as long as it was done by a top tuner ( why wouldn't you) then its probably worth considering. If my stock plus was remapped by Ricky and had a nice expensive exhaust,.....surely that would be a bonus. :)

· Registered
2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (ghost pepper ) picking up 2017 Audi r8 v10 plus
68 Posts
Nothing is a deal breaker for me if the car is a “good deal” in my opinion. I prefer mods as I like the extra “touches” as long as it’s done right. I can fix almost anything and work on all my cars, so nothing scares me.

The only thing that, I guess, I would pass on is if there was rust or some major body issues. I can’t work on that no matter how many times I tried. I just suck at body work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Rust too me it’s a dead car 🥺 no rust then rest easy to fix

· Premium Member
6,111 Posts
I'm in my early 40's - no mods here. Moreover, I've always been this way - would have given you the same answer at 25.

I think it's more about personality than age. I lightly modded my first BMW out of college... but that was about it. Even my daily drivers have remained fully stock since.

· Registered
14 Posts
I am also okay with tasteful mods that I would have done myself in the future (exhaust, replaced parts that are known to fail, etc). That being said, red flags would be lack of maintenance records/proof of work done themselves, a wrap without pictures of the paint before it was covered, owners oral history of the car not matching the records by a large margin (not everything gets recorded into carfax as we all know), and perhaps excessive body damage (a scuff here and there is acceptable and somewhat expected if there car is being driven on the regular)

· Registered
3 Posts
The R8 has to have an aftermaken exhaust imo, so when other criteria was met and I found one with a Capristo, that sealed the deal.
I wish I bought my car with a Capristo Exhaust!! Cost me $15k for mine (with tune)...but the best exhaust for R8s in my opnion especially if valved!!
$12k for new Air Compressor and 1K for Expansion Tank - Finally enjoying the car now :)
Ooops forgot to mention I tripped and fell on my rear tail light and cracked it - $1.4k, and now I have to install it !! more $$$$ :(

· Registered
89 Posts
How old are you?
Im 53
45. was just curious if those of us who grew up modifying imports in the late 90s and early 2000s were less averse to purchasing modded cars cause it was nearly impossible to find a fun car that was stock back then. Or if the problem is just the desire to retain the highest possible retail value cause people don't plan to keep the car. I've never sold a car I bought for myself - lost one to a wreck thanks to the ex-wife, another to the divorce, but still have the other 4. 1 ridiculously heavily modified, 1 moderately modified with all bolt ons, Audi with very minor mods, and an old BMW 335 I recently picked up and plan to build this summer. So have never had an issue making them exactly how I want them, and while I haven't bought a modded car I have tried to without issue

I'd suspect at this price point most modifications would be pretty decent and installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Not a lot of stuff you can buy at autozone for this car.

· Registered
1,367 Posts
45. was just curious if those of us who grew up modifying imports in the late 90s and early 2000s were less averse to purchasing modded cars cause it was nearly impossible to find a fun car that was stock back then. Or if the problem is just the desire to retain the highest possible retail value cause people don't plan to keep the car. I've never sold a car I bought for myself - lost one to a wreck thanks to the ex-wife, another to the divorce, but still have the other 4. 1 ridiculously heavily modified, 1 moderately modified with all bolt ons, Audi with very minor mods, and an old BMW 335 I recently picked up and plan to build this summer. So have never had an issue making them exactly how I want them, and while I haven't bought a modded car I have tried to without issue

I'd suspect at this price point most modifications would be pretty decent and installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Not a lot of stuff you can buy at autozone for this car.
I think anti-mods falls into a few categories:

1. State like California does not pass SMOG
2. Have resale always in mind
3. Non DIYer or Non Mechanic intimidated by the implications and having to rely on others to tune or modify.
4. A purist

41 - 49 of 49 Posts