Audi R8 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been keeping a eye on gen 2 v10 plus as prices are falling quicker than I anticipated, but a few gen 1 V10 manuals have caught my eye as the prices are ridiculous for what they are. They are going for bmw 1M money in the uk.

I wanted to avoid gen 1 as I’ve read the horror stories about engine out for a a/c fix, but this is not the case with the V10. I also think a V10 manual would not lose much where gen 2 are still in free fall.

Taking everything into consideration it seems like the V10 manual is the best buy out of all the R8’s at the moment? Would others agree?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The best R8 is the one you buy, different strokes for different folks 🙂
I guess I meant most sensible.

I’m not a rich guy, so if I drop £80k on a midlife crisis car it can’t be one that is still depreciating heavily. Unfortunately the gt3 in my price range is the one with a chocolate engine. So that is ruled out and gt4 is not what I’m looking for.

If I spend £45k on a V10 Manual I’m thinking it will hold its money. If I spend £80k on a gen 2 I think I could lose quite a lot.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Who knows what the future holds. Logic would suggest that this would be possibly the 'best buy' at the moment given it is one of the last big engined, multi cylinder, N/A manuals around, but I purchased my Gen 1 V10 manual exactly 3 years ago and although I have no regrets whatsoever, I didn't expect it to have depreciated as much as it has.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’m very particular with the cars I buy. I know what I want. If I think I want something, I find one and try it. My V10 6MT checked every box for me. The Gen 2 is an awesome ride...but is less raw than the Gen 1 manual. I prefer this. Some like the tech and refinement. Try both and get what makes you smile more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m tempted by this non plus model, but I’m feeling a bit apprehensive due to the price.
9F837BFE-05AE-45DB-8064-E97160CF4240.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sports Plus? Massive spec?
I would at least check this out if I were you.
I might have a drive over on Tuesday.

Is the Audi sport exhaust comparable to a decent aftermarket exhaust?
5F4DB2CF-E03C-4708-946E-AB8C178C4D2D.png

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Looks a nice car and great spec. Satisfy yourself that everything is as it should be though as GC Motors have a somewhat checkered past.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks a nice car and great spec. Satisfy yourself that everything is as it should be though as GC Motors have a somewhat checkered past.
The gt3 story is not very reassuring. Seem to have a few idiots working for them too.

Thanks for the heads up(y)

·
Registered
81 Posts
There's no such thing as a R8 that has stopped depreciating. Not yet anyway. Cars like the Ford GT and some Ferrari's hold their value or appreciate but the R8 is still depreciating. Someone on this site actually posted some data with graphs/charts that showed R8 depreciation by model/year. I believe he even parsed for transmission type and coupe/Spyder. Worth doing a search.

·
Premium Member
4,135 Posts
Buy the R8 that speaks to you.

The Gen-1 and Gen-2 are very different looking cars to my eyes. Yes, there's a lot of DNA under the covers that's in common, but they're aesthetically very different. Likewise, the technology is very different. Gen-1 infotainment, as an example, is far more "out-dated" - that can be a negative, or it can be a positive... all depends on what you value.

For me, Gen-1 is the R8 for me. The looks are beautiful. The car is more "raw" due to things like hydraulic steering, analog dials, real e-brake, real key, no auto-off or cylinder deactivation technologies, and the list goes on. It's the last of a breed... a breed I like very much. :) But it's also the car I fell in love with when it first arrived on the scene.

If depreciation is a concern, clearly buying a car that's depreciated fully (like an early Gen-1) is a smarter move.

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is impossible to estimate what the value of a R8 V8 or V10 will be in the future. In Europe high performance fuel driven cars will be banned in favour of electrical cars. Tax measures will make driving in these cars even more expensive so I guess selling will become more difficult.

·
Registered
848 Posts
In Europe high performance fuel driven cars will be banned in favour of electrical cars.
Whilst I don't doubt that will be a long term aim, I'd be amazed if it will happen ery soon and I'd be even more amazed if it isn't phased in over many years.

Increases in car tax might happen sooner though.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Whilst I don't doubt that will be a long term aim, I'd be amazed if it will happen ery soon and I'd be even more amazed if it isn't phased in over many years.

Increases in car tax might happen sooner though.
You bet. Car tax in Belgium for a Gen 1 R8 V10 is 3800 euro per year calculated by a formula based on hp, cc and CO2 emission….When bying a used model you pay 12000 euro the first year...

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
You bet. Car tax in Belgium for a Gen 1 R8 V10 is 3800 euro per year calculated by a formula based on hp, cc and CO2 emission….When bying a used model you pay 12000 euro the first year...
I paid the equivalent of 2500 Euros this year, can't hardly wait until the car is 15 years old then it's tax free !

·
Registered
163 Posts
I’ve been keeping a eye on gen 2 v10 plus as prices are falling quicker than I anticipated, but a few gen 1 V10 manuals have caught my eye as the prices are ridiculous for what they are. They are going for bmw 1M money in the uk.

I wanted to avoid gen 1 as I’ve read the horror stories about engine out for a a/c fix, but this is not the case with the V10. I also think a V10 manual would not lose much where gen 2 are still in free fall.

Taking everything into consideration it seems like the V10 manual is the best buy out of all the R8’s at the moment? Would others agree?
Gen 1 V10 manual is probably the sweet spot of the range considering current UK prices. Don’t forget to get a PPI (pre-purchase inspection) and be sure to haggle the price down.

And here’s me thinking £570 per year in the UK was expensive...

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
I paid the equivalent of 2500 Euros this year, can't hardly wait until the car is 15 years old then it's tax free !
Not all sun and sangria then Dave. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts