Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new Autoweek 2007 buyers guide yesterday. They list for 2007 the new Audi R8 with both a V-8 and V-10. Plus, they stated a specific 480 hp rating on the V-10.

Does anyone know where this specific information about the V-10 and power output comes from??? The hp rating doesn't match any other Audi (S8 or S6) or the Lamborgini.

Are they just guessing or is this actual information? Also, no specific time about the V-10 is listed, just 2007. Any ideas or information?

Mark

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just got the new Autoweek 2007 buyers guide yesterday. They list for 2007 the new Audi R8 with both a V-8 and V-10. Plus, they stated a specific 480 hp rating on the V-10.

Does anyone know where this specific information about the V-10 and power output comes from??? The hp rating doesn't match any other Audi (S8 or S6) or the Lamborgini.

Are they just guessing or is this actual information? Also, no specific time about the V-10 is listed, just 2007. Any ideas or information?

Mark
This is just ... imho ... but ...

I think the motoring press are jumping to conclusions ... albeit being based on educated guess work.

Also ... take into consideration how tight lipped Audi are still being about any information relating to the R8 ... be it confirming the power of the V8 being released in the first models ... which there is still speculation and conjecture about ... I can't see as how "reliable" the information currently being put about in the motoring press actually is.

If I am able to ask any of the Audi peeps ... at the UK Unveil in London this Thursday ... about the V10 ... I will ... but don't expect them to confirm anything to a prospective customer when even their dealerships don't know for certain.

Having spoken with my dealer several times this month ... he stated during the last phone call .. .after being called by on of the heads of the R8 teams in the UK to ask who I was ... that I almost certainly knew more about the R8 than he did ... my dealer, not the R8 bod.

So ... I'd take most things you read in the motoring press with a pinch of salt regarding the R8 ... unless it's from the reporter talking to someone from Audi ... like the EVO article referred to in another thread on this site.

However ... I do think that it's inevitable that there will be different and ... in all likelyhood ... more powerful engines put in the R8 after the V8 that will appear in the first models has been out for a while.

But, when these new engined R8s will be driven out of showrooms in the hands of a customer ... well, probably not for twelve months ... maybe not till 2008.

As I pointed out at the top of my post ... everything above is just ... imho.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Mark ... not knowing what country you are in ... could you tell me what country you brought your copy of ... "Autoweek 2007 buyers guide" ... thanks.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i think that any info is all guess work, Audi are very good at keeping quiet. If they put a V10 in the car and its a big IF it will not be for a long time and something would have to be done with the lambo, probably a new engine for them. I think your safe with the V8 for a while yet.

Get out and enjoy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paul and TTej,

Thanks for the reply. It may well be that that is the case. Someone speculating about it with perhaps some hinted information, but nothing official.

It was just surprising to "find" information in a magazine first rather than on the internet. However, it came from Autoweek here in the US.

Autoweek (if you are not familiar with it), as in the name is a weekly magazine and is therefore very up to date.

http://www.autoweek.com

It was in the '07 ULTIMATE CAR, TRUCK AND SPORT/UTE BUYERS GUIDE pictured on the home page (with the red 599GTB) and came packaged with this weeks issue showing the '08 Nissan GT-R, '09 Mercedes SL Gullwing, and the '09 BMW Z9 on the cover.

I live in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, about 60 mi (100 km) from New Orleans. I'm first on the list for the car at my dealer, but would perfer the V10 depending on delivery. I have a 997s that I'll keep until the R8.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Thanks for the update Mark ... yes, its always nice to see things in print, especially when its in reputable publications ... and thanks for the link and issue details ... I'll have to have a read when I get a few minutes ... cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts