Audi R8 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone managed to get V-Max in 6th? Mine topped out in 5th...

·
Registered
943 Posts
So... what happened when you shifted to 6th? What RPM were you at in 6th, and what happened with the pedal held down? Electronics cut you off and limit revs?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, flat out in 6th was lower VMax than flat out in 5th.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
No, flat out in 6th was lower VMax than flat out in 5th.
so you reached red-line in 5th, or the rev limiter.....and at what speed?

and you shifted into 6th.......and your initial engagement rpm in 6th was?

and, if I'm understanding you correctly, you were NOT ABLE TO MAINTAIN those revs in 6th, even with w.o.t., and thus your speed dropped?

I'd love to have you fill in those numbers. But, if that's the correct understanding of your experience, based on the road tests I've read, I would say that you've got a high speed intake-air or fuel restriction, or SOMETHING....

because most all the road tests I've read (mind you I don't have a car yet) describe the car as "still pulling" after the shift into 6th, though admittedly in a leisurely way; in fact some reviewers have said they thought 6th was TOO HIGH a (numeric ratio), ie: too "LOW a gear" for quiet freeway cruising @ 70
(2400 rpm, i.i.r.c.) but must have been selected to achieve a high top in 6th (by being able to out-pull the air resistance @ 150+ rather than just hold speed).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a derestricted RS4 Cab, same running gear, and it still pulls in 6th, so far been up to 185mph on th clock in it, dont think it has any more legs though after this,I have 170 ish in 5th

Going to add an R8 to the collection shortly

In my GT3 I have hit 205mph on the clock, 195 GPS on the way to the ring in Germay

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
I had to shift to 6th to hit 181. I don't recall when I shifted from 5th mph wise, but it pulled red-line, I found 6th and continued my forward progress.

I was on the way to the claimed 189 until the V1 gave me a beep. Can you say BRAKE HARD??? - and it ended up being a "Junk" report from the V1. ****.

Traffic about three miles ahead (only takes a minute to get there at 180) also was a major concern. Didn't want to be near anyone during that "let's just see what she'll do" run.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
:eek::eek::eek:

This is when you wish you were never born. Thank God it was a false alarm. :)
Yea, it pretty much scared the **** out of me. I immediately envisioned wearing those nice little shiny silver bracelets that have the chain between them that our friendly Mr. Funspoiler likes to hand out. (which, thus far, have never been issued to me.)

I must say I was extremely impressed with the brake's ability at that moment. The car went from 181 mph to about 80 mph in what seemed to be about 100 feet.

This little 'using of the brakes' also showed the design flaw of the cup holders. A 3/4 full, medium sized, coffee cup doesn't stay put, but continues at 181 mph right into the passenger's foot well. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
My worry about being dragged away from my car in chains is what those tow guys do to the car when they impound it! I'd be happy if they drove it to impound since dragging it from the front would rip the hell out of the back end. The R8 really needs to be flat bedded......but once you're in chains, you might not get much chance to open your mouth....at least voluntarily! :)

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, it pretty much scared the **** out of me. I immediately envisioned wearing those nice little shiny silver bracelets that have the chain between them that our friendly Mr. Funspoiler likes to hand out. (which, thus far, have never been issued to me.)

I must say I was extremely impressed with the brake's ability at that moment. The car went from 181 mph to about 80 mph in what seemed to be about 100 feet.

This little 'using of the brakes' also showed the design flaw of the cup holders. A 3/4 full, medium sized, coffee cup doesn't stay put, but continues at 181 mph right into the passenger's foot well. :rolleyes:
Sorry mate, but coffee, cupholders, 181mph and emergency braking did make me laugh. They are pretty useless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts