Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I'm sold - I want one..:)

Now the harder decision is - this being my 1st - should I get a used 08 or a new V10?..if it's a choce between an 09 or 10 model I will just get the newer one..

Here is some background info:

I currently drive a Vette (had a few) - Have never owned a car in the class or price range of the R8..I drive mainly in the city and would put on I'd say about 15.000 miles on the R8 - I live in Canada so with the R8 being all wheel drive I will likely drive it more in winter than I would the vette...I want an automatic so R tronic it will be..

I'm wrestling with the added power of the V10..I see many comment here saying the R8 is perhaps a little underpowered, however I dont know if and when I would ever use the extra power..when I step on it, with the stock Vette she moves..

In the overall long term scheme of things I dont think spending the extra money on a new one would hurt me financially - I could keep the car a long time but wonder if I would want a change in a few years in which case the used one just makes more sense..

so I would appreciate some feedback which could help me decide..

Thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
If there is a faster one available, the lower modelled will always be described as underpowered. Anything low 4s to 60, and 10s to 100 is fast enough for the road in my book. The V8 is also a proven package, the V10 less so. And it's lighter. You can see where I'm going with this!

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
you could always buy a used v8 then buy a used v10 later on - letting other people take the depreciation hammering and giving you the fun of getting used to both cars.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The V10 is about 1 second faster on the 0-60 than the V8 so far as I can see... and that's with a professionally trained driver. I can't see the average guy in city driving being able to see a discernable difference. The cars are strikingly similar in appearance and only the few of us in this forum might be able to see the difference. I can't see it being worth the extra $50k or more. The state of the worldwide economy makes me believe the V8 will hold a higher % of its value than the V10. This is not the difference between a Q7 with the 6 cylinder vs the 8. In that case, the difference is clear and obvious and the extra money is well spent. Plus, as mentioned and not to be taken lightly, the 4.2 is a tried and tested engine.

From my point of view, buy the V8, take the savings and buy a cool, old vette stingray.

·
Registered
494 Posts
As much as I am tempted by the V10, I too wonder how I would use it? I already find the V8 to be way too much car for pretty much any situation I have ever encountered. Part of me says that I want to have the very best, but I have a hard time justifying the extra cost when pretty much all of my driving is on the street.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I can't see the average guy in city driving being able to see a discernable difference.
dunno - I can certainly feel the difference in grunt on the roll between the r8 and the 500bhp v10 m6 I had before. Hard to think the v10 r8 isn't going to be another step forward from that.

Plus, as mentioned and not to be taken lightly, the 4.2 is a tried and tested engine.
the v10 isn't a brand new engine - the core parts have been out there in the gallardo and the r8 is a detuned version of that engine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My advice would be to test drive, or at least get a ride in both. It may be tough to find a dealer with a demo car (V10) available, however, if you have the patience you could wait until someone local to you picks up a V10. That way you can see if the $50kUSD difference is worth it to YOU. You can really only rely on second hand opinions so much... Good luck! I wish I had your decision to make:)

·
Registered
190 Posts
My advice would be to test drive, or at least get a ride in both. It may be tough to find a dealer with a demo car (V10) available, however, if you have the patience you could wait until someone local to you picks up a V10. That way you can see if the $50kUSD difference is worth it to YOU. You can really only rely on second hand opinions so much... Good luck! I wish I had your decision to make:)
Touche.... every decision in life should be so difficult!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses..

Well I made my decision too... (drum roll please)

Today I am proud to say I have joined the R8 party !!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I bought an '08 R8 from a dealer - It's silver with black carbon blades, and is pretty much how I would have ordered one too..

I took it out for a little spin and tried out the R Tronic and manual paddle shifting - this type of automatic was completely new to me but kind of neat in a way..

They were flexible on the price and I made an offer which they accepted and the deal was done..

I'll pick it up Friday..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for the responses..

Well I made my decision too... (drum roll please)

Today I am proud to say I have joined the R8 party !!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I bought an '08 R8 from a dealer - It's silver with black carbon blades, and is pretty much how I would have ordered one too..

I took it out for a little spin and tried out the R Tronic and manual paddle shifting - this type of automatic was completely new to me but kind of neat in a way..

They were flexible on the price and I made an offer which they accepted and the deal was done..

I'll pick it up Friday..
congrats on your purchase Keyser! may i ask why you have to wait til Friday to pick it up if car was already there at dealer?

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
congrats on your purchase Keyser! may i ask why you have to wait til Friday to pick it up if car was already there at dealer?
Thanks!

few reasons - I added the Stoneguard protection plus Boomerang coverage and I need to remove the JVC head unit from the Vette..It's a multichannel deck that plays DVD-Audio discs..

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Just curiou:Ds...which state is the dealer in ? Have fun and keep your eyes peeled 'cuz you might experience the unusual,unless you are a movie star and used to flashbulb camaras going off! Could make you think you just got a photo speed ticket too !

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just curiou:Ds...which state is the dealer in ? Have fun and keep your eyes peeled 'cuz you might experience the unusual,unless you are a movie star and used to flashbulb camaras going off! Could make you think you just got a photo speed ticket too !
no State - Province actually - Ontario in Toronto..

You have to be careful to not get speeding tickets - here we have this dumb law where if you go 50Kms (~ 30 MPH) over the speed limit, it is called 'street racing', and if caught they yank your car on the spot and impound it for a week, and a huge fine.. it's so easy to creep up to be 50 kms over the limit on open highways..

·
Registered
482 Posts
congrats. You'll smile everytime you get into the cockpit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the R8 family. I think you made the right choice. Buying a V10 would be nice, but the power of the V8 is enough for anyone driving around in a city on a daily basis (trust me - it's what I do every day) Still get the attention in the V8 (all good) and it is an awesome car. Plus you won't lose a load of cash in depreciation

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the R8 family. I think you made the right choice. Buying a V10 would be nice, but the power of the V8 is enough for anyone driving around in a city on a daily basis (trust me - it's what I do every day) Still get the attention in the V8 (all good) and it is an awesome car. Plus you won't lose a load of cash in depreciation
Thanks - I'm very pleased with the depreciation savings too - the original owner took a real beating on it.. Really the best way to buy a car - my vette I bought it used - 3 years old with a total of 15,000 miles - stored in a garage - looked spanking brand new, and I paid about 1/2 the price of a new one..now have 45,000 miles and never had a thing go wrong - just change the oil when she tells me too..

If I fall in love with the R8, then I'll be looking for a used V10 in 2-3 years..

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
If I fall in love with the R8, then I'll be looking for a used V10 in 2-3 years..

Maybe. Most think that the V10 will rapidly drop in value, but I am not so sure. Given the early praise it has gotten and it's rarity, I think it's depreciation curve will be closer to the FordGT than the P cars. It depends somewhat on how much they decide to charge. If it starts too high there will be depreciation, which seems to have momentum once underway. Also, if many of them are used as daily drivers, they will certainly depreciate significantly and drag the low mileage cars with them.

I have been trying to decide between the two R8s as you have. When I put myself on the list the base price was expected to be about 135k USD. Now that we are looking at probably 170 - 190, it's a tougher choice for me. There is a chance it will be more like 150-170k. If it is it may hold at close to that price for a few years.

Hmm. I guess what I am really saying is that I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Enjoy your R8.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe. Most think that the V10 will rapidly drop in value, but I am not so sure. Given the early praise it has gotten and it's rarity, I think it's depreciation curve will be closer to the FordGT than the P cars. It depends somewhat on how much they decide to charge. If it starts too high there will be depreciation, which seems to have momentum once underway. Also, if many of them are used as daily drivers, they will certainly depreciate significantly and drag the low mileage cars with them.
I don't see the V10 dropping rapidly either - the V10 is a major upgrade and the %increase in the base price is IMO pretty reasonable - as the price rises the rate of depreciation should remain fairly consistant and this will help keep resale prices of V8's pretty stable - the V8's should depreciate now at a slower rate simply because the V10 have gone up..

In talking to a few dealers about the V10, they are starting to get a sizeable number of 'interested' people - of course the numbers will fall off when decision time comes, but I would guestimate it will be 18 months before we get thru the interested lists and you can order and get one in a normal 3 month window..

My guess here is that in 2-3 years, I'll be able to buy a nice V10 for around 60% of the then current price..

I have been trying to decide between the two R8s as you have. When I put myself on the list the base price was expected to be about 135k USD. Now that we are looking at probably 170 - 190, it's a tougher choice for me. There is a chance it will be more like 150-170k. If it is it may hold at close to that price for a few years.
Do you own one now and debating whether to upgrade or a 1st timer like me?

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
I drive a 4.2L S4, and have never even sat in an R8. I have been on the list for the V10 since the rumors started about 15 months ago and put in my order monday. It was a tough choice for me, and I may still change it if they set the price too high. Both cars seem great, but if I am going to lay out 6 figures on a car I would like to upgrade both the chassis and the engine.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
congrats on having an order in..odds are good you will be one of the initial US owners..

You have more patience than me - 15 months plus another 6 or so to go...wow..

think if I waited all this time I would want the new V10 then..

let us know how it goes -

I really dont think there is a bad choice between new and
used on a car like this..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts